Blew my nose, discomfort on the inside of my eye now

I blew my nose this morning and felt/heard a little pop when i was doing it.  The inside of my right eye feels different now, a little achy, and i know something isnt right.  I tried to equalize (Scuba diving technique) and it looked like air was comming out of my eye, my skin lifted up a little bit in front of my eye on my nose.  I have never heard of this before, any advice would be great. thanks
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
no big deal.  you blew air out of your canaliculus.  totally benign.

i am always surprised that most people dont know this, but they dont.  everyone has a little passageway or "tube" if you will that leads from the inside of your eyelid to the inside of your nose.  4 tubes to be precise, 2 in each eye.  ever wondered why you get a runny nose when you cry?  its b/c tears literally drain from your eyelid directly into your nose.

and the everse is also true...if you blow your nose hard enough, you'll blow air out of that same tube into your eye.  no big deal.  again, totally benign.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.