Eye Care Community

9 year old with white pupils in flash photo

My son will be 9 years old this weekend.  I have been playing around with new photo editing software that has face recognition.  It picks his face from all of my pictures, so I can see his face in close up in group photos.  I was enjoying looking at how much he has grown and changed, until I notice a few photos from the past year where his pupils are white.  I uploaded some of these photos on my profile.  
His pediatrician was out of the office today and we leave Sunday for a short vacation.  It is going to be a long weekend!  He has always had regular well checks and even was evaluated by a ped ophthalmologist about about 4 years ago, just a check as his younger brother has a complex medical history.  This includes nystagmus, estropia, stretched optic nerves...
Is it possible that this is something new?  Gone undetected all this time?  Hopefully nothing important at all.
Other photos are posted under my profile.
Gina
Causes of white relex that are serious such as retinoblastoma, congenital cataract, PHPV, retinal coloboma, etc would have been rather easy to diagnose by the pediatric ophthalmologist. There is some posiblity that these could have developed since the exam 4 years ago. The odds are much more that it is an optical reflex from a normal eye. Try and enjoy the vacation and put it out of your mind. (hard to do I know). When you return make an appointment with the pediatric Eye MD. If you mention your concern you can probably get in relatively soon.

JCH MD