Exotic Pets Community
124 Members

Betta fish with possible Dropsy

I'm not sure if this forum takes fish questions but I have a Betta fish that I think has Dropsy. His belly is extremely swollen, like a little balloon and seems almost transparent and pale in his belly. His overall color looks slightly dull. He's been eating ok but staying at the bottom of the tank a lot. I moved him to a smaller tank and have been changing the water every day since I discovered him like this Sunday and have been trying Epsom salt baths with 1/2 tsp per gallon for about 20 minutes a day. This is advice I found online but the amount of Epsom salt seems to be varied from person to person. I was thinking of increasing it tomorrow to 1 tsp or maybe more?  I haven't seen any swelling go down yet but he's swimming and acting hungry. The lady at the pet store recommended I have him fast for a few days so I didn't feed him yesterday or today. She said after a couple of days I could try a piece of frozen pea with the skin off in case he's constipated. Is there anything else I can try to do to save him? We've only had him 11 months. Everything I've seen online said this is almost always fatal but I want to try to save him if I can. I don't know what else I can do. Should I try antibiotics? I feel bad and don't want him to suffer and would like to try my best to save him if I can and at least make him more comfortable. That swollen belly looks awful. :-(  If anyone is experienced with Bettas and can help I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.