Epilepsy Community

zonegran and irregular heartbeat

Has anyone had problems with their heart doing anything weird since prescribed Zonegran?  My heart feels like it's has been doing something it should not do and tonight it felt like it stopped longer than it should have.  It really scared me.  I'm pretty sure I had a partial seizure while talking to my husband and brother tonight.  They said I froze, got stiff and my color changed.  I could tell something happened.  I then went and sat in my recliner because I didn't feel good.  While sitting, I felt like I was going to have another seizure and my heart felt like it was skipping, and then I started to shake, like I was cold.  I should mention I have Chiari Malformation 1.  I take Diamox, this helps with the pressure in my head (somewhat).

Hello!
Fast pounding heart beats can occur as a side effect of Zonegran.This drug may cause metabolic acidosis. People with predisposing conditions are at greater risk of developing metabolic acidosis .It is recommended to get serum bicarbonate levels checked before starting treatment and at periodic intervals. Irregular heartbeats or palpitations can be a possible manifestation of metabolic acidosis .Do consult your neurologist and discuss these possibilities. Do keep us posted.
Best wishes!