Aa
A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
22.2k Members

Can Ophthalmic Prednisolone Acetate EYE DROPS CAUSE VERY STUFFY NOSE?

I recently finished my cataract surgery (had first eye done in early December 2015 and 2nd eye done about a week ago). One of the eye drops I was prescribed to take by my eye doctor is Ophthalmic Prednisolone Acetate eye drops. I am to take this quite frequently for 6 weeks. I took it for 6 weeks for my right eye and started taking it about a week ago for my left eye. I am also taking other eye drops. Since taking these I seem to have developed a VERY stuffy nose and currently can essentially not breathe out of it.

I did some searching on the internet and found this:

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/rxlist_view_comments.asp?drug=pred%20forte&questionid=fdb8564_pem

"Pred Forte User Reviews"
"I just recently had Lasik done. This medication gave me a stuffy nose. Everytime I use it I cant breath out of my nose. I had to purchase nasal decongestion spray! I have to use the spray everytime I put the drops in my eyes. "

Note, Pred Forte is another name for Ophthalmic Prednisolone Acetate

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pred+Forte&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I know this is just a comment but can my stuffy nose problem be caused by this. I am looking for an expert's opinion. Thanks.
1 Responses
177275 tn?1511755244
Not common, not likely. Steroids are commonly used by nasal spray for very stuffy noses due to allergies. E.G. Flonase. There are preservatives in PF. If you're really concerned your surgeon can use a different steroid but they will be much more expensive.   JCHMD
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511755244
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.