Epilepsy Community

Keppra and Irratibility

my 7 year duaghter has Nocturnal Complex Partial seizures and has been on Keppra liquid for 1 year now.  they just increased her dose to 8 ml in the am and 10 ml in the pm.  she has been extremely grumpy, irritable and very down in the slumps.  Has anybody else experienced this?  the Dr. thinks that she should talk to a Shrink, but I think it all has to do with the medication as she is normally a very happy, loving and caring girl...now she is very pessimistic on EVERYTHING!!!  I don't know what to do and I know that this is not my child's normal behavior...I feel so bad for her and feel guilty for having her to take this medication and feel like this on a day to day basis....any insight from anybody???
I also take Keppra. It takes my appetite away completely. I also get very grumpy and irritable at times (especially in the evening). It seems to be related to not eating as much though (for me).

Keppra has fewer side effects than many other seizure medications, but irritability and depression are definitely listed side effects. For your Dr to completely dismiss it as a side effect is rather strange to me. I would probably want a 2nd opinion.

I read something on rxlist about moodswings and irritibility related to Keppra. It's believed that Keppra makes your brain "dump" Vitamin B6 at times which lowers dopamine or seratonin levels and makes you feel horrible.

Does your daughter take vitamins? I'd try some Vitamin B6 if her multivitamin doesn't contain it. I started taking Trader Joe's High Potency vitamins and feel much, much better since starting.

Good luck. I do think it's the Keppra causing her problems though (from a mom and a keppra patient).
She takes B6 along with her multi vitamin every day...i am still searching for the B6 liquid so it will be easier to take ...I think the B6 helps alot and i also read that fish oil REALLY helps with the brain and especially for people who have siezures and other brain disorders, but i cannot get a clear answer from the past 2 Dr.s on whether or not she should take this...It is just so hard to deal with sometimes, that i am willing to try ALMOST anything to take away the grumpiness and mood swings...thanks for your insight
Hi-
My son also used to have nighttime seizures due to frontal lobe epilepsy.  When he was on Keppra he was very irritable and his neuro-doc warned me that this was a potential side effect.  
did you still keep him on Keppra or change medications?   I am almost at the point of requesting another med.  They want to up her Keppra again, but warned me that the irritability will get worse.  I cannot take much more...she will bite your head off for just touching her and her younger sister gets the most of her mood swings!!
I just got back from my dr, they want to wean me from dilantin to Keppra, b/c of "chest pain side effects" and continued problems with balance issues after last sz.
  Crabby'ness? oh just great!  now i got that to ""look forward to""?
I just went to the neurologist yesterday and switched.
I gave Keppra a fair chance (6 weeks) and it's not for me (or my poor husband). He switched me to Lamictal which is also used to stabilize mood swings in people with Bipolar I. After reading that I felt pretty relieved. It's going to be a Happy New Year for me in 2009!

I recommend switching. I can't imagine how a child must feel on this medicine. She really can't help herself.

KixNgo - I loved dilantin. It was wonderful. I wish I could take that again. Keppra is supposed to have fewer side effects than dilantin (especially long term side effects). If you get the irritibility and mood swings though it just doesn't go away.
Thanks for the heads up.. yes,.. so long to our friend dilantin..
I hope the slight tremors, stuttering, and co-ordination issues from last sz go away.
Hi, i´m a Colombian medicine student, my gilfriend is too, we´re 19, and she´s focal temporal epilepsy, now she´s taking carbamazepine (1gr/day), but she´s slepiness all the time and it interfere with her studdies. Her neurologist talked her about Keppra because it has ñess side efects, but i´m scared about the things you wrote... Would you talk me about sleepiness with keppra and more about your general expirience??? i would really appreciate that, you can write me (if you want) to my e-mail or by this way (dr.***@**** or ***@****). thank you so much
All individuals will experience varying degrees of side effects from different medications. Keppra was a really bad drug for me, but my sister takes it twice daily for epilepsy and has virtually no side effects. Studies indicate that most people taking Keppra have very few side effects. Most common are things like dizziness and a "foggy" feeling that goes away after a couple of weeks.

The best thing to do is listen to her Dr and try it out. For whatever reason I started experiencing odd side effects like anger, depression and irritibility. My experience is not the norm. I hope it works for her seizures and she feels better on Keppra.
My daughter has done great on Keppra, except the irritability...the Dr.'s do not know if this is a side effect from the Keppra (I think it is) or because she is 7 and going thru changes....my personal opinion it is the Keppra, otherwise she has tolerated Keppra really well and has controlled her seizures real well. Good luck with it.  I hope it works well for your girlfriend!!  Stay on it for at least 2-3 months to give it a chance...most side effects will go away after your body gets used to it.
Becky,  
Let me know how you do on the Lamictal.  I finally got a new Dr. to understand what my daughter and our family is going thru and they were talking about switching her med...We will find out on Jan 8th what the Dr. wants to do.  I hope it works for you.
thanks.. I hope so it works to my girlfriend with out irritability...
Keppra has worked wonders for me. People said I was practically a zombie on my last combination of meds. There have been a few side effects and irritability is one of them. My way of dealing with it is to do sports, judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I feel less irritable, grumpy and generally more pleasant to be around. My wife can definitely see the difference in me.
Sorry it took so long for me to get back with you.  My son was taken off Keppra due to the irritability.  I finally found a med that works miracles....Trileptal.  His seizures stopped completely!!!  And zero side effects!!!  Now, this drug is expensive as hell, but my insurance pays for it...but even if they didn't it would be worth it.

Best of luck!!!
I read that with Trileptal, it contains a sedation med....have you experienced any of the sleepiness or anything like that with him? I'm just so nervous about switching drugs with her, but she is irritable on the Keppra.    I read a bunch of blogs on the Lamictel and will NOT put my daughter thru all of those horrible side effects i have read about.  We go to yet another new Ped. Neuro next week....i'll get his opinion on the Trileptal as wll.

The trileptal made him a little drowsy...but he's on a very large dose (he's 17).  He takes a larger dose at night than in the morning so as not to interfere so much with school.
And yes, Lamictal is not good.  Topomax is really bad as well...very, very bad.
I am following this discussion with great interest. I have an 18 year old who is on Lamictal 3 times a day.  You say it is not good.  Can you please tell me more.  My daughter is also on Keppra and she is SO grumpy it drives us all in sane.  I didn't put the two together until I read your comments.
My Daughter is now on Keppra, she was seizure free for 8 years, At 2 years old she had over 100 seizures a day. No meds worked. There ia a very effective cure for seizures, it's called the Keitogenic Diet. It cured My Daughter, then when her menstra came we had tonic clonics. I plan on putting her back on the diet.
     The diet is close to the adkins diet. John Freeman at John Hopkins University has done a case study, so now the is Proof!!! Also There is a new way to get Versed to the brain in an instant. There is a cone, being studied at Primary Childrens Hospital. it goes on the end of a serienge please forgive my spealing. This stops grand mals in an instant. I also found that my Daughter has mio clonics for 15 min before every tonic clonic. At the first sign I give liquid Diazepam then it's a race between the grand mal or the diazepam. I have only lost the race once, I put the Versed in her nose as soon as her eyes started rolling back in her head. One min later she was safe and talking to me. To my knowlage I'm the only one doing this, It feels so good not to have to ride through the grand mals. Everything I  have said here is a true and I will help anyone suffering with the knowlage God has blessed me with, with love, Alex,
the blogs that I read about Lamictel were horrible, people would have horrible, disturbing nightmares, hallucinations, and broke out in a very bad rash, which most of them described as being very painful red bumps on their face and chest area, that do not go away....that is something that I do not want my daughter to go thru...she is way too young for any of that.  My experience with Keppra is that my 7 yr old daughter gets very irritable.  we now have her on 50 mg of B6 twice a day and that has helped alot with her irritability.  she is tolerating Keppra well with the exception of that one side effect, but like i said the B6 has helped her tremendously.  After speaking with her new Dr., she recommended we stay clear of Lamictel and topamax...she suggested Trileptal only if her irritability gets worse, but right now, we seem to have that under control and are sticking with the Keppra.  I hope all works out for you.  Ask your Dr. about the B6...it has really helped us out with her grumpiness!!!!!! Good luck and let me know if I can help you in any other way...
Thanks to all of you...these blogs have really helped me and my family and have gotten great advice from you guys....I hope that we can help more people out there just from our experience!!  Michele
Just wondering, how much B6 is your daughter on.  I haven't tried any vitamin supplements but I have tried powerade during the warmer months and find that the extra electrolytes do help keep some of the seizures away.
Can you tell us more about this diet..?
Keppra and irritability... well.. i'm thinking, this dag headache i wake up with EVERY day.. could have some to do with the 'crabbies' my family says they do not notice it.. but I sure do.. and I'm holding it all in(the crabbies)

ANYONE ELSE WAKE UP WITH A HEADACHE?
i take my KeppraXR at night b4 bed cuz it also makes me tired, and my tummy hurt..
well i don't know because with each person it is different and some side effects may vary because I took keppra and fixed right on up and i don't remember being irritated and sleepy. I was my normal self. I was happy.