getting started

I am currently 180 lbs and my first goal is to reach 150. I want to hit this goal in 3 months and would love some ideas on how to get started. I have a daily workout plan I found online and plan doing daily cardio on top of that but I really need to drop this weight... its time. Anyone know a good diet plan. It looks like I should be on a 1200 diet. I smoke so running is very hard for me.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I think 30 pounds in 3 months is actually doable. Keeping weight off has more to do with whether or not you choose a healthy lifestyle versus just dieting to lose quickly.

As long as you eat healthy, fresh whole foods, youll do well as far as diet. Keep it colorful, fill half your plate with veggies at each meal, have fruit for snacks, remember your whole grains, stuff like that.

For exercise, HIIT is great. You get the same benefits in less time and it helps burn calories long after you've finished working out. If you don't want as high of an intensity, i love Turbo Jam, Zumba and TurboFire. Let me know if you have questions! You can follow me on Facebook at http://************/kralexander9. Thanks for reading!  
Helpful - 0

Hi Stacey,

You say you want to lose 30 lbs in 3 months. That's a lot of weight within
a relatively short amount of time. It's actually better to lose the weight
slowly to keep it off. Two lbs per week means you can lose up to 8 Lbs
per month. It's also advisable to let your doctor know your plan to
lose weight and get her or his advice. Your family doctor knows your
medical history and they are in a better position to advise you on how
to lose the weight safely. You should be monitored by a medical doctor
when you're planning to lose up to 30 lbs. I think 30 lbs in 3 months is
putting too much stress on your body. As I mentioned, for permanent
weight loss, it's better to lose the weight slowly, so 30 lbs in 3 months
is not only unsafe but it's not realistic. Losing weight too quickly and
depriving your body of too few calories is not healthy. Good luck. Eve
Helpful - 0
10lbs a month seems doable, but with any diet there are plateaus that you will hit that will slow weight loss.  A lot of professionals claim that it is healthy to lose 8 lbs a month.  With that said, I would choose the healthiest food I could and par particular attention to portion size.  As well, drink a lot of cold water through the day and particularly before a meal.  As for running, some people can run and some can't.  Start with walking a comfortable distance where you have to kind of try to finish.  (I don't know your fitness level right now... maybe you can only walk 1/2 of a mile.)  After a week of consistantly walking the 1/2 mile, increase the distance to 3/4 mile and pick up your pace.  Any extra exercise you can get will be beneficial as well.

Something else to think of that is pretty important is, as you exercise, you will be building muscle.  Muscle is smaller than fat, so as you might not seem to be "losing weight" you might very well be becoming smaller.  Measure your chest, waist, hips, arms, legs and recheck them aabout once a week before hopping on the scale.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Exercise & Fitness Community