Erectile Dysfunction Community

Having Vision Problems After Taking Viagra

Hi there, I'm an otherwise healthy 43-year old male. I've been taking Viagra for the last several years, about weekly (I do so because I have problems using condoms without it). After I take it, I experience vision problems for about a week after. Namely, I have starry vision and problems seeing in the dark (particularly walking from a lighted room into a dark room.) I've had several eye exams and the doctor says there's nothing wrong with my eyes and it's fine to keep taking Viagra, but I'm a bit worried. Anyone else have this experience or might know what's going on? I'd rather not lose my eyesight just to keep my erection!
Hello and welcome to MedHelp.  Viagra affecting vision was a news headline years ago but has largely been found to be baseless.  https://www.nhs.uk/news/medication/viagra-may-cause-visual-disturbance-in-some-men/.  This article explains it. The study that made headlines was regarding mice and was exaggerated by the initial news source. The main take away is that it's important to use dosing guidelines and not go over the recommended dose and be under a doctor's prescription when taking Viagra.  

I don't discount that you are experiencing this phenomenon and I am sure it is concerning. You may want to be checked for retinitis pigmentosa which is a hereditary condition linked to visual disturbances.

Here is a more recent article with another study of Viagra and eye sight.  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323234.php.  Again, staying within dosing guidelines and usage guidelines is important.  

Please continue to work with your doctor regarding this.  And keep a log of exactly what happens to show them.  If this is too concerning, discontinuation of use may seem appropriate.  We wish you the best.
Have never heard anything like this. It stimulates blood flow. Maybe you already had some eyes condition which it worsened.