Headaches when working out. What could be wrong

Whenever im pushing myself during working out, whether its a set of push ups or lifting weights at the end of the set when im really pushing like when my face will get red, i will get a pretty bad headache pretty much forcing me to discontinue the workout.  Just has started happening the last week, but it always seems to happen. Do I have a brain tumor or something, whats wrong? =(  

Zach
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hey guys,

this happened to me too. this is a serious comment, and I'm looking for answers: this started happening first, not with lifting, but with masturbating. after two painful masturbating sessions, I googled it and it said it might be an orgasmic headache. I've been working out for a year and a half, and I worked out after I had these painful experiences, and the same pain occurred when I bench pressed. so my question is, for those who masturbate, is there pain there too? for me they must be related, and I'm wondering if it's the same for you.
Helpful - 0
Yes it happens to me in both lifting and close to climax in sex (maturbation).  I started taking this muscle gainer (hormone pill) about one month ago and I really think that has been the cause for me.  The supplement is called S-Drol.  I have been working out hard since I was in middle school, and I am now 30.  This happened to me before and if I take some time off, do more cardio, and quit the supplement, it usually goes away.  I also drink a lot on weekends and probably need to cool off on that aspect as well.  I suggest taking some time off on heavy lifting.  My wife and I are going to do a lot more yoga over the next few days and see if that helps get rid of the pain.  I might start back on the weights later next week, and I'm going to the doctor Monday.
Helpful - 0
Stress causes head ache, even while masturbating when you do it for the sake of doing, it is habit forming, you do it aggresively you will have this head ache.
Sex is a thing which should be relaxing and everything is in the brain. So all the forms of sex, like oral, masturbating you should be at ease and relaxed.

Masturbating is habit forming and should be discouraged and there is a controversy between many Psyciatrists on this topic. Going for a regular partner/wife is always good .
Lead a stress free life and Yoga is a good idea.

Take care!
Helpful - 0
Hey there folks, regarding the headaches in the back of the neck near the head, throbbing, very painful etc. It first happened to me on a saturday workout. I was doing incline dumbell curls. it happened again recently while doing lats on a machine at the gym. both times it was on a day off where I had slept in late, ate breakfast and had coffee, waited for a while (couple hours) and then started the workout. So I was relaxed and not tense. I was used to doing workouts after work in the evening and I usually drink coffee only early in the morning.
My doctor says that I have strained tendon(s) and related it to a tension migraine which occurs to many people on a saturday morning because the tension and stress of the week are released and one is relaxed on their day off. I think he used the term "let down" phase (don't quote me on that)
So he told me to use a hot water bottle on my neck 4 times a day, 15 minutes at a time for about ten days. I don't remember how long I waited before working out again the first time it happened. I will start up easy though when I do get back to it.
My suggestion: let it heal, it will heal. my trainer says it has happened to him in the past too. there is nothing wrong with doing intense sets with great effort on the last few reps, that's how you grow. Just watch your form and be careful. I am no expert but I am learning.

God bless you all.
Helpful - 0
I have been doing P90X for 6 months now & currently I am in the 6th week of the second 2nd round of P90x. The last week or so I have been battling these headaches which occur on the right side of my neck/head. Sometimes I can catch it before it explodes into a full blown headache and I let it dissipate for about 5 or 10 min before I start again. Other times it comes on so fast I have to stop completely and not work out for a couple of days because it tends to linger even overnite. Last night I went out to rollerblade and about  5 min. into blading It came on again. I let it subside and felt fine the rest of the nite. This morning I do feel a lingering dull headache in the usual spot. I made an appt. with a neurologist next week.
Helpful - 0
You have to evaluate your case properly as your headaches do not occur with day to day activities.
Whenever you work out or do some form of exercise you tend to have these headaches.
This can be stress induced migraine and you have to try different forms of exercises which would be relaxing to you. Try discussing these things with your neurologist. You have to fnd out the triggering agent.
You should wear proper foot wear, follow proper ergonomics, positions etc. Any good trainer would help you on this.
Take care
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Exercise & Fitness Community