Exercise & Fitness Community

Light Tingling / Popping Sensation in Legs After Jogging

I started a walking / jogging program about 5 weeks ago.  I've been steadily progressing, walking less and jogging more, without any real problems.  The last two times I've worked out I experienced a strange sensation in the back of my legs after exercise.  It felt like tiny bubbles were popping all up and down the backs of my legs- especially in my thighs.  It does not hurt in the least.  In fact, it's actually a pleasant feeling.  I stretch well before and after exercising.  It is during the stretching that I notice the feeling, but I think it starts when I'm running.  I'm just too busy to notice it then.  Should I be concerned about this?
what do u exactly mean by tiny bubbles ?? i cant seem to grasp ur question.  please state it clearly..
It feels like there are small bubbles on the back of my legs which are bursting- inside the muscle, just under my skin. They feel like they're all over- maybe an inch or two apart at most.  I can't think of a better way to describe it.  This is exactly what it feels like.
i get that tingling sensation too in my legs after jogging,  i just assumed it was due to the increase in blood flow or something like that.  i also get "restless legs" occasionally which stretching seems to help a lot.  I do have a few varicose  and spider veins in my legs so maybe that makes these symptoms worse??
No no no. I know exactly what you are talking about. Not tingling. Popping. I have been looking for what it is for a very long time and medical boards only come up with things that have to do with cracking or popping bones or tingling or things that hurt. This never hurts. It doesn't do it if I run very quickly, only when I walk briskly for at least 15 min. After I stop walking and am completely still, it will start within a minute. It does it all over and around both legs, right above my knees up to my behind and continues for about 3 minutes or so. It is directly under the skin and feels like if I put my hand there while it does it, then I could feel the "pop" underneath the skin! I can't count them but I would estimate that it does around 50-75 "pops" each time before it is through.

I have nothing that I can think of to cause this: I'm 26, healthy (5'6, 145), I do have the most weight on my thighs and butt though. I have pretty low blood pressure and since i've always experienced other weird things from that sometimes (like vision blackouts for a few seconds when standing up quickly) maybe that could be it.
I don't regularly excersize now, though when I did, it happened everytime. Today I walked for the first time in months and it happened again. It's just a weird feeling! I pretend it's the fat popping off of that area and getting flushed out. lol.
I know exactly what you are talking about...it feels like your thighs are bubble wrap and your muscles are popping the bubbles against the inside of your skin....or like tiny air bubbles trying to escape all over your thighs. I experience the same sensation everytime I use the treadmill for 15 min. or more, but I don't know what causes it! If you find out, please let me know.
That is a great description too!
You all are describing this popping feeling perfectly so I don't need to describe it again. But did anyone actually find out what it is from a professional? I would like to know! Thanks!
I have also been having this strange sensation in my legs immediately after exercising.  I have been totally puzzled by this and decided to google which pulled up this forum.  I don't feel so silly now after reading these posts.....but I really wish I knew what this is?  It is all over my thighs front, sides and back and feels odd but not painful at all.  It only lasts about 5 to 10 minutes. I describe it as tiny little explosions going off under the skin.  Weird!
Does anyone have any answers to what this might be???
I have the exact same feeling.  My husband said when you exercise and elevate your heart rate your blood starts pumping into your muscles.  When you stop exercising and feel that popping sensation it's literally the blood in your muscles still pumping.  Nothing to fear, it's completely normal.
My wife has been mentioning this for a few years - tingling or popping and all of the posts make sense.  I'll share this with her.  I think what ambassador's husband says make sense but I don't thinkn all people experience this sessation.  I walk, run and ride and have never had that feeling.  I was wondering if happens to woman more than men - I guess checking the people in this poll wouldn't be very scientific but would be interested to see if it was more one than another - not that it really matters.   Anyhow thanks for clearing this up... B.
I get the same sensation.  I read somewhere that it's cellulite fat cells dissolving.  Is this wishful thinking?  I also carry a lot of weight in my thighs.  And I agree, it's not unpleasant at all.  It does feel like something good is happening, even if it's only blood flowing.
i am 40 and over weight and have noticed a popping sessation on my leg also somtimes on my arm somtimes you can see it popping it doesnt hurt i was scared it was a blood clott or somthing put you have put my mind at rest  any ansewers
I also have this sensation regularly after walking at a decent pace for 20 or more minutes.  However, I did not have this my entire life...just the past 6-8 years.  I thought it might be increased circulation, however when I REALLY used to work out with strenuous aerobics, and my circulation was as max as it could get, I used to get itchy on the upper layer of skin due to increased blood flow and it was nothing like what I feel now.  I am a slim to normal weight, but this seems to be happening where I do have some body fat.  I am curious, but not anxious about this at all.
you all descibing the feeling well put has anybody got a answer yet
so weird! I have this exact same feeling sometimes after I sit down from walking somewhere.  I recently decided to google it because I was kind of worried about it even though it's not painful.  There were only a couple sites where people were posting their experience with the popping sensation.  All the medical sites seem to talk about tingling or a numbing sensation but that's certainly not it at all!  I wonder what this is actually caused by??
It's a your muscles releasing the lactic acid build up your muscles create during a work out.
I have been experiencing this same thing for about the past six months.  I am 55 years old, slender, and walk six miles briskly nearly every day.  I only experience the sensations when I am lying in bed, and they occur between my knees and ankles rather than the thighs.  I agree that it is not painful, but rather annoying.  I have very low blood pressure--no idea if this is related.

Tricia
I have the same thing.  I am 27 and it has been happening for about 3 years. I am slender, but any extra weight I happen to put on is in my thigh and butt area and that's where I get the popping sensations.  I go on 30 minute brisk walks and I get it after that. It doesn't hurt at all, but I really want to know what it is.  It is nice to know that other people experience the same thing!
The internet is amazing - this was the first thing google showed me after i searched for 'feels like bubbles popping in back of legs'

I also only started getting the sensation this year after I walk or run.  I also on started getting cellulite this year and was pretty convinced that this 'feeling' is cellulite forming.  Does anyone who experiences this NOT have cellulite?  I hope to God i'm wrong.
I dont have any cellulite! I am 20, healthy, very athletic and my legs are pure muscle and i too experience the popping/tingling. Your legs/thighs house some of the largest muscles in your body and I honestly believe its just increased blood flow into those muscles that makes the sensation.
I am 28 yrs old, 5'6, 140 lbs...I have had this feeling in my legs for years after I do intense walking, jogging or biking.  I am taking spin classes three days a week and when I asked the instructor he was a little puzzled and said he had never heard of this before!  But he thought more than likely it was lactic acid releasing out of my muscles.  But I am so surprised there are so many other people experiencing this but there is no real answer!!!  I have seen the answer as being lactic acid, increased blood flow or cellulite dissolving.  The first two seem alot more likely but has anyone heard any other answers on here?  Some other answers seemed to point to an injury of some kind but like all of you this is not a painful feeling, just a little strange..but oddly enough I know I've had a good workout when this happens!!  Just wondering what else is out there on this???
I am so glad to hear others with this feeling.  It has happened to me since I was a teenager, whenever I walk for more than about 10 minutes, when i stop, I feel it.  I was thinking maybe veins in my legs aren't as flexible or something and when there is increased bloodflow I can feel the blood pushing through or something, but then when I do really strenuous workouts with my legs and continuous kicks in karate and biking and squats and stuff it doesn't happen, only when i walk... it's still a mystery!
my sensation after a great walk then yoga workout is like my foot and leg is starting to 'fall asleep'.  it just started happening and i've been walking briskly for about 4 months now.