Endometriosis Community

Ladies I need your expertise with Depo Provera 150mg

I had a laparotomy 8 weeks ago for bilateral endometriomas and adhesions. My follow up with the gynecologist was today she wants me to have Depo Provera shots every 3 months 150 mg for the advanced endometriosis. She said this can cause weight gain. Then when she saw my reaction she said only a couple of pounds. Will this stop the endometriosis or only provide pain management. I don't want to go against her recommendation but I wonder if I should get a second opinion.
Hi Joe!

I've had endometriosis for about 14 years now... I'm 23 now. I tried Depo Provera at the age of 16. I had a smaller dose once a month. I wasn't advised of the weight gain that I would be getting lol I went from a size 5 to a size 10 within 6 months. I don't know how old you are but at 16, still in high school, I wasn't too happy. I decided to quit the treatment after a year.

After that, I tried all other treatments... pills, patches, Mirena (which I will NEVER recommend to anyone) and now I am on Depot Lupron which puts you into menopause. The way endometriosis was explained to me is that if you stop your period, the endometriosis cannot spread. What I can suggest to you is to give it a try. Every woman reacts differently and if weight gain is the only "bad" thing that can happen, it's honestly not that bad. If it can work for you, then give it a try.

You do not want to get to the point where I'm at. I now wish that I had toughed it out and dealt with it. Weight gain is nothing compared to hot flashes, insomnia, rapid bone density loss and many other nasty things.

Hopefully you'll give it a try. Also, with endo, you do have to change your diet. Check it out on the web, certain foods can make endo worse. So maybe if the weight gain does happen, you can make diet changes that can help both the endo and the weight gain :(

Keep us updated and good luck!
I am still tryin to figure out the best treatment for me, but while i was reading about the depo, i found out that there is a different depo shot just for endo. Its depo-subq provera 104. Its claims its for the pain management.
I am in the same boat...tryng to figure out the best treatment for my endo.  My gyno suggested continual birth control pills or Depo Provera shot.  I am too worried about the weight gain as a side affect from the depo shot.  Still doing my research....
Hi Karen,

I feel the same way as you do. Can you let me know if you get anymore information. From what I am reading the weight gain can be substantial and I don't think the shot is a long term solution for the endo. Did you end up finding out what stage of endometriosis you have ?  How is the stomach swelling coming along, I remember reading some posts of yours from some other questions I had started and I remember you were trying to dress up some drawstring pants. I am in the same boat as you but I am 9 weeks post op and still swollen. Some people said it takes 3 months. I seem to have gained around 5 pounds as well since the surgery maybe because I am not as active as I usually asm. Anyways take care of yourself and give me some news..
I wonder what the difference between the two depo shots are and I wonder why my gyno recommended the other depo shot if the depo-subq provera 104 shot is specific for endo ?
i think it is new, not sure. all i know is when i googled endo treatments it poped up. the website for it is still under construction.
What's the difference between  Provera  and Lupron?

I heard that weight gain is not the only side affect. You can also get acne, hair loss, and bone density loss?

Also, birth control pills doesn't get rid of your period completely, right? So when you do have a period, won't your endometriosis come back every month?

I think although I am no expert that the Lupron puts you into menopause whereas the Provera is a birthcontrol which is less strong. I have read all the same side effects and that is why I am very hesitant to have a shot that I am stuck with side effects for 3 months at least. It is not like a pill that you can just stop overnight, the shot lasts a long time in your system. I don't think irregardless of what they give any method is fullproof I believe I read that endometriosis can still return even in women who get hysterectomies. I am to say the least confused and wondering if the surgery is enough for now and I should just wait and see how it goes.
Hey ladies, i just found this all natural product that claims can help with endo. When i can afford it, i am going to buy it and try it. Heres the website if you want to check it out yourselfs   www.endovan.com  At this point i am willing to try anything because the first & only BC pill that i ever took, i had a reaction to.
Hi. I remember that you said it's been like 9 weeks since your surgery.

Are you taking any birth control pills right now?

It's been 8 weeks since my surgery and I'm not taking anything right now because I'm trying to conceive. But I'm very scared that my cyst will grow back.

The only 2 birth control pills I tried in the past is Alesse, which was ok for me, no side effects. I also took a progesterone only pill, which gave me a lot of acne. The reason I took the pills was to regulate my heavy period a few years ago, when I didn't even know I had endo yet.