Epilepsy Community

My 21 month son rolls his Eyes up once/twice a day

My son is 21 months old. he rolls his eyes once or some times twice in a day. Sometimes he blinks both eyes first 3-4 times and then immedatedly rolls eyes up for a second or less. His eyes go up while sitting, in arms and even while walking. it lasts for less than or just a second. If we see him do that and call for him,or shake him, he responds sometimes and some times he doesn't. He otherwise while playing as well doen't respond many a time so we can't tell the difference. If we don't call him, he would do that and then continue playing or doing what he was. We have never notices he doing this and going out of balance or falling down or any other symptom like fists becoming tight simultaneously. He is otherwise a normal kid but often gets excited. I am worried about this 'eyes rolling' thing. I need to know if it is an indication for something serious. please advice. Thank you.

How long has your child been experiencing this? Differentials to be ruled out include: absence seizure, mental retardation, autism or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.

Absence seizure involves only a brief, sudden lapse of conscious activity. This may look like the child is merely staring into space for a few seconds.  Signs of absence seizures may include: staring, lip smacking, fluttering eyelids, chewing, or  hand movements. Absence seizures last only a few seconds. Full recovery is almost instantaneous. Afterward, there is no confusion, but also no memory of the incident. True absence seizures cannot be interrupted by voice or touch. They also often occur right in the middle of a child's conversation or physical activity.

For a proper diagnosis, it would be best to have your child evaluated by your doctor. A detailed description of your child's symptom; blood tests which can help rule out other potential causes of seizures; EEG  or brain scan may help with ruling out seizure disorders and other causes.

Take care and keep us posted.