Exercise & Fitness Community

Increasing Muscle

I am currently trying to lose weight but I also want increase my overall strength and muscle especially in my arms and stomach. What kind of exercises should I look into doing and I am also willing to invest into protien shakes, etc. What would you recommend?  Thanks
Hi there .. In order to loose weight you need to eat less calories than you require and do some cardiovascular training like HIIT .. lifting weights also burns calories and burns fat + keeps you metabolism high ... for strength nothing beats workout .. and abs too .. you need to train them for strength .. and for protein shakes .. go for optimum nutrition 100% whey protein ..  thats the best .. consume it after a workout
The Peak 8 routine it will quickly raise your heart rate 8 times for very short bursts, with a cooling down period in between. Ideally you’ll be sprinting or cycling full throttle for 30 seconds with a 90 second cool down in between each outburst. 

This is the fastest way to lose fat and build muscle in the body. Peak 8 actually stimulates the growth hormone in the body. I encourage you to visit Dr Mercola’s site to learn more about Peak 8 fitness because I personally feel that it is one of the best ways to exercise, especially considering the speed at which you can lose fat and build muscle. 

I highly recommend you read this article and watch the videos on the page. It will give you all the information you need to know about Peak 8 – Flood Your Body With This “Youth Hormone” In Just 20 Minutes 

What you eat after Peak 8 training does matter 

It’s recommended that you do not eat sugar or carbohydrate for 2 hours after the Peak 8 exercise because these foods can impact the release of the growth hormone in the body. The links are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy7j9FRiJpg&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5hRYXmxSE&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLKML9EL4As&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

Figure your heart rate by this formula 
The Karvonen Formula is a mathematical formula that helps you determine your target heart rate zone. The formula involves using your maximum heart rate (MHR) minus your age to come up with a target heart rate range (which is a percentage of your MHR). Staying within this range will help you work most effectively during your cardio workouts. 

an example of the Karvonen formula for a 23 year old person with a resting heart rate of 65 beats per minute (*to get your resting heart rate, take your pulse for one full minute when you first wake up in the morning or after you've resting for a while). This formula also includes an updated calculation of maximum heart rate (the previous formula was 220 - age, which has now been shown to be inaccurate): 

206.9 - (0.67 x 23 (age)) = 191 
191 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 126 
126 * 65% (low end of heart rate zone) OR 85% (high end) = 82 OR 107 
82 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 147 
107 + 65 (rhr) = 172 
The target heart rate zone for this person would be 147 to 172 

First thing in the morning before you get out of bed have a clock with a second hand and check your resting heart rate then figure your rate by the 
Karvonen Formula above.

You burn 30 percent more fat from doing cardio after a weights session as opposed to cardio on its own.

As for protein buy Whey protein concentrate not isolate!
Protein isolates are proteins stripped away from their nutritional cofactors. There are three problems with that
1 All isolates are exposed to acid processing.
2 Your body cannot assimilate proteins in isolated form.
3 Due to over-processing, isolates are deficient in key amino acids and nutritional cofactors.
Sweetened naturally, NOT artificially, and low carb
Most whey products are artificially sweetened making them useless if you have sugar sensitivities, or just don't want to put artificial sweeteners or flavors into your body.
Your whey should be low glycemic, low carb and should not contain any artificial sweeteners, sugar alcohol, glycerin, fructose, sugar or gluten.
Maximum biological value, NOT compromised or damaged
Most whey proteins provide some benefit. But, due to the ingredients, the source of the whey, the concentration of beneficial nutrients, or the type of processing, many whey products simply don't deliver what they promise.
You want whey that's guaranteed to retain its maximum biological value  one with all the key amino acids, cofactors and beneficial micronutrients present and intact rather than compromised or damaged, and not missing any amino acids or essential nutrients.
Easy to Digest, NOT Causing Digestive Stress
Many whey products contain long-chain fatty acids which are hard to digest and require bile acids to absorb.
You want a whey protein powder with medium chain triglycerides (MCT). These are easily absorbed, digested quickly, and utilized as energy without causing digestive stress.
Ideally, you want a product in which the MCT come from the best source of all  coconut oil.
Free from Toxic Heavy Metals or at Such Low Levels NOT to be a Health Risk Many protein powders both whey and non-whey could contain dangerous levels of heavy metals like mercury, lead, cadmium, and arsenic. A recent Consumer Reports' evaluation showed some leading brands of protein powders exceeded United States Pharmacopoeia's (USP) recommended safety limits for certain heavy metals.
You want to avoid these products at all costs because any high concentration of heavy metals taken over time could lead to serious health consequences. I recommend NutraBio brand. Google it.
A Better Back
Scapular retraction,
it's a muscle action that strengthens the middle part of your trapezius, one of your back's biggest muscles.
Pull your shoulder blades (scapulae) together in back (retracting them). The exercise, any variety of row seated using a cable machine; bent-over with a barbell, dumbbells, or T-bar or standing, pulling a cable down to your face
pause, return to the starting position, and repeat. Do one set of 10 to
12 repetitions. Add one set each workout, to a maximum of three sets. This will build strength and muscle mass in your scapular retractors.

Your arms, They work hardest in conjunction with bigger, stronger
upper-body muscles. If you want big arms, do chin ups and dips!
If you can't do a set of dips, start with bench dips.
Sit on the edge of a bench or chair, palms alongside your hips, fingers pointed toward your legs, feet flat on the floor. Straighten your arms so your butt comes off the bench, then bend your arms as you slowly lower yourself (in front of the chair) until your upper arms are parallel to the floor. Pause, then push back up. When you can do more than 10, progress to parallel-bar dips.
Most men can't do chinups. The kneeling lat pulldown is an exercise that helps you get there. Attach a straight bar to a high cable pulley, grab it with a shoulder width, underhand grip, kneel on the floor, and then pull the bar down past your chin. Gradually increase the weight and decrease the
repetitions until the weight's so heavy it pulls you off the floor. Now you're ready for the chinup bar.
The chest exercises that use the most muscles build the most muscle. That's why bench presses are better than flies. Adding 100 pounds to your bench will put on way more mass than anything else.
Everyone knows how to do the bench press Lie on bench, grip bar, lower bar to chest,and so forth. But few pay any more attention to their foot position during bench presses. Try this Imagine that you're doing the exercise standing up. Set your feet in a wide, athletic stance.
And push out the repetitions as if you were throwing the bar to someone standing in front of you, rather than lifting it off your chest. The extra force in your execution will result in extra inches on your body.
Now the legs, You use 200 muscles to walk you'll hit more when you squat with a barbell across your back. Warm up thoroughly. Select a weight you think you can squat for 10 repetitions. Now squat as many times as you can with that weight. When you can't do any more, stand and catch your breath, then do single repetitions until you get to 20.
The key The weight stays on your shoulders until you've finished all 20 repetitions.