Emphysema Community
85 Members

Mild Emphysema With Severe Symptoms

I was recently diagnosed with emphysema based on a CT scan.  My pft results are in the low normal range.  However, I have progressive muscle weakness, weight loss, shortness of breath and my o2 saturation drops below 90% for several seconds upon exertion.  I also may have some desaturation at night based on a home sleep study.  Until a few months ago I was exercising 30 minutes 5 times a week and felt fine.  Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on?  It doesn't seem like I should be having these symptoms with low normal pft results.
There are many prescription drugs for the treatment of mild emphysema, such as corticosteroids, corticosteroids can effectively reduce inflammation and relieve the symptoms of emphysema. Usually, the hospital may prescribe corticosteroids in the form of an inhaler.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.