Eye Care Community

6th optic nerve tumor

Feb 2010 I slipped on wet floor & bumped onto the wall making my wrist & ankle painful. My eye muscle got stress like pulling to nose & felt very painful which I had not experienced before.Found seriously diplopia less than 24 hours & my right eyeball went inside to the nose side & couldn't turn out. CT Scan & MRI in March & Aug, however doctors from Hospital & also Eye Hospital couldn't find out any problems & they just thought I had a stroke, diabetes or others... It was not diagnosed until 9 months later when doctors of the third Hospital found the 1 cm eye nerve tumor & then also found the tumor from the 1st & 2nd MRI films. I got a brain surgery in Feb 2011, a Radiosurgery in Oct  & an eye surgery just last week. I had no double vision seeing only straight forward now but both of my eyes can't move to each side & still have double vision if I see to each side ... I had no symptoms, headache or dizziness before I bumped onto the wall. The curing process & dizziness for these 2 & a half years was painful & just want to ask if the bumping action had caused great strain on my neck & eye nerve & thus got hurt causing an inflammation or blood clot or sth else & ending up a generally so-called meningioma ? Any similar case before for reference ? Thanks a lot !
This must have been a terrible ordeal for you. Your fall and any type of trauma would not cause a menegioma.

JCH MD
Thanks for your reply. Then I would like to know why my eye muscle got stress & felt really painful just after my bumping ... & also why I got diplopia less than 24 hours after the fall ... :><:
These are the only generalization I can make: "Bumps" are trauma and can cause pain. A relatively mild bump if done over a nerve can cause inordinate pain.  Double vision following trauma can be due damage to the eye socket of facial bones, concusion of the brain,  damage (but not a tumor) to one of the cranial nerves that work the eye muscles (3,4,6)

The problems immediately after your trauma are completely different than the menegioma that developed much later

JCH MD
Thanks Dr for your explanation. However it's not a mild bump as I twisted my ankle & my wrist. I think the concusion of the brain has immediate effect & thus I have diplopia within 24 hours. Am I right ?
There's something already on the 6th nerve in March my 1st MRI only that the doctors couldn't find at that time, even the August MRI ... It's only until the Oct MRI by handled the 3rd Hospital doctors that they then looked back to my 1st & 2nd MRI & found that really in March sth very small (tumor ?) is there.
Can I say that my slip & the trauma is the cause of my decease : diplopia &  ...blood clot or inflamation turning into meningioma ?
NO

JCH MD
I don't want to be unkind, ritalee, but it almost sounds as though you are thinking about a lawsuit or something along those lines.

Maybe it would help if you read something about how fast meningiomas grow.  Here is an article discussing this:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Radiation_Oncology/CNS/Meningioma

If you read it, you will see that meningiomas tend to grow so very slowly that yours could never have been related to your fall.
Dear all, Just want to know the cause of my diplopia happened on the 2nd day of my fall otherwise I have asked the question 2 & a half years ago, & neglecting what the optic doctors told me that I might have a stroke or others which were all proved wrong judgement later.
-