Exercise & Fitness Community

Can I do sit-ups with an abdominal hernia?

I am a 25 year old mother of 3. I am in decent shape, meaning I am not over weigh. I have an abdominal hernia that is about 2 inches that causes occasional pain. I am pretty active, usually in the warm months and since being diagnosed as having a hernia I do not want to do anything to make it any bigger. After exercising my hernia doesn't feel any different. I haven't found out what makes it poke out and become painful but exercising doesn't seem to. I've also heard that if it doesn't hurt than it probably isn't a problem. Will sit-ups help or hurt my hernia?
my brother had a hernia when took his physical a few years back the doctor told him to do situps and when he came back it was gone i dont know how bad his was but thats wut the doc told him
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Mild regular exercises to tone up the abdominal muscles can infact help you to strengthen the abdominal muscles and help reduce or cure the hernia. Yes, situps can be done. There are other exercises too like lifting both legs while lying flat on hard floor that can help too. However without examining the hernia, its position, degree and extent I cannot comment for sure. Please consult a physiotherapist before starting the exercises. Your age is on your side and guided exercise program should help you.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I have just found ou I have hernia and been in a lot of pain in abdimon and lower part of my back the hernia is above my belly button what do u. Surgest.
What if you have had hernia surgery already? Can you do situps then? I had hernia surgery Jan 23 2009 and now I have mesh around my whole abdomen.
No,sit ups are not advised for you. As any exercise which will increase the abdomial pressure should be avoided for safety of hernia not to reoccur. Take care!
I was doing sit up about two month after receiving a hernia mesh. I now feel a see a small out line of something near the area where the mesh was placed. It is not giving me any problem. Could this cause a problem send email  to ***@****
Can you help.  I've just been told I have a hernia.  Just above my belly button.  I had surgery 11months ago for a gut problem and was cut from just above the belly button down to bikini line.  Before surgery I was swollen from whatever had caused the illness - not sure if was narrowing of gut join due to previous surgery (I had had previous surgery since I have had Crohns disease twice before - both times cut across the bikini line - wasn't a problem exercising).  The problem is I'm still swollen more than I would like to be (I'm 45yr old female).  Having been told I have the hernia I'm reserved about jumping into previous fitness regime.  There were also lots of problems with wound  healing.  Can you help.  I suppose I'm in reasonable shape for my age other than these awful problems which have arisen.  I do a little yoga and try pilates type tightening exercises which isn't enough.  Hopefully you can help.  I intend to speak to the surgeon again.  Hopefully no more awful illnesses.  Thanks
Hello!  

I would suggest walking for you along with Yoga and some exercises in the sitting and sleeping position. You can go for 2-5 km walks regularly without exerting yourself.

Get yourself examined by the surgeon to rule out any infection and take all the possible suggestions for the hernia repair from your surgeon.

Take care!
I had a lap chole, and 2 and half to 3 weeks later got pregnant with twins.  5 years later while lying down and trying to do a situp there is this bulge that comes out above my belly button, do you think it is a hernia, and can I continue to do any situps?

Sincerely,
Tracy
Hello!

The probability of hernia is more as you had a surgical intervention and had an incision in the past.
I would suggest you to check by looking at a mirror and coughing and if a bulge comes out and if it can be reduced by pushing it inside then there is a gap in your abdominal musculature and you have to get it corrected surgically.

Hernia is the bulge which comes out through any weakness in your abdominal wall.

Take care!
Should leg lifts be done with an abd brace to hold the area as flat as possible? I have a heavy duty back brace with perfect velcro to hold in the fat and hernia, but since it's a back brace the front is to small to cover the entire hernia area, I put a small board there and seems to work fine. I browsed hernia belts which are wider in the front, but customer complaints about them rolling up while on makes me wary of buying one.
Should I use anything that works to confine, support or otherwise hold in the hernia while doing leg lifts in order to get muscles strong enough to hold in on it's own? seems to me doing excercises while the hernia is poking out won't push it back in while the muscles are strengthening? but I'm not a doc. :)
Hello!

With hernia I would not suggest any heavy duty exercise and only after hernia repair and when you complete a year you should put any pressure to the abdominal area. You can do other types of exercises and cardio activities which do not put pressure on your abdomen.

I would want you to discuss further with a surgeon after an examination about your hernia because I have to understand if it is abdominal hiatus hernia? Inguinal hernia? Femoral hernia? Direct or indirect hernia? Reducible or irreducible hernia? and what is the diagnosis and the reasons for you hernia.

Take care!
Hi there, I was told I had an umbilical hernia two years ago, although it doesn't hurt at all but when I excercise my abs It protroudes massivley!!! However I really want to keep my stomach in shape without it's appearance getting any worse, I read u said excersise wud make it go away is that in every case or just some cases as I find it hard to believe as mine actually is
worse after ab crunches, sit ups etc! Can u advise me thanks???