Endometriosis Community

Endo or kidney stones?

I have been having increasingly worse periods the last year (ever since I had my daughter), but especially the last 3-6 months. Then noticed I was extremely tired, have almost constant lower back pain, and had off and on abdominal pain some extremely sharp-took my breathe away (during period) others just random off and on pain. Also noticed a swollen gland in groin that's been there almost 2 months (no pain there). Went to ob/gyn for uti symptoms and gland, no bacteria found, but slight blood in urine. I always feel like I have a uti right before and during my period, and sometimes feel irritated "down there" after I pee--randomly throughout each month. I've also been bloated for about 2 months. (Also, my dad has aweful kidney stones) I was referred to urologist, he thinks it's endo, ordered ct scan, but I haven't had it yet...does anyone have any suggestions or similar issues, I'm feeling really lost and confused!!??
After the birth of my daughter the endo symptoms increased almost 80%  They say that after you have a child it is supposed to be better but it did the reverse for me.  The only way to find out if you have endo is to have an exploritory lap, a CT will not show if you have it.  
Oh...thankyou, I thought a ct would show something, so what is the reasoning behind the dr. wanting to do that? Is it to rule out other things like tumors, etc...? Also, can you describe the pain you feel and where it is...I know it's different for everyone, it just seems like a lot of my pain changes daily. I did have a pelvic ultrasound almost 2 months ago because they thought I had ovarian cysts, but it showed only very small ones and said they were no big deal and would go away on their own!?
He is probably sending you to rule out stones plus anything else that might show up, like cysts etc.  I had 7 ultrasounds and 1 CT scan before my surgery and all of them had trouble finding my ovaries and I think that because of how severe my endo was it should have shown up on the ultrasound and CT scan because i had kissing ovaries.  Both ovaries were attached to the back of my uterus.  I am glad i had the surgery but they should have caught that too.  I think that is the only way they can confirm that diagnosis, for the most part unless you have a lap that is the only way to figure it out.  I also had a CA-125 taken (blood test for ovarian cancer)  the levels should be below 35 my first one i was on my period and it was 38 the second one was when i was ovulating and it was 78.  Once i took the pill it came back down, so they determined that my insides were inflammed and that i had endo.  I requested mine.

I was in pain since my first period.  It was never okay it was always bad.  nothing worked, i would have to lie down on my back with my legs bent just to get some form of relief.  I would feel numbing, my legs and lower back would go hot, and just down right painful.  I never took days off school because i didnt think that anyone would understand and that it was normal. I had sharp pains all of the sudden come in my rectum.  After i had my daughter i got really bad pains, plus i was totally all over the place with my emotions.  When i went on the pill it helped with that.  One day i was having serious pains on my right side and it wouldnt go away.  I was told as well that i had IBS and i was always constipated.  I went to the ER and they said i probably had a cyst.  So i was online and read this thing about a colon cleanse, well let me tell you i did this cleanse and it was the most excrutiating pain i have ever felt in my life.  It was labour x100.  it was one steady contraction like and it lasted for hours.  I think that the cleanse irritated the endo and maybe even tore something lose becausei have never felt that again.  Right now i dont get a period but i still feel like I am ovulating and still get pain.  

How big were the cyst?  Just some advice ask for a copy of all the tests that you do.  My cysts ended up shrinking from 10cm to 2 and 5cm cysts i think they might have even shrunk more before my surgery but let me tell you the cysts didnt matter because my insides were covered with adhesions and cysts.  

How old are you?  that matters as well.

I hope that helps :)

angela
I can't remember how big they were, possibly 1.5cm on each side w/very small spots all over they said!?...I need to get another copy, my sister works in the medical field and requested them for me but she lives 3 hrs. away. Anyways, I'm 25, and never had any issues until now, well basically since my daughter. The only thing I had before I had her was blood in my urine which started when I was pregnant, and uti symptoms but no bacteria. A lot of the pain I get is random throbs or dull and constant w/an occasional sharp pain. But a lot of sharp pains during my period. I also get this numbing pain in my legs and butt during my period?? Very strange to me!!
.....and could a swollen gland in my groin for the past 2 months have anything to do w/this as well?
There could many reason why you would have swollen glands, that I would check seperately because I dont think it has to do with endo, but you never know. I jsut have never heard of that.  Have you always had pains with your periods or just after your daughter was born?  I am thinking its a bladder thing if you havent had these symtpoms before, but you can never be too old to have endo either.  
Yea, the pain w/periods were never bad until after I had her. I thought it was strange too, but it wasn't until after I told the dr. about the swollen gland that he said he thought it was endo...I guess I'll never know until I get some tests done and so on! Thankyou though!!
Hi there
I feel for you. I know what it is like to have pain and not be able to do anything about it. First off ultrasounds can suck for endo for the simple fact that it can miss it BIG time. I would suggest going and getting a lap done if you think you have endo. When they do a lap they can go in and move things around and really look around. I had many internal and external ultrasounds done and every time I was told I was fine even though I felt like I was going to die. After years of this I finally had a lap done and I was told I have endo every where and I am the worst case my doc has seen in years. Chances for kids now are low because of this. I believe if I would have had the lap years ago it would not have been this bad. So I am a clear case that a lap is the best way to go. Some of my symptoms where tiredness, lower back and ab pain, heavy heavy flow, cramping out of no where specially during or after sex and painful bowel movements. I know you said you have some of these symptoms, so it is a good chance you have endo. Also make sure you take iron when you have your perod.  Most women loose a lot of iron during their period and it causes you to be tired, so that may help you a little. Now as for the swollen lymph node. Lymph nodes usual swell because they have trapped a viruse, bacteria, or you have had trauma to that area, ect.. and are stopping it from spreading. Swollen lymp nodes are a good thing, it tells you your body is aggresive in fighting off what ever you have. A swollen lymph node can be a number of things and even after the infection has cleared a lymph node can stay swollen for weeks or months. A virus or bacteria infection are the big things for swollen lymph nodes and it is a good chance you have underlying issues you are unaware of. When did you have your last pap? You have said you have been feeling like you have been getting uti's but they found no bacteria,  I would suggest going back to your doc and talk about other issues that could cause these symptoms as there are different problems that cause uti symptoms that have nothing to do with bacteria. That way you can rule out any underlying issues that could be causing your swollen lymp nodes.  Good luck to you and I hope you find out what is wrong so you can begin to deal with it :)
Thankyou!!! I just had a pap a month ago and everything was fine. My abdominal pain is either out of nowhere sharp and severe or dull and achy, somewhat like mild period cramps from hip to hip. Also, my swollen lymph node has never hurt at all, so I dont know if that has anything to do w/not being an infection?? I have a personal question though, I'm confused when people say pain during or after sex...I have pain during if we aren't gentle enough (I mean very gentle!), and lots of pain after mostly feeling like burning and extremely irritated down there...is this some of the pain assoc.? I tried to get in sooner w/my dr. and couldnt...I do have a ct scan friday, but I'm now learning that that prob won't show any of this!? Then see a new urologist the 13th...I'm just not sure if they are sending me to the right doctors!? The last urologist said he thought it was endo, and def. not kidney stones, but I'm starting to become very confused and just need an answer!!! Thankyou so much for your help, any more info is greatly appreciated!!!
The pain women feel can all be different depending on the women. Some women have endo everywhere and never find out about it or find out about it by fluke because they have no pain, others can be in tons of pain and really have only a little bit of endo. Your ab pain sounds like endo as most women have dull pain that can come and go. Some women when they have sex will feel like their man is hitting a wall inside with every thrust. Some women feel uncomfortable every time their man goes in. No matter how they position themselves it feels like he isn't in right and feels as if he is pushing in all the wrong places (feels like he is crooked, poking lower back, poking upper belly) and that there is no where for him to go. With these feelings comes the pain!!!! Most women will experience dull pain every time the man thrusts if the women can allow him to even move(some women can allow movement and can handle the pain while others can only handle slight movement) however this pain can change very fast if he thrusts to hard or moves in the wrong way and sharp pain can surge through your whole lower region. This  can cause cramping through the whole lower body lasting for mins or hours. Some women have pain the whole time and others can have pain off and on through intercourse. My personal pain was all over the place. I would feel like my man was pushing into my spine and I could never be comfortable with him, it always felt like he was poking me. I would have huge amounts of dull pain high up and than bang he would move worng or I would move wrong and I would be doubled over all cramped up. My belly would bloat and I would lie curled up for a good hour or two. The first time this happened I went to the hospital cause it lasted so long. I also found that after I had an orgasm I would have huge amounts of pain and feel like my lower belly was going to blow.  Leg pain(dull most of the time) is very common for me too so watch for that. The reason you feel pain this way is because your vagina is like an elastic and went it stretches the endo doesn't want to move with it, this causes inflammation with your endo. The pain than usually causes you to clamp your pc muscles which makes it hard for your man to move and you get irritated, loose moisture and become raw. Pain during intercourse isn't the only time for pain though. you can have pain on and off, find it hard to use tampons (if you can at all) and you can have painful bowel movements or pain in the buttocks or butt region. I feel like I'm sitting sitting on glass before my period and a little into it so I always know when I am going to get my flow. Endo and kidney stones can cause bladder problems however endo doesn't produce blood in your urine not that I have heard of anyway but don't quote me on that. Most cases when there is blood in your urine is when you have a uti or kidney stones. The next step for you since your pap came back normal and the fact that your dad had kidney stone problems, is ask your doc to do blood work and see if there is any abnormalities in your blood work that will show if your kidneys are functioning right. If they have an app for a ct go for it just to get it out of the way, who knows the might find something. After that if you have the blood work done and it comes out clean and the ct comes up normal urge them to do a lap on you an I mean URGE!!!! don't take no for an answer. I had to finally urge to get a lap cause of my age, they over looked me as having nothing and since your young they are most likely doing the same thing. When they do the lap they can look at your cysts and see if you have any high up as well. At any right ab pain is abnormal and should not be over looked so again URGE them to do a lap if nothing shows up, specialy since you do have cysts. Laps aren't the most fun things to go through. I was lucky and was up walking that day, but it is something that I would tell everyone to get when they think they have endo. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking, as some places don't have good health care providers and that could limit you as well. Hope this helps, keep us posted and ask me anything if you need to :)
by the way here is a link to my fave endo site on the net take a look
www.endo-resolved.com  :)
I live in Rochester, NY...I think partially the reason things are taking longer as well is because I was referred to a urologist by my ob/gyn and he was pretty rude to me so I've been waiting to get in w/another woman I found. The "rude dr." told me he thought endo, but that was going on no tests, etc, just symptoms and blood in urine which I think is strange too. I haven't exactly heard of anyone else w/blood in urine that has endo, unless it gets on the bladder and can cause irritation, and possibly gets in the bladder, which is extremely rare I guess?? Can it be on my bladder and not on ovaries like the common places? I feel like my bladder is being kicked by my daughter when I was pregnant a lot, which I get that feeling everyday. So, when they saw cysts on ovaries, they told me they were completely normal and go away on their own then I started the pill to help. I also can't put a tampon in all the way like I use to be able to it does hurt too much and seems like anything touching all the way up there hurts too much (especially sex). I'm just so confused now and drive myself crazy thinking about this! Also, it seems like as the day goes on and sometimes all day, my lower back just aches and sometimes kills, then other days my pelvic area aches like period cramps and I just got done with period or random sharp pains!? My stomache has also been bloated for around 2 months now, somedays not as bad though! I'm just lost I guess and need some tests, or maybe lap if they find nothing~I will ask! Also, do you think I should have a cystoscopy~the last dr. recommended it, but I canceled until I get in w/new dr.~sorry if I sound confusing, I'm starting to confuse myself!!! Thankyou so much for your detailed description of pain...when people say pain I wonder what kind of pain and how it really feels!!!
Don't worry about being confused, I have been there and you have ever right to worry and be confused. This is your body and you know there is an issue to worry about :). It is up to you if oyu want to go for a cystoscopy. You are having bladder issues and when they do a cyctoscopy they can see if you have any issues with your lining or bladder. If you have any cysts or tissue that needs to be removed they can do that to while they are in there, so really that is up to you. It is a good option. I thought you meant you had an app for a cystoscopy on fri, so I take it you have a cat scan on fri than am I right?
Yea, I have cat scan friday. But I'm thinking it won't show anything in reguards to my symptoms...which is probably a good thing!! But then I will need other things done to figure this out I'm sure!! When might they decide to do a lap if no answers from tests?
I just had my sister read my pelvic ultrasound results to me again, it said there were numerous follicles on both sides (along w/the small cysts, one on each ovary) and uterine lining is mildy thick, but looks normal...could that tell me anything??
It's up to the doc when to give you a lap. If they decide to do a lap than they will book you for surgery when they have an opening for you. I have been booked and gone in after only a week and others I have had to wait. Now for your ultrasound.  Each month you have a few follicles (look like tiny cysts) that start to develop on your ovaries, one of these will  fully develop and go on to ovulate and the rest will go away. What is abnormal is if you have more than 12 of these on each ovary and they don't go away which is called POSC. I wouldn't worry to much about what they found as it sounds normal and if you only have two small cysts they should go away. A cat scan may show you if you have kidney problems and thats why they most likely want you to go for one. I would go and see if they can see anything. since you already have one booked. However a cat scan most likely won't show endo or bladder problems. If you still don't have any results after friday from the scan ask about a cystoscopy and a lap as I think this is a better way for you to go.