Aa
A
A
A
Close
Epilepsy Community
1.81k Members
183202 tn?1219857259

Photosensitive Temporal Lobe Epilepsy or...?

Hey guys. For years I have suffered from recurring panic disorder/panic attacks. During that time, I was treated with a antidepressant, Zoloft. I have heard of Zoloft sometimes causing people who are prone to seizures to have recurrent seizure symptoms while on the medication. I was on the pill for about a month, on 25 MG (the lowest dosage possible). It was a living hell for me. I had head electrical sensations surging through my brain and up and down my spine, times were my brain seemed to 'lock up' and I stuttered (this happened maybe twice), once where my right leg buckled up and I could not even move it. Mind you I was completely conscious and aware during this time. I tried telling my GP about it, but she brushed it off as 'just my panic attacks.' But these symptoms were new, and debilitating, and happened every day, sometimes several times a day, for months. I was only on the medicine for ONE month when she just told me 'to quit it cold turkey. It made my symptoms 10-fold worse than they already were. It was during this time that I had the incident where my leg buckled up and I could not move it, and I swore it was probably a partial seizure.... I could hardly talk as it was going on as well, even though my brain had racing thoughts and I wanted to speak, but couldn't. Since then I am in remission, and have had VERY few related incidents. I was out of work for an entire year after my graduation.... and I had become extremely agoraphobic for awhile. Mind you this was back in 2006-2007... I was put on a VERY high dosage of Lorazepam (Ativan), which is used for both panic disorder sufferers, and started retaking multivitamins, and my symptoms improved drastically. I took 2 MG 3x daily of the Lorazepam for years. But as time went on, I also noticed I was slightly photosensitive. A minor strobe light does not affect me, but if in a room with dark lights or flashing colored lights for awhile, I start to get the dizziness, tingling sensations all over again. Just not as severe as before. I also find it slowly getting harder to speak. Leaving the area usually calms the symptoms quickly.

I do not know if it is just me (in my head) or if I should get tested for photosensitive temporal lobe seizures?? I can be fine most of the time, but depending on the speed of the lights, the amount, etc., then I can start to get the tingling sensations and dizziness, depersonalization, etc. all over again. However, I am NEVER in a state of panic during this time. It is all PHYSICAL symptoms. My heart will race as well AT TIMES, but I have had attacks and just laid there calmly waiting for the symptoms to pass. Back when I was on the Zoloft, the symptoms could go on for 30+ minutes. I think this is why my docs determined it was likely stress induced/anxiety, but what about the photosensitivity bit? I won tickets to ride on a limo bus, and the bus has flourescent and flashy lights in it, and I am going to go to a concert where strobe lights might be displayed... I am both excited AND nervous about going, due to the fact that I was never fully diagnosed if I indeed did have photosensitive partial seizures, or if it was just panic. I don't know what to do?

Should I get tested? And should I go to the concert? I mean this is a once in a lifetime experience to ride on a limo bus and attend a concert, but I am scared of having a seizure on the bus if I indeed DO have epilepsy of some sort.

I took tests years ago back when I was on the Zoloft, but the EEG's and strobe light test showed nothing, even though I was experiencing in the room from an attack when he did the strobe light test, the EEG picked up nothing. I even did an overnight (or was it a week-long?) EEG monitor, and nothing.
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Minneapolis, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease