Epilepsy Community

Epilepsy or Thyroid issues?

I had half my thyroid removed in 2012. I started getting seizures after that when I got pregnant with my daughter when I was about 9 weeks. Then they came about every three months. A month after my daughter was born I had a grand mal seizure. They have done an MRI, CT, EEG and still have found nothing. They put me on medication but I still don't think that it is epilepsy. I am really wondering if it has to do with my thyroid getting removed.
Hi there,
After removal of thyroid gland few people may have hypoparathyroidism as a common side effect which can lead to hypocalcemia. Carpopedal spasm and tetany can occur and cause movement disorders such as chorea, as well as symptoms of increased intracranial pressure or epileptic seizures. These symptoms can sometimes occur months and years after thyroidectomy.For more queries and assistance visit  an endocrinologist and get blood calcium and other tests done. Keep me posted on how you are doing.
Best wishes and regards!