Exercise & Fitness Community

Intense Exercise no Weight Loss

Okay so I have always been active, ever since I can remember back to grade school.  I am now almost 40 and have not been super active the past couple of years.  In 2009 I trained for and rode in the Leadville, CO 100 mile bike race and that was a highlight of my life.  This year a group of friends have decided to run/hike the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim which equates to about 50 miles in less then two days.  We are contemplating going non stop which would be about 20 hours.  The trip is scheduled for October so at the beginning of May I began my rigorous training.  Here is the problem!  Most of my adult life I have been in the 175-190 lb range which is perfect for my height.  I am 6'3" tall and currently weigh 205 lbs. which is heavier than I have ever been and I don't like it.  When I trained for Leadville I got down to about 185 which I really liked.  Right now I am super frustrated because for the last month I have been working out hard and so far I have not noticed any result.  I run 6-8 miles of steep hills/mountains 3x a week and cross train 1-2 times a week biking or playing soccer.  I now eat less that I was before, I have cut way back almost eliminated drinking sugar soda and I have not lost a single pound.

Now I understand that I may be gaining muscle but seriously I have not worked out this hard since High School and I just don't know what to do.  I don't know if I should get my V02 tested or my LT tested through blood work to see how my body burns fuel.  I don't feel as though I have lost any inches anywhere and after 5 weeks of training I should be losing weight right?  I really want to get back down to 180-185 lbs so I can complete this endurance race and I just don't know at this pace with 4 months from today left if that is going to be a reality.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Brandon
You said no weight loss has your measurements gotten any smaller? you didn't mention   what you consume.
  Diet isn't about eating less, it's about eating more—more nutrition-dense food, to crowd out the empty calories and keep you full all day. That's important, because restricting food will kill your metabolism. It makes your body think, "I'm starving here!" And your body responds by slowing your metabolic rate in order to hold on to existing energy stores. What's worse, if the food shortage (meaning your crash diet) continues, you'll begin burning muscle tissue, which just gives your enemy, visceral fat, a greater advantage. Your metabolism drops even more, and fat goes on to claim even more territory.
A study in Finland looked at sets of identical twins and discovered that of each set of siblings, the twin who slept less and was under more stress had more visceral fat.
our body needs protein to maintain lean muscle. In a 2006 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, "The Underappreciated Role of Muscle in Health and Disease," researchers argued that the present recommended daily allowance of protein, 0.36 grams per pound of body weight, was established using obsolete data and is woefully inadequate for an individual doing resistance training. Researchers now recommend an amount between 0.8 and 1 gram per pound of body weight. Add a serving, like 3 ounces of lean meat, 2 tablespoons of nuts, or 8 ounces of low-fat yogurt, to every meal and snack. Plus, research showed that protein can up post-meal calorie burn by as much as 35 percent.
Canadian researchers reported that dieters with the most organochlorines (pollutants from pesticides, which are stored in fat cells) experienced a greater than normal dip in metabolism as they lost weight, perhaps because the toxins interfere with the energy-burning process. In other words, pesticides make it harder to lose pounds. Other research hints that pesticides can trigger weight gain. Of course, it's not always easy to find—or to afford—a whole bunch of organic produce. So you need to know when organic counts, and when it's not that important. Organic onions, avocados, grapefruit? Not necessary. But choose organic when buying celery, peaches, strawberries, apples, blueberries, nectarines, bell peppers, spinach, kale or collard greens, cherries, potatoes, and imported grapes; they tend to have the highest levels of pesticides. A simple rule of thumb: If you can eat the skin, go organic.
Whether you sit or stand at work may play as big a role in your health and your waistline as your fitness routine. In one study researchers discovered that inactivity (4 hours or more) causes a near shutdown in an enzyme that controls fat and cholesterol metabolism. To keep this enzyme active and increase your fat burning, break up long periods of downtime by standing up—for example, while talking on the phone.
German researchers found that drinking 6 cups of cold water a day (that's 48 ounces) can raise resting metabolism by about 50 calories daily—enough to shed 5 pounds in a year. The increase may come from the work it takes to heat the water to body temperature. Though the extra calories you burn drinking a single glass don't amount to much, making it a habit can add up to pounds lost with essentially zero additional effort.
It turns out that capsaicin, the compound that gives chili peppers their mouth-searing quality, can also fire up your metabolism. Eating about 1 tablespoon of chopped red or green chilies boosts your body's production of heat and the activity of your sympathetic nervous system (responsible for our fight-or-flight response), according to a study published in the Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology. The result: a temporary metabolism spike of about 23 percent. Stock up on chilies to add to meals, and keep a jar of red pepper flakes on hand for topping pizzas, pastas, and stir-fries.
Eating breakfast jump-starts metabolism and keeps energy high all day. It's no accident that those who skip this meal are 4 1/2 times as likely to be obese. And the heartier your first meal is, the better. In one study published by the American Journal of Epidemiology, volunteers who got 22 to 55 percent of their total calories at breakfast gained only 1.7 pounds on average over 4 years. Those who ate zero to 11 percent of their calories in the morning gained nearly 3 pounds.
Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant, so your daily java jolt can rev your metabolism 5 to 8 percent—about 98 to 174 calories a day. A cup of brewed tea can raise your metabolism by 12 percent, according to one Japanese study. Researchers believe the antioxidant catechins in tea provide the boost.
Fiber can rev your fat burn by as much as 30 percent. Studies find that those who eat the most fiber gain the least weight over time. Aim for about 25 g a day—the amount in about three servings each of fruits and vegetables.
Iron is essential for carrying the oxygen your muscles need to burn fat. Unless you restock your store, you run the risk of low energy and a sagging metabolism. Shellfish, lean meats, beans, fortified cereals, and spinach are excellent sources. (But it's not always a good idea to take a supplement. Too much iron has been linked to a greater risk of heart disease in men. Get this essential mineral in natural doses from real foods.)
Vitamin D is essential for preserving metabolism-revving muscle tissue. Unfortunately, researchers estimate that a measly 20 percent of Americans take in enough through their diet. Get 90 percent of your recommended daily value (400 IU) in a 3.5-ounce serving of salmon. Other good sources: tuna, fortified milk and cereals, and eggs.
There's some evidence that calcium deficiency may slow metabolism. Research shows that consuming calcium in dairy foods such as fat-free milk and low-fat yogurt may also reduce fat absorption from other foods.
The amino acid arginine, abundant in watermelon, might promote weight loss, according to a new study in the Journal of Nutrition. Researchers supplemented the diets of obese mice with arginine over 3 months and found that it decreased body-fat gains by a whopping 64 percent. Adding this amino acid to the diet enhanced the oxidation of fat and glucose and increased lean muscle, which burns more calories than fat does. Snack on watermelon and other arginine sources, such as seafood, nuts, and seeds, year-round.
All of your body's chemical reactions, including your metabolism, depend on water. If you are dehydrated, you may be burning up to 2 percent fewer calories, according to researchers at the University of Utah who monitored the metabolic rates of 10 adults as they drank varying amounts of water per day. In the study, those who drank either eight or twelve 8-ounce glasses of water a day had higher metabolic rates than those who had four.

Are you sure that your actually eating enough? and that your body hasn't gone into starvation mode?  I'm sure you know what I mean, but seriously though with the amount of training that your doing you should be losing the weight, so the first thing that came to my mind was not enough food.

Have you considered going to see your PCP or a dietitian?  They would be able to give you the base line figure of how many calories you should be consuming.

Hope this helps.
Hi guys!

I agree with gymdandee that diet control is not about eating less and is about ‘healthy eating’. The mantra to a healthy body weight is a healthy lifestyle. If you are aiming at losing weight, it is important to calculate your current BMI and the target BMI. The target BMI should be in a healthy range. Aside indulging in moderate amounts of physical exercise it is also essential to maintain a healthy diet plan. When one cuts down on calories, the body sends a signal to the brain which in turn turns on the ‘stress hormones’ and the body switches into the ‘starvation mode’ and paradoxically one may notice an increased weight. If one has not been working out regularly, the body may take a few weeks to respond. However this phase should be balanced by healthy eating. One would need adequate amount of calories to support the basic metabolic functions and if you work out vigorously, your required calorie intake rises. A healthy diet should consist of adequate amounts of carbohydrates, proteins, fat and plenty of fruits and vegetables to supply vitamins and minerals. If one aims at losing weight, one may increase the protein intake slightly (poultry, eggs, meat, pulses etc). Also, with age there is a slight reduction in the BMR and it may seem difficult to lose weight initially. It is advised to rotate between various workout schedules. If working at the gym, you may like to skip two days a week and go for options like aerobics, swimming etc. The workout regime needs to be balanced, along with a healthy diet as recommended for the height and the physical work. Make sure to keep your body adequately hydrated. Also a healthy weight loss should be aimed gradually. With steady and ‘healthy’ efforts you should be on the tract of losing weight soon.
Hope this helps.

Take care!