Eye Care Archive Forum

Crystalens vs. Restor Lens IOL implants

Hi All:
I am an optometric intern currently finishing my external rotations and I have been observing several cataract extractions using current techniques.  One of my parents is goig to need cataract surgery sometime in the near future and I was wondering which of the two multifocal implants has been met with the greatest patient satisfaction.  I have personally seen the Restor lens implanted but have not yet seen the results from these patients at followup.  I have not seen the Crystalens implanted not have I heard any patient testimonials.  I was wondering if anybody has personally seen and/or managed both of these types of implants.  Thanks.
EyeDoc007
I have read the vision newsgroup where it is said that none of the multifocal IOLs work well.
See my 9/27/05 posting; first implant was a bifocal lens -vision was never good and had complications; this lens was removed and regular lens was used, had problem with the "leg" not being inserted.
I've just been thru this with my dad and his cataract surgery.  I used the FDA website to compare labels for both the Restor and the crystalens.  My dad and I selected crystalens and are extremely happy with the outcome.  Issues we considered, Restor carried a warning label for night driving and crystalens did not.  The bifocal optics of the Restor were also a concern for my dad who had struggled with the bifocals in his spectacles.  My dad rarely uses glasses now.  I think the surgeon you choose plays a tremendous role in your success regardless of what lens you choose.  Make sure you find someone with experience
RECENTLY HAD RESTOR IMPLANTS WITH NOT GOOD RESULTS.  MUST READ WITH GLASSES AND REQUIRE MAGNIFYING GLASS TO DISTINGUISH NUMBERS. MID-RANGE IS BETTER BUT I HAVE CONSIDERABLE GHOSTING AND ROAD SIGNS ARE NOT SHARP AND THERE IS CONSIDERABLE GLARING.  I MUST HAVE FOLLOW-UP LASIK.  SPECIAL CARD IS REQUIRED FOR MAPPING EYE BEFORE LASIK AS THERE IS TOO MUCH REFLECTION FROM LENS.  I DO NOT KNOW WHY IMPLANTS ARE A PROBLEM.  MY EXPECTATIONS WERE NORMAL - I WAS QUITE ACCEPTING THAT I MIGHT HAVE TO USE READING GLASSES AFTERWARDS.  MY INSTINCT IS THAT CALCULATIONS WERE OFF.  YOU SHOULD BE AWARE BEFORE SURGERY THAT THERE MAY HAVE TO BE FOLLOW-UP PROCEDURES.   I AM TREPIDACIOUS ABOUT LASIK - THIS IS SUCH A NEW LENS.  IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS HAD LASIK AFTER RESTOR IMPLANTS, AND WHAT WERE RESULTS?
Dear RosiePosie,  Can you try contact lens before you have more surgery?  The contacts would give you an idea of what your vision will be after lasik surgery, that way you can make an informed decision on whether the lasik will be a good decision.

JO
Rosieposie:  Both my wife and I had Restor implants done on Nov 9 and Nov 16 respectively.  Results sound similar to yours - - we are extremely unhappy.  We both need reading glasses to read newspaper, although I can read most anything else if it's black on white. Both of us have have distance vision problems.  Objects are not clear. In my case, particularly in left eye  - - right eye is much better.  Has your vision improved?  Have you had lasik surgery, as yet?  Any suggestions?  Stonewall
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.