Aa
A
A
A
Close
Endometriosis Community
2.57k Members

Pain after laparoscopy

I wondered if anyone who had had a laparoscopy could tell me how long it hurt for.

I still feel quite alot of pain when walking after a week and wondered if that is normal, as everywhere I read that people resume normal activities after a couple of days.

I am not doubled up or anything, its just like having a constant stitch, and when i take a step, especially around my belling button there is a kind of sharp tugging pain. Also some stabbing pains too that just seem to happn even when sitting still.

Just wanted to know if this is usual, I expcet it is, but thought I would ask others who had had similar, who might tell me how long until the abdomen feels normal again.

Thanks
231 Responses
I had a laporotomy a year ago, and I still have some pain. I remember I still couldnt walk around for at least two weeks. Each person is different. I couldnt even get out of bed or sit up on my own after two weeks. So, each person is different, and I wouldnt worry until its like 4 weeks, and you still have major difficulties. Good Luck with a speedy recovery!
Hello, I had a laparoscopy and ovary and tube removal in mid March and I am still having some pain by my navel incision and by the incision where the ovary was. I think healing takes awhile. Since it has only been a short time for you, I would say, try and be patient with your body.

Linda J
I had a laparoscopy last week but only had the cyst removed, no organs. I am back to normal save for a bit of bruising. Every once in a while, I feel a slight pain when I move the wrong way - reminds me I had surgery. I'm back in my normal clothing, very little bloating left. Guess I was lucky.

Linda
I am 8 weeks post-surgery, and yes... you will have pain, especially since you are only one week post-surgery. The belly button pulling-feeling is normal, and will last several weeks.
I was walking like a 70yr old (I'm 28) for about two weeks after surgery. It was only after that point that I could walk (mostly) normally again. Stairs were painful. I went up them one at a time and usually had to pause at the top or bottom and let my muscles go floppy. We use those ab muscles more than we really think!
In just a general scheme of things, don't really plan on doing anything moderately active for about two weeks, and then just little things, like going for a walk or something.
Hang in there... it does improve!
~Marianne
I had a Lap done about 2 weeks ago.  I noticed the day after surgery, my dissoveable stitches were poking out some.  Now 2 weeks later, the bottom ones are still to be seen, but not the top ones around my belly button; they have disappeared under the skin, and are red, swollen and itchy.  I do also feel some pain in my abdominal area, also  around the belly button area, and lower left; comes and goes.  Is this normal?  

Grace
I had a 16cm cyst and right ovary removed 2 weeks ago and I've just stopped taking painkillers. I still having to lie flat most of the time though and can't sit more than an hour without pain. Wubbie3 -  I laughed at your stairs comment as I've been much the same. I find that if I have a shower, wash my hair and go down 2 flights of stairs to a shop and back I need to lie down for a while and maybe even have a snooze. I was driven to a nearby shopping centre and was out less than 1.5 hrs, went to 2 shops and had lunch 2 days ago, but I found that too much, and I ended up in bed before 7pm asleep, not having eaten all my dinner. I've taken it a bit easier since and found that I'm getting better each day, but still not into jeans yet. Good luck with the recovery folks. Sounds like it just takes a little longer for some.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.