Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community

Thyroid Info

I recently tried taking iodine because I've read that close to 100% of fibro & CFS patients have a low thyroid, but the standard blood tests often miss it. Anyway, I cannot believe the difference !! My hair and skin are softer, I have a little bit more energy and less weakness.

I noticed First magazine has an article in this month's issue on iodine deficiency. Of course an underactive thyroid can be due to insufficient amounts of iodine in the body. I highly recommend it for all members here. Of course this would exclude those who have hyperthyroidism.

** imporant --- if you are considering taking iodine supplements, please talk to your physician first **
"The thyroid gland requires iodine to function properly. A chronic lack of iodine means that less thyroid hormone can be produced and this causes the thyroid to enlarge. Since salt manufacturers now add iodine to salt, this form of hypothyroidism is extremely rare in North America. However, it is still the major cause of hypothyroidism in underdeveloped countries, where iodine is often lacking in the diet."

Thanks, Nicki. I agree with everything, except the comment that iodine deficiency is "extremely rare" in North America. The First magazine article that says "more than 9 in 10 women currently suffer from an iodine deficiency" is a recent issue (September 22, 2008... pg. 31)

Just a guess.. but I'm thinking that many Americans are now cutting down on salt. However, in my case, I was actually adding iodized salt to my drinking water for low blood pressure. I still ended up being iodine deficient somehow.
I find that I do better when not ingesting iodine.
DX both Grave's Disease and Hashimoto's

I'm sure iodine wouldn't be recommended for people who have Graves disease.
I also used iodized products because of low blood pressure, but almost all commercial products used iodized salts so it shouldn't really be an issue in America.

Also, is that really possible to have Grave's & Hashimoto's????  Wouldn't they just cancel each other out?  
Some excerpts from "Beating Lyme Disease" by David A. Jernigan, Ph.D. :

"According to a study by the CDC the number of Americans with low iodine has quadrupled in the last 25 years". * (source below)

"Dr. Bernard Jenson, D.C., Ph.D., found that the iodized table salt, which is superheated so that it can pour more easily, is a poor form of iodine for the body."

* Iodine Nutrition in the United States. Trends and Public Health Implications: Iodine Excretion Data from National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys I and III --- The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
How do you take the iodine and how much? Are there any other supplements that are helpful to the thyroid? I had mine tested because I have virtually every symptom listed for hypthyroidism, but of course, it came back in the normal range. Low normal, but still normal to my doctor. I am wondering what I can do to help myself? Thanks for any info!

Perfect timing for your question ! We recently started talking about iodine in MedHelp's complementary medicine forum. Here's the link to the discussion.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/756347

To answer your question... I used the sodium iodine for my stain test. After that, I purchased the liquid potassium iodide (yes iodide... not iodine). You can find it online and it is very inexpensive. You can also take it sublingually and while using the skin stain test. (according to Jernigan --- pg. 463 in Beating Lyme Disease)

thank you for sending me the link. I checked it out and will try the stain test and go from there. you are such a wealth of information. I really want to thank you for all your help!

You are very welcome !  ; ^ )