Epilepsy Community

Was it a seizure

My 7 year old son was resently diagnosed with Complex partial seizure disorder. This weekend, my husband was home with him and said my son called out to him. When my husband went to him, my son said daddy I feel funny. My husband seems to think it was nothing, I on the other hand have doubts. Since this episode, he has been very aggitated at school and at home, very short tempered, tired, just not acting like himself. This same thing happened for about a week after he had his first seizure that we witnessed. I also often wonder if he is having seizures in his sleep and find myself constantly watching every move he makes. The seizures that we witnessed only lasted about one  or two minutes. He called my name, I went over to see what he wanted and he suddenly "froze" he could not speak, he was just staring, and acted as though he was tasting something with his mouth. The second one happened that same afternoon after returning from the ER. Again, he said Mommy I feel funny. Then he started to stare and again could not focus, speak, and started with his mouth as if he were tasting something. We immediatedly took him back to the ER and at this point he was placed on Keppra. We then followed up with a Peds. Nuerologist and he was diagnosed with Complex Partial.
I had complex-partial seizures when I was a child and am sorry to hear about your son developing them. Seizures develop different signs over the years, and some of the medications have severe side effects, so make sure you pay attention to your child's change in behavior.
For me, a sign of a possible seizure to come can be agitation, anger, frustration, short temper, and in the hours before I'm extremely tired.  From what I've heard, during my complex partial seizures I yell out like I'm in pain and sometimes drop to the floor. I also constantly move my mouth like I'm tasting something and my vocabulary is very limited.  I'd like to add that seizures can be different depending on what part of the brain is affected.  My seizures were from a birth defect in my left temporal lobe, but after my lobectomy I'm not so sure what region of my brain is affected.  
Although neurologists are educated about seizures, I strongly suggest you find an epileptologist in your area. They work exclusively with seizures and some have numerous years of experience in their field. For 27 years I went to a neurologist and finally found an epileptologist at the VA who has been able to help me tremendously.  I would also suggest that you join the epilepsy foundation website because they have countless references, support groups, and message boards which you can post your concerns about his seizures and the medication he's been prescribed.
As a kid with seizures I would advise that you try to explain that even though he has seizures he can do a lot of things other kids do.  From personal experience and my research, depression hits a great amount of epileptics and supporting him is the best you can do.