Exercise & Fitness Community

Un intended weight loss has diminished my gluteus.

Kids: "Look at Mom's flat butt!"

I have always been fit. I work out, and prepare healthy meals. I just turned 50 and have 4 kids. I am 5'7" and weigh 118 lbs. i use to have a bubble butt. I noticed after the birth of my 4th child, and losing 15 lbs of pregnancy weight, the bubble was no longer there but still had a perky nice shape.

Fast forward to 13 years later, an  unimaginable family tragedy occurred. My life and that of my family's lives have been drastically altered forever. In feel numb and am thankful not to have had a breakdown. I maintained my workouts throughout, which is what probably saves me from complete despair.

Two years later and for done reason, the past two months, i have had a decreased appetite. Before I knew it I had dropped 8 -9 lbs and my kids and friends are joking about the flatlands. My rear seemed to disappear overnight. My jeans and workout leggings are now baggy in the rear. I no longer have a shapely, perky butt.

My question to you is:
Can I get back what I had 2 months ago? And is there a specific diet to put back on the lost weight in my glutes? Besides squats, what other dedicated exercises do you recommend?  My husband is not happy with my new shape.

Help! Please advise.

Thank you

The most effective method of stimulating muscle growth in your butt is by training your lower body with compound exercises. Compound exercises are multi-joint and multiple muscle group exercises. Because compound exercises work large muscle groups throughout your entire body, they are better at stimulating muscle growth. After warming for at least five minutes aerobically and with at least one warmup set, select a weight for each exercise in which muscle exhaustion occurs between eight and 12 repetitions for three to five sets, resting 60 to 90 second between each set.

Wide-stance squats are slightly more effective at activating the glutes than standard barbell squats. Start by positioning the racked barbell across your trapezius muscle. Grasp each side of the barbell midway between your shoulder and the weight plate and pull your elbows to the rear. Dismount the barbell from the squat rack and stand with your feet wider than shoulder-width apart and your toes pointed out slightly. Bend your knees and push your hips backward, lowering down until your thighs are just past parallel to the floor to activate your glutes. If you do not drop down past parallel, your glutes will not be stimulated as much. Your back should be straight and knees pointed in the same direction as your feet throughout the entire movement. Extend your hips and knees, return to starting position and repeat. Use at least one experienced spotter when performing heavy squats.

The deadlift is one of the best exercises for stimulating the butt to grow. Stand with your feet slightly less than shoulder-width apart in front of the barbell and squat down, pushing your hips far back. Grasp the bar about shoulder-width apart using an overhand grip. Keep your shoulders back and down and your head in line with your spine. Pull the bar up by leading with your chest and not your hips. Keep the barbell as close to your shins as possible, and once the bar reaches your knees, push your hips forward until you are upright. Squeeze your glutes at the top of the deadlift, and do not arch your lower back. Reverse the movement to return the barbell to the floor and repeat.

The glutes and quadriceps are the main muscles stressed during the lunge. However, taking a larger step forward in the lunge will place more stress on the hamstrings and glutes. Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Take a large step forward with your right leg while keeping your torso upright. Bend your right knee until your right thigh is slightly below parallel to the floor and your left knee almost touches the floor. Return to starting position by extending your hip and knee. Repeat the lunge on your left leg.

The key to achieving results in muscle growth. Periodically use different exercises in your training program to stimulate your glutes from different angles. Additional exercises targeting the glutes include straight leg deadlifts, hack squats, bench step-ups, leg press, cable kickbacks, reverse hyperextension, lying hip extension and split squats.
I suggest 2 things, google each exercise to see how to perform them and you should join a gym.

The following you can do at home!
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/ss/slideshow-build-a-better-butt

Eat lean protein in your diet when trying to gain muscle in your lower half, including cottage cheese, egg whites, white fish and whey protein -- eating as much as 1.2 grams per pound of your body weight daily. You can also reach your higher calorie goals with larger servings of whole grains and starchy vegetables as well as with the addition of high-quality fats such as olive oil, nuts, avocados and coconut oil.
Including these foods alone won't build a bigger butt and meatier thighs. Think of the diet as support for your efforts at the gym. A consistent strength-training program that emphasizes squats, lunges and deadlifts -- compound exercises that support the building of lower body mass is essential to gaining muscle in your lower half. The muscle takes several weeks or months to develop but will leave you taught.