Can You Go Blind Just Like That?

Hi, this is maybe a silly question but bare with me as I have little knowledge of how the Eyes work.

So, I was wondering; can you go blind just like that? Without anything happening, can your eyes just stop working?

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Something always causes the eye to go blind. And there is a difference between bad vision, legal blindness and total blindness. Most of the things that cause sudden legal and total blindness occure due to diseases that are common in aging.

A partial list of such problems: central retinal artery occlusion, central retinal vein occlussion, angle closure glaucoma, arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy, severe bilateral eye trauma, hereditary optic nueropathy, retinitis pigmentosa (severe) etc.

The best way to prevent this is an annual examination with an eye physician and surgeon (Ophthalmologist = Eye MD) and eye protection for activities with high chance of eye injury.

JCH MD Eye Physician and Surgeon
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Forum

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.