Aa
A
A
A
Close
Exercise & Fitness Community
6.19k Members
1213491 tn?1266275795

Will asthma cause high heart rate during exercise?

I am a 52 year old, over weight, out of shape woman. I have obesity related asthma and diabetes.. I have recently  joined a gym but within 8 minutes of being on the treadmill, at only 2 mph, my heart rate is up  to  132-135.. there is no chest pain or discomfort but the high numbers scare me.. I feel like I am not getting enough air into my lungs.. I am newly diagnosed with asthma. I am 5'2" and 238  lbs. Is the high heart rate dangerous? Oh, I have had tachycardia all my life but my heart rate is not THAT high except when I am exercising.  
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello!

Bronchial asthma causes tachycardia and with control of your respiratory symptoms you would control your heart rate.

It is very important to take proper medications for dilating your air ways and also to avoid all allergens which trigger your asthma.

I would suggest you to continue cardio as in treadmill, cross trainer, skipping, jogging and running regularly for 45 minutes.

I would also suggest you to follow up with a physician regularly and plan a diet chart with the help of a dietician.

Take care!
Top Healthy Living Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.