Exercise & Fitness Community

Intense stomach pain after exercise

I'm a teenager, just sixteen and I eat pretty well, but also a good amount of sweets. For a few years I have been having intense pain in my stomach/abdominal area after I play soccer and/or run untill I'm very tired. I started going to my doctor first when I was thirteen about this and she has not the slightest idea what is going on. I read the tag about stomach pains after tennis and my syptoms sound very similar. I am in good shape and exercise regulairly, and it only happens on random days spread by weeks of no problems, and it only happens when I push myself to my limits. I have asthma, but I can outrun any person in my school so I do not think that is a problem. When it happens I usually can't sit still and it feels as if someone is driving a knife into my stomach. It only last for about an hour, and I find drinking water and eating helps ease the pain. If anyone has any ideas please get back to me because it has become more frequent recently and my parents worry it might be accociated with diabetes because my grandfather had it (type 2). thanks.
I feel what symptoms you are describing correlates well with symptoms of Gastric Ulcer.
You should be seeking advice from Pediatric Gastroenterologist.
Antacids and eating bland diet with minimal exercise will help.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
hiya,
I have the exact problem, it normally occurs after footy training when i really push my self, the pain is terrible and aften last for about three to four hours after i often get diarhoea from this too. This all started wen i was about 16yrs old and now im 26 so it shows its not anything major. me to the doctor hast got an idea and prescribed some bowl tablets that didnt work, i now have given up football coz of this which is gutting, but its better than being in pain,

The stomach pain could be like you yourself mentioned due to over exertion, another reason could be not eating regularly. Also remember to keep a gap of at least 30-45 min between food and exercise. Make sure you are well hydrated and drink water intermittently even when you are playing or exercising.

I have the exact same problem, i excercise regularly so am quite a fit healthy person, but sometimes when i get a little tired, i get such a strong burning pain in my abdomen, which lasts around 15 mins, i also get really dizzy with it and breathless and sometimes when its really bad i get a blackout. My doctor doesnt have a clue, i just thought it might be down to having iron deficiency aneamia, where theres a lack of oxygen in my blood after excercise which causes acid to build up in my legs, abdomen, and taking prescription iron tablets over a few months does help a little. Its probably best to get a blood test done, to check.
My son conplains of this same condition after he races.  He runs cross country.  Has anyone found something that can provide some relief?

I would love to know ***@****
I am a Triathlete and experience the same problems after each race though it does vary in episode strength. I have been to a Gastro and he said their was a study done on runners after the Boston Marathon a couple of years ago, unfortunatly they confirmed that many people experience the same symptoms after great exertion but their is still not a good answer on how to prevent it. I find that lowering my carb intake during a race and eating well throughout the day after the race helps. I would hope that somebody in the Gastro world would spend some time figuring out a better solution but for now I was told by my Doc "Deal with it or take up golf". Not such a valuable solution for those of us who love fitness!
I can relate to exactly the same symptoms and again it only occurs after very intense exercise. Having done some research one theory i have concluded is that all of my problems are linked to intense dehydration. It all sounds like intensive exercise which is when the body is losing most water. Even drinking constantly during intense exercise you cannot keep up with the rate your body loses water, so it seems to make sense. Will test this theory and see how it goes.
also have this problem.I play college basketball and after each game I have the pains.Im also a nursing student so Ive learned about our bodies.I believe there are 2 possible things going on.1- dehydration,if I drink a lot of water after my games it doesn't last long and is not as intense.2nd the pains are from our bodies detoxing the junk out of our systems.Exercise gets our insides moving as well and shakes up all the **** built up.Suggestions: eat some yogurt to get the good bacteria back in your stomach,this will help get your stomach back to a healthy state ,drink some ginger ale or sprite,it neutralizes the stomach acids and will help you burp stuff out.And last stay well hydrated.Hope this helps  
"Deal with it or take up golf" or "minimal exercise will help" are not acceptable answers for most athletes.  If your doctor gives you an answer such as this, I suggest finding a doctor who specializes in sports medicine, or perhaps is an athlete themselves.  Many doctors have good intentions but do not have specific training in regards to athletic related conditions.  They may not understand, for example, that in most cases to tell a runner to stop running is incredibly naive.

As a person who gets these stomach pains intermittently, I have personally found that hydration seems to be a factor, as well nutrition.  Sugar intake seems to correlate to stomach pain in my particular case.  I cut out most refined sugars during college while I was running cross-country and it seemed to help immensely.
My problem seems quite similar to yours.  For the past few months, if I go out first thing in the morning with an empty stomach and run 5.5 miles up and down a fairly steep slope, then swim for half an hour, my stomach will churn for hours afterward.  If I drink a quart of water beforehand and 20 ounces of water toward the end of the run, I am usually OK.

What bothers me is that I have been doing my exercise routine for more than 5 years without this ever happening before.  A year ago ultrasound detected a 1/2-inch stone in my right kidney.  I am going to have a procedure done to remove the stone (lithotripsy) and see if things get back to normal...
I want to keep documenting this a little bit in case some other poor slob like me searches the web trying to figure what has gone wrong with his/her body...

Well, for me, these symptoms seem to have been caused by a kidney stone.

After a lithotripsy procedure I had a week ago, which uses sound waves to break a kidney stone into small fragments, that specific kind of pain went away for me.  Now I have a bit of a sore kidney from the procedure, and still some stomach upset related to that, but nothing like the 4 or 5 hours I used to spend after a workout, feeling like I had been kicked in the nuts or something...
Lithotripsy is quite safe and you can go ahead in removing your Kidney stone.
If a kidney stone lodges on the way and gets blocked the pain is intense. This pain goes from all the way from "loin to groin" and very intense.

Keep drinking lots of water while you exercise and a balanced diet is important. Proteins should be the main stay while working out coupled with carbohydrates and minimal fat intake.
Take care