Sudden weight gain, trouble losing

sjx
I gained about 20 pounds in about 2 months or so on the last birth control pill that I used (I stopped using any hormonal birth control 8 months ago). I have also previously had an abnormal glucose tolerance test (insulin resistance) but very little advice from a doctor about what to do about it. I also was recently tested for PCOS but it was determined that I do not have this. However, I am trying the South Beach Diet because I feel that I have the symptoms of this disorder, and the insulin resistance alone is something that concerns me.

I am 22 years old, slightly under 5'8" tall, and my weight floats around the upper 150's. I understand that my BMI is "healthy" but to jump from ~135 to ~155 in such a short amount of time is not normal. I am also 2 pants sizes larger (4 to an 8), which is inconvenient and so uncomfortable. When I (briefly) tried SBD 2 years ago, I lost 6 pounds in a week, however this was water that I retained due to a prescription. This time around, I'm not losing anything. It has only been a week, and I'm still going strong. Thanksgiving was last week and I mistakenly thought sweet potatoes were part of phase 1 (oops) so I messed up a little bit by having a few bites.

I guess I'm just hoping to be pointed in the right direction. It seems like doctors won't offer me advice beyond ordering tests that come back negative, but I do try to live an active lifestyle, and clearly I'm trying to eat better. Essentially, the only advice that I get is to be happy because I'm "healthy", but jumping from the lower BMI limit to the very upper one is not okay with me, especially because gaining further is SO much easier than losing.

Should I be worried that I haven't lost anything, and is there anything else I should keep in mind (aside from diet & exercise, which I DO). I would really like to fit in my pants! Any advice is appreciated! Also, I am more of a pear shape, always have been, but I've been packing on more weight in the mid section... I don't know if this is because my butt has expanded so much that it has reached the limit, or because of something else. Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I myself am an inch taller then you and am currently 165. I also went off my birth control pills and gained 15lbs. so normally im 150. Iv also been tested for gluten intolerance. I switched over to gluten free bread, which surprisingly is actually good. They make it with the ingredients from the bible (Ezekiel bread). Sense your body did a big switch, you need to help it by keeping it on a regular schedule, and drink water like its coming out of your ears. Keep it up!
Helpful - 0
The Peak 8 routine it will quickly raise your heart rate 8 times for very short bursts, with a cooling down period in between. Ideally you’ll be sprinting or cycling full throttle for 30 seconds with a 90 second cool down in between each outburst. 

This is the fastest way to lose fat and build muscle in the body. Peak 8 actually stimulates the growth hormone in the body. I encourage you to visit Dr Mercola’s site to learn more about Peak 8 fitness because I personally feel that it is one of the best ways to exercise, especially considering the speed at which you can lose fat and build muscle. 

I highly recommend you read this article and watch the videos on the page. It will give you all the information you need to know about Peak 8 – Flood Your Body With This “Youth Hormone” In Just 20 Minutes 

What you eat after Peak 8 training does matter 

It’s recommended that you do not eat sugar or carbohydrate for 2 hours after the Peak 8 exercise because these foods can impact the release of the growth hormone in the body.  The link is below 
http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/11/13/phil-campbell-on-peak-8-exercises.aspx 

Figure your heart rate by this formula 
The Karvonen Formula is a mathematical formula that helps you determine your target heart rate zone. The formula involves using your maximum heart rate (MHR) minus your age to come up with a target heart rate range (which is a percentage of your MHR). Staying within this range will help you work most effectively during your cardio workouts. 

an example of the Karvonen formula for a 23 year old person with a resting heart rate of 65 beats per minute (*to get your resting heart rate, take your pulse for one full minute when you first wake up in the morning or after you've resting for a while). This formula also includes an updated calculation of maximum heart rate (the previous formula was 220 - age, which has now been shown to be inaccurate): 

206.9 - (0.67 x 23 (age)) = 191 
191 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 126 
126 * 65% (low end of heart rate zone) OR 85% (high end) = 82 OR 107 
82 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 147 
107 + 65 (rhr) = 172 
The target heart rate zone for this person would be 147 to 172 

First thing in the morning before you get out of bed have a clock with a second hand and check your resting heart rate then figure your rate by the 
Karvonen Formula above.

You burn 30 percent more fat from doing cardio after a weights session as opposed to cardio on its own.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Exercise & Fitness Community