Right buttocks pain esp. when sitting

I'm a 45 year old male in Atlanta who has right buttocks pain and some lower right back pain, especially when sitting.  Have seen an Orthopaedic/back pain management M.D. in Atlanta and he took an MRI of my lower back and said it looked normal...no bulging discs.  He said it might be pirformis or SI joint related.  Have had a pirformis injection, an SI joint radio frequency ablation (where they burn away the nerve endings) and have also gone to 3 months of therapy.  The therapist says my SI joint is now more stable but my pain continues to be there.  The therapist thinks I may have a bulging disc but my MD says the MRI doesn't show that.  This pain came on suddenly about 4 years ago when I was doing a lot of road bicycling, playing tennis, jogging.  I have curtailed these a lot, since any vigorous exercise seems to flame up the pain.  It is especially painful near the center of the right buttocks, almost near the groin, almost right on the bone where I sit.  But sometimes the pain radiates from the lower right back into the right hip area. When I bend over to tie my shoe, the pain also can go from the right butt into the upper hamstring.  I am new to this website, but was just looking for some advice.  I can't seem to get my doctor or therapist to give me the answer to what is causing my pain.  I would like to get back to physical exercise again. Given that my SI joint is now stable, why is the pain still there?  Could it be my hip? Are there any exercises I should be doing?(I am doing some already from my therapist).  Should I see a neurologist/neurosurgeon?
Thanks you!
I am 71 years old; sounds old, but I have been in great physical condition until recently.  I alternate the treadmill and a series of floor stretch exercises every other day.  OK--I did reduce the speed on the treadmill a few months ago from 4.0 to 3.8, but still last one-half hour.  I never had back problems before and wonder if what happened to me 5 months ago is related to the upper right buttocks pain I now have upon arising (stiffly) from bed, getting in and out of a car, bending to pick something up.  What happened then was a torn miniscus during a zumba exercise class.  Yes, I was the oldest in the class, but really enjoying it and keeping up. Anyway, no more zumba for me.  So my pain is on the upper right buttocks, app. 1" below beltline and sometimes feels like the right hip and/or ovary.  It's been tolerable enough, but getting worse lately.  I feel no pain on the treadmill.  I went to an orthopedist with my knee problem and am careful with that...I do stairs, but gingerly.  I'm probably not as careful as I should be.  Before I go back to the doctor, I would like to know your experience and what you think it might be and what I might do about it.  Many thanks.
I have the same problems.  Had the same type of PT and steroid injections, MRI test negative.  Did you find the answer to your pain?  
I have been suffering from pain in my lower right side of my back, to my right buttock and down the back of my leg, either it is a burning stinging pain, or a dull stabbing pain for almost 2 years!! I have had to mri's for the low back, doc says maybe a couple of slightly degenerated disc, but slight..I had 1 steriod injection to the spine, no help, my doc wants me to take 2 more, but the guy that was giving them to me said it will not help, I have given up, I cannot take pain pills and work, i have tried aleve and advil, no help, now sometimes it hurts my right leg to walk, when use to walking and standing up helped. i sit for 8 hours a day at work and it is killing me and I dont know where to turn, been to 2 chiroprators. no help yet, please does anyone know anything?
I am a 55 year old woman in great physical shape. I have almost the exact same experience. MRI, CAT, 2 different x-rays. 1 Chiro. told me I had sacroiliac imbalance. Usually 2-3 adjustments would end it and it would be months or years before I'd go back - then all of a sudden I couldn't get rid of it. Went to pain specialist for the "burn" thing you did but when they did a prelim it didn't end the pain so i didn't get the "burn".  What helped me most was a medical massage or deep tissue massage therapist.  She worked relentlessly on me and after about 6 visits the pain was gone. I had also visited my chiro several times in conjunction.  The massage therapist said my tailbone was bent but x-rays showed that no to be true, however, i had a lot of pain there that she worked on.  However, whenever I sit for long periods of time it comes back. Now when it comes back it's hard to get rid of.  I'm going to a new chiro and two adjustments have really helped.  I try to sit as little as possible and I do SI joint exercises from youtube and pelvic floor therapy exercises on you tube. Hope this helps. This is really a PAIN in the BUTT!!
My right butt pain started in August 2010 at the end of the first week of working 12-hour days sitting at the computer.  I am an active 56-year-old, work out daily (elliptical, stairmaster, weights, yoga, aerobics).  My weight is normal for my ht.  Suddenly on the 4th 12-h day I realized I had severe R butt pain.  Initially it would increase when I would first stand up, and then would alleviate with walking.  I would be pain free in the morning after a night's rest.  I am an RN Case manager and work at a desk 8 hours a day doing telephonic case management.  I am up and down througout the day, take a 1-hour break and go to the gym, but in August we were asked to help with data entry and thus the additional 4 hours a day, which I did for the entire month (ignoring the pain).  On my own I tried therapeutic yoga, accupuncture, heat, jaccuzi and nothing alleviated it.  I also tried Flexeril and Naproxyn for a week.  No change. realized it wasn't going to go away so went to PCM he prescribed Soma, and I've been taking that three times a day along with Ibuprofen 800mg three times a day.  He sent me to PT and I've religiously attended PT for 2 months, practiced their exercises at home.  Followed their instructions to stop stair master and elliptical, and am only doing flat treadmill.  Now the pain is all the time like a hot poker in my butt when I'm sitting.  It wakes me at night, and hurts immediately in the morening.  It is constant.  Hurts worse with certain stretches of the right leg, but basically hurts always.  PCM said next thing was to do lumbar x-ray and to to osteopath.  She said lumbar x-ray looked fine and said she thinks it's a hamstring problem.  She did a brief spinal adjustment.  She said that my spine was way out of line.  That was Monday of this week.  Immediately afterwards I felt completely better.  However, the next morning (Tuesday) back to the exact same level of pain at all times.  My PCM's next recommendation will be a specialist (ortho?) and see if the specialist wants to order an MRI.  I'm betting they won't find the problem, especially after reading all your posts about MRIs that are normal.  I have to stop the ibuprofen now, and maybe the soma too, because I'm having cosmetic surgery in a month.  But extra strength tylenol does nothing.  I requested worksite accommodation.  They evaluated and gave me a cushion.  I wanted a kneeling chair.  Supposedly the ergonomics person has put in a request for a special chair.  The cushion does not help at all.  I'm afraid the special chair won't either, unless it's a kneeling chair, and they don't want to get that kind.  So any suggestions about what my next plan of attach should be.  I am sick to death of being in chronic pain.  Never had chronic pain before and I hate it.  It's making my days at work drag, I'm grumpy at home, etc.  Etc...Advise????  Thanks.

Trina
Hi Trina,
  I have had the same pain going on3 yrs now.  I was a weightlifter & had stopped lifting for a cross country move. Once back to the gym, I actually felt the injury when it occurred while squatting 120lbs. ( I only weighed 135 at the time)  It was in my lt.lower back/upper butt.  After @ 2 mos, went to a DO who gave me anti-inflammatories & adjustments. Seemed to help initially.. pain kept coming back.  At this point, I couldn't even get on a treadmill without creating more pain. Last April my internist put me on Neirotin, which helped tremendously in heavy doses. Unfortuneately, I am a health professional & felt I was "floating" through the mornings, so I am only able to take it at night...I have been referred to an Anesthesiologist Pain mangmt MD for "shot".. I firmly believe I actually tore one or more of the ligaments of my SI area & now am having scar tissue forming to prevent the muscles from ability to be flexible again. This am I got on the treadmill in my garage for
7 minutes & I am now in ABSOLUTE agony.... I know that scar tissue can become functional so I am hoping the cortisone injection can give me enough time to begin to rebuild up the ligaments involved.
Any one else know when/how/if their pain is from injury?
Kim
I have a similar issue to most on this forum - more right side, than left, but pretty bad on both sides.  I also sit for long periods of time - long haul flights, in front of the computer, etc.

I find swimming helps - as does icing the lower back around L verts.  I chow ibuprofen tablets like M&Ms...

My question for this group - have any of you tried inversion therapy - using an inversion table and reversing the effect of gravity on the spine?

Just curious... I'm thinking of trying it - my chiropractor swears by it.

I want to share a terrific solution for the sitting pain of some of you.  It's a non-invasive treatment called the Graston technique. A physical therapist can do it for you. Graston has a website that will help you find someone in your area who is certified.  Go to the website for a good explanation of how it works.  It is amazing!  The technique uses special instruments that are carefully designed and the motion of the technique resembles what you might do if you were attempting to spread cold butter across bread.  It seems to smooth and release adhesions of the fascia to the muscle.  The adhesions create pain in us as sitting on a hot washboard would cause pain in someone who did not have our problem.  Good luck!  It's so wonderful!
I ~feel~ I made a terrible mistake and went to a chiropractor last summer.  I was having headaches and neck problems.  I mentioned that I had a catch in my right side sometimes and after x-raying my back was told I had about 3 - 4 places my back was out.  After about a month - one evening I was watching TV lying on our bed and I tried to get up and my right upper buttock cramped up, let out a scream and couldn't move for an hour.  I called the chiro and she said to take it easy and to take ibuprofen.  Over the next 3 1/2 months, my back cramped up on my - even at the chiro's.  She was more worried about getting me out of her office for the next customer as trying to help me!  I ended going to my family physician and he thought for sure that I had a muscle strain!  Imagine - how did I get the muscle strain???  My chiro was slamming my hips down so hard "aligning my hips" that I feel she tore my muscle... after a ton of money, lots of tears and pain I'm still trying to heal.  The doctor has me on relaxers and sent me for physical therapy.  Well now when it cramps (grabs) it don't hold on forever but it still hurts SO bad and the fear is still in the back of my mind.  I'm working a job now that all I do is sit unless I need to get up to get something or go to the bathroom.  It's kind of hard to keep a job and heal your back... thanks for all the posts and different ideas.  Hope we can all heal!
Has anyone checked to see if your SI joint is properly aligned?  I have never been to a chiropractor, but my physical therapist helped to get my SI joint in the right place and taught me strengthening exercises that now hold it in place.  It sounds like your chiropractor may have been trying to realign it from your description.  The PT did not have to do any "slamming".  Back up to a wall, walk your feet away from the wall about 2 feet, and rest your lower back against the wall. Does your lower back seem to rest evenly against the wall?  If one edge seems to push harder against the hard surface, then you may need to be checked by a pro for a misaligned SI (sacroilliac) joint.  Of course a pro can check your total alignment.

I think that muscle you are referring to may be your piriformis.  You may want to look that up.  Good luck!
Hi Sue, your symptoms and experience is identical to mine.  I first got my pain after a long haul flight to the US, this was 9 months ago and I have been to the GP with no luck, privately to a chiropracter and now I am having physiotherapy.  Nothing is working at the moment and, like you, it is very frustrating.  I work in an office, so sit for hours at a time and sometimes the pain is excruciating.  I don't want this for the rest of my life and dread long journeys, in the car, train or plane.  Very disabling.  This forum is very good.

Rose
Just skimming through most of these posts, so I may have missed vital info, but it sounds a lot like sciatica. I injured my back last year with a twisting/lifting movement and was in agony as far down as my calf. The back pain itself seemed to ease a bit in the following days, but instead became concentrated in the butt. Getting on/off seats, bending down, even getting in/out of bed was awful. It lasted for weeks. There was only one position I found completely comfortable; lying with a small cushion and hot water bottle under my butt/back where the two meet. I think it must have supported the place where the nerve was trapped, temporarily relieving the pressure and thus also the pain. I was taking anti-inflammatory pain meds too, but they don't take those sharp stabbing shocks away!
I still get twinges of it if I'm sat in one place for ages, like on long bus journeys, or if I've had a couple of inactive days, but otherwise it's okay.
If it IS sciatica, make sure to never cross your legs over one another whilst sitting; it twists everything out of alignment and makes it more likely to reoccur! Also, if you get a jolt of pain as you go to move, only move on your in-breath; for some reason (oxygen levels?) it's more bearable that way.
Hi everyone - this has been an interesting forum.  I too have pain in my right butt and would say first thing in the morning there is absolutely no paid and it is only when I start moving around and sitting that I notice the pain coming back.  Luckily, I can remember exactly what caused my problem.  I was up a ladder and on coming down, I thought I was much nearer the bottom when I jumped off.  Because I thought I was much nearer the bottom, I had already turned my leg in preparation of walking to the side of the ladder.  When my foot/leg hit the deck I immediately heard and felt a click in my right hip joint - since then it's been painful in my right butt every time I sit down of put weight on my right leg.  Of the advice above, I think calcium tables might be a good thing and perhaps my coccyx needs re-alignment as indicated by contributor 'grafwag' above.  
This is a most interesting forum - thank you to all the contributors.  I too have pain in my right butt and would say that first thing in the morning there is absolutely no paid and it is only when I start moving around and sitting that I notice the pain coming back.  Fortunately, I do remember exactly how this particular uncomfortable problem came about.  I was up a ladder and on coming down, I misjudged the distance from the ground and ended up jumping off from a greater height.  I had already turned my right leg in preparation of walking to the side of the ladder and when my foot hit the deck I immediately heard and felt a click in my right hip joint - since then I've had pain in my right butt each time I sit down or put any sort of weight on my right leg.  Of the advice above, I think calcium tables might be a good thing as posted by 'dclark99' and I could have my coccyx re-alignment as indicated by contributor 'grafwag' above. Also another interesting forum to visit is TIPNA as suggested by contributor 'doedoe1' above.
My butt pain is different than most of you.  I feel very little discomfort when I am sitting.  When I stand up, however, I get a sharp pain through my upper right buttock. It almost makes my leg collapse. It does not radiate down my leg, and it eventually goes away as I walk.  If I get up slowly, and keep my back bent as I get up, I get much less pain.  I am a very active 55 year old woman.
I am an active 53 year old woman.  I have been exercising 6 days a week either doing the eliptical (for an hour) and weight machines (both upper and lower body) (1/2 hour) or walking for an hour outside with my dogs.    I recently have developed pain just above my right buttock area.  It does not radiate down my leg but if I bend my chin down to my chest or if I cough or clear my throat I feel pain there (in the buttock area).  Also sitting, walking etc...  I have been doing some streches that I found online and am going today for a massage. I have not been to the doctor about this yet.  I actually worked out this past week despite the pain but now the pain is worse so I will not work out for awhile until the pain subsides or I find out what is  wrong. Does anyone else have symptoms like mine?
Please note that prostatitis can present as deep buttock and groin pain particularly when sitting. This should be considered by your physician during an evaluation.
I hope this is important information which may help a lot of you.  I was on a tread mill for a stress test and right at the end I thought I pulled a muscle.  It continued to hurt in my right buttock and I couldn't sit for more than 15 minutes.  It was especially painful when driving.  The pain would start and go to my knee but never to my foot.  I was sent to physical therapy, deep tissue massage, bone DR., took nerve test, had an MRI, acupuncture,  and finally a pain Dr. recommended by a friend.  This went on for over a year without any improvement except sitting on a pillow while driving.  Even that only extended the relief for a short time.
I was told by the pain Dr. that they couldn't do anything for me and sent me home.

My friend went back to the pain Dr. for himself (different issue) and complained that he had highly recommended him to me. (I was seen by another DR in the Office).  A few days later the office called me and said to come back in.  They had reviewed my case and thought they might be able to do something.  I went in and they put a shot of cortisone in my sacroiliac while monitoring the shot with some form of X Ray.  I could see it flowing into the joint on a screen.  I felt no pain and it was over in a few minutes.  

I went home and two days later I had no pain in my butt.  In fact, a chronic back pain that I had for many years also disappeared.  It's now been six months, I drove to Canada to fish, plus did several other long trips.  No pain. I say it's a miracle because no other DR would consider such a treatment.  They all thought it was due to my back and pinched nerves.  I now tell everybody about this since no one mentioned that the sacroiliac could cause this problem.

Hopefully this treatment will work on others as well.  If you would like more information, please let me know through this column.
About 5 years ago I had pain along the top of my butt that got worse and worse to the point the it would wake me up sometimes. My chiropractor who did deep muscle work as well as the chiropractic adjustments had taken care of many aches and pains but this one she didn't seem to be able to help me with. Then one day she told me about Egoscue Method. I began doing those exercises (e-cises they're nicknamed because they seem so "easy") and the effect on my body was immediate, my chiropractor was very impressed. The idea behind Egoscue Method is that our bodies need a wide range of motion and our lifestyles offer limited repetitive motions. Egoscue Method gets the muscles that have stopped participating to gently come on board. It took a couple of years to eliminate the butt pain, but I felt so much better in so many ways as those 2 years progressed that I didn't mind the wait for that particular pain to disappear fully. I continue to do some Egoscue Method e-cises as close to daily as I can manage because they keep the pain away. Linda
http://www.kersschot.com/Biopuncture.html
I have had similar butt pain as the rest of you on this board.  It started Aug. 2010 while I was running.  I would get this pain where I couldn't lie down which made sleeping very difficult.  It would come for a week and then go away until I would lift something very heavy a few months later and the pain would come back.  I have now had a constant pain for  1 1/2 months where I can hardly function during the day and it gets worse when I sit down or try to lie down to sleep.  I have been to the PT, Chrio., have had accupunture, electric stem, ultrasound and massage with no relief.  I am told it is my right obturator internus muscle that is causing me all this pain.  I have FOUND SOME RELIEF AND WANT TO SHARE!!  Last week I checked out a book from the library called The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies with Amber Davies.  I have been doing this trigger point therapy at home and I am no longer in constant pain.  The pain is still there but I have had 1-2 good days where I can hardly feel the pain on my right butt.  Please look into this book.  It didn't cost me a thing and I am so happy that I can function like a normal person again.  Good Luck to you all.
I'm like drc111, and having good results from trigger point therapy. Much I can do myself. Here is my suggested list of things to do. I've suffered 'the works' over 20 years (coccyx, back, legs, achilles, etc, etc), and this is easily the best so far.
1. Psoas release. Once a physio does it, you can copy and do it yourself, every morning and night, in bed. Easy. Videos on YouTube. Read the short easy-to-read book called Front to Back - The Hidden Culprit by Aileen Jeffris. Staggering.
2. Bend and touch your toes (or try). If you feel tightness in your calves or behind your knees, get some 'dry needling' to release the trigger points. You will have stiffness afterward for up to 36 hours.
3. Bend and touch your toes again. You should now feel the tightness in your thighs instead of your calves. Get some 'dry needling' to release those trigger points. You should now be able to touch your toes (or very close) without pre-stretching! Now you are correctly using your waist and your leg muscles are 'free'. Amazing!
4. Get some more dry needling in your butt muscles: Gluteus minimus - maximos - medius, and the TFL. to release those trigger points.
5. Sit in a chair, bend forward slightly to relax your abs. You should create a 'roll of fat'. Kneed it all over for a few minutes a day until the pain is gone. Do your waist and up the sides of your ribs....anywhere you can reach that feels tender.  The pain will go.
6. Feel along your chest for 'sore spots'. Also, from the solar plexus, down the rib line. Rub forward/backward on the spot for 60 seconds. May be uncomfortable, but will go over time. Repeat each day.
7. Do the same just off the edge of your pubic bone, just off centre.
8. Get someone else to do the same around your shoulder blades, arm socket, upper traps.
9. Get a QL (Quadratus Lumborum) release. (video on YouTube).
10. Finally, get the Pole of Pain, aka Foam Roller,, and roll inner thighs, and generally all over.

You will feel much better, gain some relief and begin to zoom in on any remaining sore spots. I can't believe how much better my back felt after trigger point work on my chest, and I now stand straighter!

I now look up the Trigger Point Therapy workbook and then tell my specially selected chiro & physio (who both do dry needling) where I need my dry needling for that session.

So to all the ignorant practitioners I've seen over the years, some who are quite well known, I wont be back.
It has been a while since your post! I was wondering if you have come up with a solution? I am a 38 year old active female. Last year I noticed a pinching pain in my right butt cheek. I thought it was wierd and grew concerned when it went from a pinch to pain. I backed off biking (road bike) for a while and it did get better. Earlier this spring I started again and had no issues. I then picked up running again and it has steadily grown worse. The dull pinching pain is unusual and has my GP and my Chiro very frustated. It is now radiating pain to the upper backside of my pelvic bones. Unlike others here, mine does not hurt while sitting, but when I get up from a chair it is extremely painful. As well as walking shortly after. Oddly it does not hurt while running. Sometimes I am "aware" of it while running, but not in pain. I have stopped running for almost a week and I am still in alot of pain. Lying down has no effect at all. I am going for xrays next week, but I was hoping maybe you had learned something about your condition that I could learn from. It sounds so similar. Or if anyone else had any positive results. Bursitis (sp) has been ruled out for the record. I hope all of you are healing well :)
pain in right side of butt.worse when standing, pain goesdownright leg to just above knee
I had severe pain in my right rear, cramping down my right leg, and into my right toe.  After the 4th MRI, the neurologist found the problem.  It showed up in a pelvic MRI.  I have a hematoma and a strained glute.  Blood is going into my muscles.  I'm not sure how that happened.  I started on a medrol dose pack today, and have a prescription for pain meds.  The pain is not coming from my spine, even though I have arthrosis in my facet joints.  I will see an orthopod this week to see if I need to do anything else other than wait for my body to heal.  Fortunately, this is fixable, but I had been frustrated by no diagnosis and lots of pain.
i have a question I am  20 year old female i have pain in my right buttocks travelling down my leg and my last two toes ar numb i cant feel them. sometimes the pain comes straight from my back to my butt and down my leg could this be a pinched nerve? i have no medical or job so i cant go to be seen by a dr. can anyone help me??
hi i have pain in my right buttock and it get worse buy doing fitness but sumtimes its in both left and right buttock its worse when i try to turn over in my sleep. it seems to die down when doing fitness but gets really bad once i stop exciseing the army given me a month to recover does any1 no what it is
have you tried Med-X ? It is a clinical treatment for LBP it helps recondition the para spinals and rehydrate the disc research at Med-X.com
Hi there,
I have exactly the same symptoms and had a laproscopy done and found out that I have what is called palvic floor hernia and there is not so much they can do about it. I am definitly not giving up and will let you know if there is options. sometimes strenghtening the pelvic floor muscels would help.
good luck and I feel your pain.
sorry I also forgot to mention depening on severity of it you could even get alot of presur on the rectum which also depends on the location of the hernia. :)
similar symptoms.. I'm 43 and have been dealing with this for 1-1/2 years.  Don't know what I did to injure Right buttock, when sitting too much it is aggravated (wouldn't call it pain, just a nagging & distracting issue).  Saw a neurologist, had every nerve test there was, had cervical AND lumbar MRI, which showed nothing wrong (but a little arthritis).  Saw physical therapist for months, then received 9 injections over the last year (varying from periformis, SI joint, lumbar, and finally the cervical spine injection did the trick for about 6 months only)... now it's back and it causes me crabbiness at the end of each day, when I sit too long.  I'm fine at home on weekends, not so much sitting around (or sitting on a soft couch)!  It does not prevent me from doing exercises and I am best when active.  I am very flexible, and any move/stretch they do to me does not hurt, the stretching feels good.  Now I'm seeing a chiropractor for some deep tissue massage, I do get some relief, but a few days later after sitting too much, it's back (I do make every effort to get up and stretch/move around.... I have done everything I've been told to do.  Chiropractor has taken a look at my MRI results and he doesn't see anything either out of the ordinary.  Next thing he would recommend to my Dr is getting a pelvic MRI.  I'm just sick of doctoring and I've got a lot of time invested in this - it's exhausting just thinking about it all, and what's ahead of me.  Don't know if it's a nerve or muscle - I wish there was a vitamin or herb out there that repairs muscles (if thats what it really is).  Thanks for any advice
Just noticed your comment and I know it's been quite some time but I was wondering how you were doing ?  I too have your symptoms, and I ride a bike.
Hi Sue,

I know you posted this comment awhile back, but wanted to check with you and see if you ever got your pain resolved and if you ever found out what it is.

I have the same problem and have had it for almost 2 years now. My orthopedic did xrays and MRI and says everything looks fine and that I would have to learn to live with it. Living with it is not working for me. I had new furniture and blamed the pain on that, so bought more new furniture...still having pain, now I resort to sitting in a computer chair with cushions....still hurts! Most evenings I'm forced to go lay in bed either face down or on my side because I can no longer sit. This started almost 2 years ago after a 7 hour plane ride... I can't get any docotr to understand the pain I'm in, they all tell me there's nothing showing on tests.

I have this pain when sitting, not so much when standing. I can feel it also if I try to tighten my buttocks muscles...pain is sometimes unbearable
I wonder if this person with lower back pain drives a P.T. Cruiser?  Have similar pain, getting worse, and my analysis takes the beginning of this pain to the coincidence of the purchase of this car; plus it is actually not a physically comfortable car for me to drive.  The seats are unbelievably small.  Am considering selling my Cruiser because of this growing more painful back problem.
   My history: for several years, right buttock pain when sitting (no nerve involvement), probably from years of jogging on concrete, then sitting all day at the computer, and letting the pain go untreated; it would wax and wane.  A year ago after increasing weights on the leg press at the gym, the pain worsened; couldn't even walk without pain.  Sports medicine doc diagnosed it as ischial bursitis; three steroid injections did not help at all.  Physical therapists taught me exercises to strengthen the muscles in the area.  Those exercises actually seemed to make it worse.  Had to quit exercising; couldn't even walk on the track at the gym.  I sit on frozen gel paks ALL the time; take a polar pak with ice in ziplocks on planes...somewhat embarrassing.

Finally a physician in the physical medicine dept. of the Mayo Clinic here in Rochester, Minnesota, ordered an MRI which showed minimal tendon damage.  He said it was due to letting the problem become chronic, but because it was minimal, with work I could expect some healing.  Below is what he recommended for me four months ago and it's the first real relief I've received.

What's worked:
1.  Stretching exercise:  Back straight, bend to waist over a table/counter until you feel a gentle pull in the buttock, push back up with hands.  45 repetitions, three times a day.  Gradually increase the depth you bend.  I had improvement in the pain within three weeks.  This is the main thing that has helped me.
2.  QUIT RE-INJURING THE TENDON!  No elliptical, no running/distance walking, but swimming instead.  Stop any activity that worsens the pain. After a few months, I can gradually build up to walking two miles every other day, my goal.
3.  Nitro-dur patch, cut into fourths; one fourth placed on the site for 12 hours each day.  The doc said this is not proven yet in the literature, but is promising.
4.  Sit on frozen gel paks; they're theraputic as well as reduce pain.  I have to even take them to restaurants, movies. etc.

I am a 63 yo female, an R.N.  I know this ischial tendonopathy will be chronic with me since I left it untreated for so long, but the above regimen has decreased the pain by 70% I'd say.  Hope this is of some help to you.
hi,

I have the same problem - very frustrating.  I do go to massage weekly because I found a massage school nearby where I can get a massage cheaper so please see if there is one in your area as it does help at least!
DITTO on all of the above..This sounds just like my life..I too have been doing therapt with massages, ultrasound and now traction..which helps but does not take the pain away for any amount of time..Trying to get anyone to order an MRI seems to be the big problem right now.. I do some stretching exercises but really like the sounds of the one your doing so am going to try it..This a miserable problem and people just don't get it..i always say that if I'm going to hurt like this at least show me a scar of something that proves I DO have this pain..I sometimes think its all in my head..I too am in my 60's and a retired RN...maybe  all those years on concrete floors contributed to our problem...
Good luck to you and thanks for the info........
Dec 12 I slipped in the bath and basically did the splits. I am 53 and about 350. The pain was unbearable.. I could not even get to car to go to hospital. Had 2 have an ambulance. Sports Med Dr. said torn hamstring. MY left leg turned black from but cheek to ankle. To this day I can not sit for more than 10 15 minutes (even on pillow) and when I do stand the pain is almost unbearable. I have almost fallen a couple of times.. I have tried stretching, lite leg lifts on my home gym and its not getting better.. all they did at hospital was take an xray and said nothing broken... I have made another appointment with Dr. but I dont think it will do much good...what can I do or say to them that this is real pain... I can not work as I am a Software engineer and need to sit for long periods..
Possibly the reason docs don't order an MRI is they know it's not likely to show anything definitive, no matter your pain. If you can walk into their office, the ischial hamstring tendon is probably not torn, so surgery isn't indicated and the treatment is thus fairly routine:  rest the area (kind of hard when you still have to walk and sit, isn't it!), ice, stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, and to quit re-injuring the area.
The reason the MRI was ordered for me was because after months of physical therapy my pain was not improved and the PRP (platelet rich plasma) procedure was being considered.  But when the MRI showed "mininal damage" to my tendon, the doc himself showed me the stretching exercise I described above; he said new research has shown that really helps.  No physical therapist had ever shown me that exercise.  They seemed to favor strengthening exercises and apparently I needed more stretching and less strengthening.
  I still have to carry my ice paks everywhere I go and have to endure pain, but nothing like it previously was.  I'm able to walk a mile a day now; my goal is two miles.
Oh, when I lost five pounds I found the pain was less, so I'm working to lose five more.
Yes, we RNs really pushed our bodies with all the standing, lifting, etc. and with little education on good body mechanics.  Good luck with your pain reduction.

Does your medical facility have a physical medicine department?  I found the docs there more helpful for my ischial tendinopathy than the sports medicine department.  Seems like Phy. Med. was more geared to older patients with chronic problems, or multiple problems, rather than the younger athlete...just my impression.

Since your tendon is torn, you possibly would be a candidate for surgery.  

I work at a computer a lot too, so I raised my computer up so that I could stand and work at it.  But you said standing was painful.  The one position I could be in that didn't hurt, was lying on my side.  Maybe you could somehow rig your computer where you could work lying on your side.

Also, sitting on ice (freezer gel paks) not only reduces pain, but it's theraputic too.  Cushions alone are not enough.

Good luck, and be persistant about finding a doc to help you.
Hi all -

I am a 51 year old female who just over a year and a half ago experienced tailbone pain out of the blue when I went to sit down. This pain ended up spreading to my lowerback, hips and legs, but was worse on the left.  I could not sit for more than 10-15 minutes and sleeping was almost impossible. I have always been active and for the past 18 months had been enjoying running prior to this injury. I had been in physical therapy off and on for 7 years prior to that for problems with my back, neck and shoulder, some of which was found to be related to hip alignment. I fell in the tub when i was 7 1/2 months pregnant with my 1st child (17+ years ago). After my second child I started having problems with my mid back and things went on and on from there...

The reason I bring up the history is because of the info I ended up finding out in my search for relief...starting with the significantly more recent tailbone pain above. My search for this most recent issue included 1 GP,. a Orthopedic Specialist, 2 physical Therapists (the latter of which has 8 visits still in appeal due to medical necessity), many x-rays, MRI's etc. The last PT found my body riddled with scar tissue, which, when I sat, would pull my hips, back and legs in mutliple and opposite positions...mostly the wrong ones. ASTYM treatments helped to finally breakdown some of this excessive scar tissue, when standard soft tissue manipulations would not. I was still not 100%...I was probably at 60-65 on a good day after this treatment went into hiatus. The ASTYM is intense and my orthopedic guy wanted to make sure any inflammation settled down to see where I was progress wise. This is when I found out insurance had bulked so I could not go back. this was September of last year. I finally paid out of pocket for a Chiropractor (specifically an Applied Kinesiologist). He watched me walk down his hall twice and found like 10+ areas of issue. He pulled on my right leg and removed 50% of my pain. I had multiple FACET IMBRICATIONS in my lumbar area (especially L3-L5) pushing on my sacrum. Secondly, I have major scar tissue in my hips, buttucks, legs and throughout my back. I also had 5 bones out in my right foot...the shocker...it was in the exact area where I sprained my ankle when I was 12-13. My range of motion with my ankle was maybe 25%. I had NO IDEA. Walking everyday for my whole life, let alone running, was already making my body overcompensate horribly. I am very flexible and have a high tolerance for pain and adapting to it...go figure. This, plus two major car accidents fed some of this, but so did taking advantage of my flexibility and adaptability for most of my life. Who knew not being able to sit would change my perspective on how absolutely blessed I was prior to its onset. I am getting better because of the help a few paid visits to a this Chirproator/Kinesiologist. He taught me and my husband how to help breakdown this scar tissue ourselves by using hubby's elbow in those all tender areas. It hurts like heck, but you have to apply consistent deep pressure until it releases. I use a golfball or soft baseball when hubbies elbow is not available.

Scar tissue could be something compromising your progress as well. Talk to your Orthopedic doctor, PT or Chiropractor. Or, look into one that can think outside the box and knows something about scar tissue and/or ASTYM/ASTM. Check with insurance to make sure it is covered and to what level and most of all know your body and push until you find an answer AND RELIEF. I can actually sit most often now with only pressure and slight discomfort. I am not 100%, but I feel like I am on my way. I just have to be patient and keep pushing!

NOTE: Drugs and shots will not solve this problem - they will only help manage the pain. if you have pain that is not being found on a traditional xray/MRI than most likely something is being pinch and/or pulled. Orthopedic doctors/Radiologists don't look for or see everything that can cause this pain on an Xray. My Orthopedic doctor said "WE don't look at x-rays the same way as a Chiropractor!" I don't really get that...if there is a different way to look at an x-ray and you don't know how to....than why wouldn't you refer me to someone else that could, if I am having pain you can't figure out????? Check into or research Applied Kinesiology as an option too and BLESSINGS and PRAYERS to you all!!!!
Hi. Years ago I had severe lower back pain in my left side. When I would sit and lean forward, I could feel a bulge on the left side. Standing the bulge disappeared. I had a been a gymnast as a child and very, very flexible. Doctors said it was a harmless lipoma. No one wanted to do anything about it. The pain increased so I finally got a surgeon willing to operate. It was NOT a lipoma, but a rare gluteal hernia in the muscle tissue. These hernias are very, very rare and doctors do not look for them nor consider them in men and especially in women.

I am currently researching surgeons where I live now because I just found another one in the right side - same area, same bulge, same pain! Some of you may want to research this and bring it up with your doctors. These hernias are very, very rare and occur more often in athletes. Just a suggestion for some of you!
Hi I've recently started getting pains in my lower back only in the right side and get a sore bum also in my right side and a throbbing pain also in the right side I'm scared to go to gp as I'm a keen exerciser and play football 2x a week I'm only 32 and female but I feel exercise helps me it's the sitting and standing that I'm uncomfortable with can anyone help or give me advice thanks carie
Hello - I am scheduled for this surgery in May. I am scared to death to do it, but I am so over this pain. I used to run and cycle everyday and now I can walk and lift a bit every other day with pain. I am so glad to hear your story. The recovery scares me, as I have rarely gone a day without exercising before all of this happened. Do you have any good recovery tips? You have helped me realize I need to do this to get better and I can do it and be able to run and cycle and live again! Thanks for any tips!
Hi there, I've had similar pain to yours for nearly 8 years now.  Started with sore pain at the hamstring insertion point into my pelvis and has just spread and the pain become more intense.  Sitting is really uncomfortable and I have a desk job yet I've just returned from walking in the mountains where the hamstring pain decreased as my legs got stronger.  It's only in one leg.  I've seen three neurologists, had endless MRI's, NSID's don't make a lot of different.  Have had various cortisone injections that made no significant difference either.  What was it that your physio did that made a difference?.
I am a 45 year old female who has not constant but severe pain in my left buttock and feels like I am sitting on a large stone digging into my hip bone. Any suggestions on where to start. Seems I am finding from posts above that Drs can't diagnose it.
I had back pain for years, and nothing worked, finally I went to the Canadian Back Institute in Scarborough Ontario Canada. Voila!! 3 different exercises and
I was almost pain free.

A few years later I got a dog that I walked twice a day, but started to notice that I was having pain in my knee and back which was getting worse. I invested in flexible orthotics and that did the trick, At 76 I'm still going strong, except if I shovel snow, which I did  2 weeks ago and am paying for it until I get around to doing my exercises again. GET BUSY  WITH EXERCISES !!!!!! BEST THING FOR YOU.
Hi all, I hurt my lower back around 2006 on some sit up and did MRI on 2008 and it shows that i had a degenerative disc on L5. I didn`t pay my attention on the back pain during this time. As i just endure the back pain. But i started to have numbness on my butt when i seat down around 2010. I didn`t pay much attention to it either until recent years the pain on my butt is very painful especially sitting on hard surface! It feels like sitting on my butt bone and it is very painful! I find out that my feet gets painful when standing also. I had a MRI again and the doctor said the nerve is not pinch. I had try taking neurobion with some med to relax the nerve but not much relief and i don`t want to depend on these pills. Hope someone can advice on my situation. It is really affecting my daily life`s and sleep too.
Jincai Male 36years old
research PUDENDAL NERVE ENTRAPMENT