Exercise & Fitness Community

working out and gaining weight?

I am a 28 year old female 5'4", now 181 pounds.  I have been very faithful working out for 2 months now buring 500 kcal or more at least 4 days, usually 5 weekly.  The only diet modification I have made is I started eating oatmeal and salad regularly, whereas I never did before.  My workouts have been cardio/aerobic in nature and I workout within my target heart rate.  Problem is I have gained 6 pounds in the time I have been trying to LOSE it.  

Any thoughts?
Well, congratulations on your new plan.

Muscle weighs more than fat, probably the best judge is,...how do your clothes feel, are they tighter?
I have gained weight in the past when trying to lose, and what I discovered is that I was really eating more than I realized.
Salads can be very high in calories when they include cheese, croutons, creamy dressings, etc. Something else I didscovered was that eating 4 or 5 small meals a day instead of 1 big one made a huge difference. If you have done any starving of yourself lately to lose weight, what you have done is caused your body to go into what is no less than a "survival" mode. That's where your metabolism comes all the way down to nothing to conserve the little energy it is being fed, then when you eat a normal amount, it just stores it as fat for the next starvation period.
It can be a real yo-yo affect. Continue to work out, eat sensible, (not late at night) drink lots of water, and watch as the weight rolls off.(women also carry alot of water weight, causing ups and downs in weight)
lilmoma
Don't count on the estimates of your burned calories.  Cut back other things you eat, not all, but the higher calorie ones at least.  How much oatmeal and how big a salad ?  Did you eliminate something else in those meals, hopefully more calories than you added ?

What are your sin foods, the ones that give you the most calories that would be best to give up ? Give them up, it'll losing weight a lot easier. Every 3500 calories a week you cut out of your diet is about a pound off.  But diet too much, your metabolism will drop. That is why you wnat to do some strengthening activities.

See about getting a scale (Tanita) that gives you your body fat and weight in fractional increments.  Weigh yourself daily, same time of day.  You want to at least see the B.F. starting to creep down.

Target heart rate depends on conditioning.  If you are starting, just walk until you can walk fast for a long time.  Then get into running or jogging because you can't walk any faster.  This should take you at least a month.

I have been experiencing the same problem that you have and am the same height and weight.  I exercise apx 8 hours per week and I do not drop weight; rather I gain weight.  I have had extensive Thyroid testing done as I have had hypothyroidism most of my life.  But, everything appears to be normal and there is no explanation for my weight gain. Recently I have seen some improvement when I have added a boot camp class 2 times per week to my 8 hours of cycling. I have not yet lost weight but can notice a small difference in inches.  While exercising I use a Polar heart rate monitor with Own Cal and this seems to be the most accurate as compared to other monitors. Good luck!
Hey hows everyone doing?
Ok recently i have been doing a pyramid style work out lifting weights to gain muscle mass. i think it might be working. for some reason i have gained a few pounds in the past two weeks that i have been doing this pyramid style work out. I do not eat a ton of food and i also do cardio each time i work out, which is about 5 times a week.
I was just wondering if anyone had an incite as to why i might be gaining this weight, i really dont want to gain weight, but i guess if its muscle weight then that is different from fat weight. so if anyone could offer some advice that would be great.
as long as your working and not eating to much then your probly making mussle which is mor dense than fat so go to your docter and get a body fat test and then next time u go after than get another one and see if uv lost any bodie fat and a lot of times u will go down a few sizes in close but you will still be ganing weight its is because the fat is turning into mussle
You have to eat enough to support your workouts.  Be sure you shake up your workouts every now and then, too.

Your body gets very good at conserving energy if you always do the same things.