Endometriosis Community

ENDOMETRIOSIS - Diagnosed by Symptoms

Hello. I am still in high school.

I had my first gynecological visit ever this week. The GYN diagnosed me with endometriosis. From previous, knowledge, I knew automatically that this was serious.

She prescribed me strong pain meds and hormonal birth control.

I am very scared. She did not perform a laparoscopy. What if it's something else? Or, what is birth control is not enough? What if it's very extensive and I have, say adhesions?  :(((

First of all, I can see that you are very anxious. Don't worry so much. Endometriosis is a pretty common condition among women. It is estimated that 10-20% of women of childbearing age have endometriosis.

The only way to confirm endometriosis is to perform a laparoscopy. So you don't even know if you definitely have it.

Because of your age, it is very very unlikely that you have something something more serious than endometriosis or some kind of infection of genital tract.
No need to worry since you have not truly been diagnosed! I would recommend you see an endometriosis specialist...
1 out of every 10 women have endometriosis...the most important protocol to get rid of endometriosis is early diagnosis (which you are young and it is suspected so this is good not bad!) then the next step in this is to see and endometriosis excision specialist to have your diagnostic laproscopy (which is not a big deal) and by having this done by a specialist rather then your regular gyn...they will excise (cut out) all disease found and you should be good if they get it all...the only chance of getting it all out though is with an endometriosis excision specialist...so please find a specialist so you have a good outcome to this disease!