Eating right and not losing weight - RA

I am a 46 year old woman with Rhuematoid Arthritis. Prior to onset, I was a very thin person.  I am overall small boned but tall.   I have gained 50 pounds and am trying to lose it. I am eating right, lean meats, healthy carbs, whole grains in limited amounts, no sugars and only good fats in small quantities.  For example, this week, my diet was right on with calories ranging from 675- 1100 and I gained 1 pound.  
I do not exercise as much as I would like as the pain gets to be too much. I do cardio 15-30 3x week, water aerobics x2 week and a dance class (low impact) once a week.  I drink very little beyond water and one NF SF latte a day.
I have lost 15 pounds over the last 3 months and now, nothing for the last 6 weeks.  What the heck am I doing wrong?  How can I get the scale to move and get moving in a negative direction?  Is this possibly a meds issue?  I have read side effects, but none say weight gain.
Please help. I am serioulsy frustrated and sad.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am a 32 year old female.  I have rheumatoid arthritis and am getting married in a year.  I am 5' tall and 192 pounds.  I desperately want to lose weight.  Four weeks ago I started a fitness boot camp that combines high intensity cardio and circuit weight training.  Two weeks ago I started weight watchers, which I have been following faithfully.  I also do zumba classes here and there when I have the time.  I can feel that I am getting stronger and able to do the exercises without getting as winded, however I have not lost any weight nor have I noticed any of my clothes fitting any looser.  I am starting to get discouraged and feel that no matter what I do, I will not be able to lose any weight....  I also work full time, go to school full time, have two puppies and am in the middle of planning a wedding, so there is no time for me to add any more workouts at this time.

Can anyone give me any pointers???

Thank you.....
Helpful - 0
Weight training is a key element in weight management.  You need muscle to burn calories and as we get older we lose muscle.  Look for some type of weight training you can do with your condition; a pilates machine may be something to consider.  I have an Aero Pilates machine, a mid-price range one that I found on Craig list used.  You can buy these new on QVC also; go to their website and type in Aero Pilates to watch one of their presentations. I love my pilates machine it really helps my joints and builds lean muscle. Remember your body will plateau with the same exercises all the time. You need to confuse it and change it up every three weeks. It will all work out, keep perserving! :-)
Helpful - 0
Informative post….For starters, stops thinking about dieting. Instead, take a look at those everyday habits that could be causing weight gain.  Going on a diet can create an obsession with food, heighten cravings, and lead to a "throw-in-the-towel-because-diets-don’t-work" mentality. Yet as quickly as calories can add up, they can be subtracted.  Becoming mindful of your diet mistakes -- the subtle ways that calories sneak into your diet throughout the day – can add up to real weight loss. Thanks for sharing.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Exercise & Fitness Community