Aa
A
A
A
Close
Exercise & Fitness Community
5.95k Members

exercise after back surgery

I had a L4-S1 spinal fusion and used to be a avid runner have you ever heard of people who still can do this after this kind of surgery? If not ,any suggestions of other good work out ideas
1 Responses
I would not presume to tell you what you could and could not do after a lumbar fusion. Best to talk to the operating surgeon, and you can also ask for  a referral to a physical therapist for more information about activity levels.  

I've heard you have to be about 1 year post  surgery before beginning any exercise programs? A friend of mine had a cervical fusion and she was told no heavy weightlifting, which is  really a drag, because she  loved doing those kinds of workouts.  But she deals with it.  Also, high-impact might not be in the equation, but again you need to check with your doc and not rely on a bunch of Internet yahoos for this kind of advice.  Did you have a cage inserted?

Anything mild is probably going to speed healing as soon as  you feel like you can do it, like walking or swimming. If you get a negative  on the running or high impact, the next best thing to reach that level of endurance would probably be a ski machine in the summer, like a Nordic track set-up, and cross country skiing in the winter if  you live in the snow. Frankly, it's probably better  for you than running anyway.

But I'd check with the doc. I'm a long distance runner myself, and I  know that being away from it would drive me crazy!

Keep us posted on what you learn about this. Really, check with the doc first. I presume you already did some research on the tubes about this - medical websites, orthopedic websites.  You can also post on the orthopedic forum here, I'll bet there are post fusion patients over there giving advice.

Good luck!
Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.