Eye Care Community

Aphakia and silicon oil and cataracts

I've had a few operations because of a detached retina. I'm currently aphakic due to cataract removal.
I then developed another in the posterior lens capsule according to my surgeon. I also have silicon oil in
my eye because of the retina detachment. I'm having surgery to remove the cataract and oil, as well as implant
a lens on May 13th.

My vision is poor, I can't see things in detail. I can make out everyday things like my computer and things on my desk. I can see people and their bodys but can't see their eyes or anything. I also cant focus my eye, nor can I see
when my good eye is open. With the oil and cataract removed, and lens implanted can I hope to see things in detail??
I'm assuming that you are talking about the "bad" eye that has had all the surgery.  Frankly only time will tell. A great deal will depend on how healthy your macula is since that is wear all "detail" comes from. If the macula was pulled off by the RD or if it has a membrane on it "macular pucker" or has a macular hole or swelling (macular edema) they they eye will not make a full recovery. You might discuss your macular status and prognosis with your retina surgeon. Above all protect your "good eye" from disease and injury.

JCH MD