Aa
A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
21.9k Members

Can Nevus of ota inside the eye be treated similar to brown spots inside the white part of the eye?

I have an eye condition called blue sclera/nevus of ota since birth (There are too many names for it). My left eye condition is exactly the same as this image:

http://akimichi.homeunix.net/~emile/aki/html/medical/Image/blue-sclera-1.jpeg

My eyes are actually quite healthy and I have 20/20 vision. I don’t have any of the following symptoms
• Pseudoxanthoma elasticum  
• Osteogenesis imperfecta
• Ehlers-danlos syndrome
• Marfan's syndrome

I was wondering can nevus of ota inside the eye be treated similar to brown spot inside the eye eg: under some sort of eye surgery to regain the white part of the eye again, if so how much do they normally cost?  

89 Responses
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I am not aware of anything that can be done to improve the cosmetic appearance of your eye. You might want to make an appointment at the a University Medical School departmentn of ophthalmology.

JCH MD
After a few hours of googling, I actually found this Korean journal article:

ftp://210.101.116.16/kiss6/14808455.pdf

that can improve the cosmetic appearance of my eye see page 2 for more details (I cant read Korean but the image actually looks promising though and there are some English descriptions in pg 4). Should I email them to see how this procedure is being done?
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I could not open that link. If you are still interested in researching this sure e mail them.

JCH MD
Try this link:

http://210.101.116.107/kos/JournalSearch_index.asp?year=2006&page=996&vol=47&iss=6

and click on the acrobat reader icon.

Since I dont live in America, I cant really past this journal article to the University Medical School department of ophthalmology but do you think is worthwhile to send this article to them so they can do further studies on it and hopefully this type of surgery can be available world wide? If so do you have an email address which I can use to contact them?
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
That works. Looks like just what you're looking for. There is a fax # and an e mail address on that page.

JCH MD
After reading that little paragraph, it kinda kept me wondering.... what exactly is scleral painting (does that mean they will paint the sclera white??)  and scleral allograft transplantation??
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.