Epilepsy Community

Seizures only nocturnal and only recent at age 86?

How many really older persons have seizures.? Please tell me you experience with diagnosis?
My husband had first one 6 months ago, went on Epilim EC200 with 4 tabs /day. He has not been examined by a neurologist as far as I know, but has been examined on every other test available, I think. May not have all the expertise available in the USA here in Australia?
Hi there,
The common causes of seizures in old patients are cerebrovascular disease, dementia, gliomas, meningiomas, vasculitis, hypertensive encephalopathy etc. Investigations like EEG, carotid and basilar artery ultrasound, orthostatic blood pressure measurement and routine biochemical and hematological screening can help differentiate between possible underlying causes. Seeing a neurologist for correct diagnosis and management of his condition is very important. Treatment will depend on the cause. I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!