A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
22.1k Members

Aphakia and silicon oil and cataracts

Hi

I've had a few operations because of a detached retina. I'm currently aphakic due to cataract removal.
I then developed another in the posterior lens capsule according to my surgeon. I also have silicon oil in
my eye because of the retina detachment. I'm having surgery to remove the cataract and oil, as well as implant
a lens on May 13th.

My vision is poor, I can't see things in detail. I can make out everyday things like my computer and things on my desk. I can see people and their bodys but can't see their eyes or anything. I also cant focus my eye, nor can I see
when my good eye is open. With the oil and cataract removed, and lens implanted can I hope to see things in detail??
1 Responses
233488 tn?1310693103
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I'm assuming that you are talking about the "bad" eye that has had all the surgery.  Frankly only time will tell. A great deal will depend on how healthy your macula is since that is wear all "detail" comes from. If the macula was pulled off by the RD or if it has a membrane on it "macular pucker" or has a macular hole or swelling (macular edema) they they eye will not make a full recovery. You might discuss your macular status and prognosis with your retina surgeon. Above all protect your "good eye" from disease and injury.

JCH MD
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511755244
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.