Exercise & Fitness Community

exercise with chronic aortic disection

I am a former athlete who suffered an aortic disection in eight years ago while skiing in Squaw Valley.  It was repaired with a homograph (human) replacement of my aortic valve and ascending aorta.  This occurred due to a genetic connective tissue disorder similar to, but not as widespread in my body as, Marfan's syndrome.

My descending aorta is still disected with a false lumen all the way down to my iliac arteries (legs).  Numerous CT scans (now yearly) have shown no change or deterioration of my condition, maintaining a stable diameter.  I am on Lisinopril and Atenolol to maintain low blood pressure (110/60) and pulse (55-60), and 81 mg Aspirin, as well as 40 mg Lovastatin to keep cholesterol at 160 (my HDL is 55-60).

I would like to maintain fitness with an exercise routine, and have been advised by dfoctors in the past to avoid anything that would raise my pulse over 100 or put any strain or increased pressure within my chest davity.  So I have been working out with light weights and high repetitions on various machines which isolate the specific muscles worked, working until temporary exhaustion of the muscle, usually two sets of a triple drop after warming up.  I am interested in the PACE program of Dr. Al Sears for cardio conditioning, which involves interval training on a treadmill or bike, alternating intense bursts of 30-90 seconds with 2 minute rest intervals of normal intensity.  

Are there any doctors with advice on exercising with chronic aortic disection, or others out there with a similar condition who have experience with exercising?  Thanks!
I am 18 Months out from my repair.  I am also finding it difficult to obtain information on what is happening within
my body.  I was told that I could do anything my body would let
me do with no restrictions.
My BP is about 110/70 with meds.  
I have gone through being light headed, dizzy, double vision,
etc. Told that I have a balance problem and things will get
better has the body adjusts to it......  Seems to be right
things are getting a lot better.

However,  the Doctors have said the disection will repair.....
over time.  What does that mean?  

They monitor my progess with CT and all the new tech .....
I still have blood flow on both sides of the disection,
and they had trouble telling which side was the true "lumen"
and which was the false "lumen"

I was given a tread mill test, but I took my blood pressure meds
as normal----  I went 10 Min. but could only get my pulse
to 105 before my blood pressure started to rise and they
took me off the tread mill.  They had no worry about trying to get my rate to 128 b/min. but did not want my pressure to
get above 140/85.

My interest is in obraining information about my ongoing health and what recomendations are there to help improve my health and chances of not having complications.?  Thanks  Jim

I see your comments are from 2006. Would you post an update? I  had a ascending and descending dissection in April 2014, four months ago. The type B Ascending dissection was repair with a mechanical  valve.   l have a large dissection below the kidney that is being treated with medications. I am very afraid to exercise. Can you share your experiences please. Thank you.  
ROGER