Endometriosis Community

Does this sound like pelvic adhesions, ovarian cyst or endometriosis pain?

I had an ectopic pregnancy in May last year.  After surgery I kept on getting vaginal pain deep inside.  A couple months later my doctor said I had a complex ovarian cyst on the opposite ovary which she removed surgically.  It was not very large (3.5cm) and it was a Mucinous cystedenoma.  She also checked my tubes and they were both open.  Plus she mentioned that there was some mild endometriosis which she removed.  After that surgery I started getting the vaginal pain again.  It was very painful the first week after surgery and my first period and then the pain started to subside.  Now it comes and goes but is not as bad as it used to be.  Its very difficult to explain the pain but it is now only on the side where the cyst was but it doesnt pain around the area of the ovary. More like a numbing pain that radiates from high up inside the vagina towards my back where the rectal area is and sometimes its like a paralysing pain around my buttocks on the one side. When I went back to my dr it showed on the ultrasound that the cyst is back (2cm) and she wants to remove it again and maybe even the ovary if it is damaged.  

Im just worried about the pain as I never had this pain before my surgeries.  Could it be scar tissue or endometriosis? Or could the cyst be causing this pain? Im also ttc at the moment.
I can only speak from experience and from all the women I have spoken to throughout the years of advocacy.

It is quite possible that the doctor did not remove all the endo. Not many surgeons (obgyn's) have the skill or knowledge of endometriosis.

Did you get a surgical report? If not please obtain that and all records for anything done from this point on like ultrasound reports or blood work etc.

The gold standard in treating Endometriosis is "excision" which is when the endo is cut out not lasered off. This is very crucial in dealing with endo. It is like an iceberg. If you excise the endo you are getting the root of the disease and if its just being lasered off it doesn't get beneath the surface.

You need an Endo specialist. I can help you out with that if you let me know where abouts you are.

The pain your are describing is called deferred pain if I am not mistaken. It is caused by cysts, scar tissue or endo pressing on a nerve somewhere.

It is also possible that you could have bowel or rectovaginal Endo and if this is the case you really need to see an endo specialist as most reg gynos don't go near that area so it just gets left there.  

If you are interested I have a lot of journals on here regarding my surgeries and all that jazz. You might be able to relate to some of it.

One other thing. I have had 3 surgeries. The first one was done by an endo specialist and it was a 5 hour long surgery. I had stage IV and it was deep along with Rectovaginal/bowel and bladder endo. A few years later I was back in the doctors office and he refused to believe it came back, because he is one of the best and there is at times where the endo can be so deep that even if a tiny tiny microscopic piece was left it will grow back. He sent me to the pain clinic and she did surgery on me because he refused to operate. She botched my surgery as she was not a specialist and she said I had minimal "superficial" endo. Fast forward 2 yrs later when I pretty much demanded that he listened to me and to reoperate and remove the endo he finally did. I had deep endo and recurring rectovaginal endo which is rare to come back, so he might have missed it by not doing a bowel resection as he just shaved it off and this time I had a big part of my vagina removed. So that being said, one surgeon may see one thing but a specialist knows exactly where to look just by symptoms.

I hope that helps.