Can anyone say anything positive about Lentis M-Plus?
I had these lenses implanted a few weeks ago, instead of the Crystalens ones I really wanted.  I am trying to get used to them, but the 'ghosting' effect is trying me around the bend, most especially when I drive in darkness.  I really can't see how my brain will manage to remove the skirts of fuzzy light around the base of headlights, etc.;  there has been no improvement at all since I had the surgery done.

In addition, reading is very hard indeed.  At various times of the day,I have to use differing strengths of reading glasses, starting at +1.00D.  My consultant told me me that I wouldn't be able to read with the Crystalenst, but the same infuriating problem is happening with the Lentis M-Plus!

Has anyone else had (or is having) these symptoms, please?  Could anyone also offer any advice, please?

P.S. - I should add that, after complaining at a recent check up, I am going back for PRK laser surgery in a few weeks' time on my right eye only, because the incision made in that eye to correct my astigmatism has healed itself up and I've got it back once more (to a slightly lesser degree).  The distance vision in my right eye is also not as good as the left, so I hope the laser treatment will help that.  However, I am experiencing the 'ghosting' problem in both eyes and don't know if the surgery help with that;  I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it will!

There are a few papers on the internet describing the results of trials on the MPlus lens implants. I read these before choosing these lenses and because all the papers had very positive results for all patients I chose the MPLus lens. In all the trials, every patient said that they did not experience any ghost images.
This seems to contradict the comments in this forum which are mostly concerned with the poor sight that people have due to ghost images.
If I cover the lower part of my eye with my finger, so obscuring the near distance part of the lens, I have excellent vision. This is very annoying to realise that the near vision part of the lens is producing the ghost images and degrading my sight so much.
I will work on trying to improve this by changing focus from near to far objects.
I wonder if anyone has experienced any improvement using the Gabor Patch images?
Dear Brinuk,

Unfortunately, the ghosting and shadowing under lights has not gone away in the 18 months since I had the MPlus lenses.  I therefore decided to start with getting one of them exchanged for an ordinary Alcan single-vision IOL, and had the MPlus removed three weeks ago.  So far, I am still experiencing the above effects in that eye, but the doctor told me that they will subside over the weeks to come.  I certainly hope so!  However, I made the awful mistake of choosing my best eye to be done first, because I now discover that - so far - I can't see so well in the distance as I could with the MPlus, even though I had the ghosting/shadowing problems.  I certainly hope I get that good distance vision back in the weeks to come!  I noticed from the card I was given that the 'power' is lower than the MPlus by one dioptre (now +10;  formerly +11), but I've been reassured that that's because all manufacturers differ in the way they work out the out the dioptre for various types of IOLs.  I hope, over time, it gives me the good distance vision I had with the MPlus, otherwise I'll find it extremely hard to live with myself!  I think I chose this eye first because I could not read with it easily like I could the left.  My left eye was the other way around, i.e. distance and intermediate vision wasn't very good, but reading was better.

I will get the left eye dealt with in the next few months (I was told I'll have to leave it three months).

I very much regret going along with what the doctor recommended and having the MPlus lenses.  I could have saved myself a lot of money by choosing ordinary single-vision IOLs.  A few months ago, I spoke to another doctor who had just started using the MPlus (he previously only inserted Crystalens, which was what I originally wanted), and he said he had had a lot of success with the MPlus, so obviously a lot of people experience none of the problems we've experienced.  I therefore assume people like you and I are just plain unlucky!  I should add that I also see halos and glare, but these don't bother me;  it's just the big shadows which show up under lights, lit-up numbers and writing (i.e. bus numbers and destinations), and this I find totally irritating and disorientating.

I hope, in time, that the ghosting you are experiencing will diminish and that you will not have to resort to what I've had to do!

With kind regards,

Lynda.
Dear Lynda,

Thank you for the reply.
I hope that your new lens proves to be a success.
Was the operation to remove the MPlus and insert the new lens as simple as the orignal caterac replacement?
Was this done free of charge by your original surgeon or was it undertaken by the NHS free of charge?
Did the original surgeon give any explanation as to why the MPlus lens has not proved suitable.?

Regards BrinUK
Dear Brin,

Thank you for your latest message.  In answer to your questions:

1.  No, it wasn't as simple.  I've seen YouTube videos of the procedure, so I knew it would take longer and might not always be successful.  The problem is (as the surgeon told me) that the capsular bag shrink-wraps itself around the new lens, so when it comes to take it out (it is cut almost in half to get out easier), the bag has to be carefully separated from the lens.  Mr doctor had three different power lenses to hand because he didn't know where the replacement lens would be placed until he 'opened me up'.  The next day, he told me that the procedure went well and that he was able to place he new lens back into the bag.  However, I've noticed that I can see it when I go to put drops in that eye, which seems odd because I thought it would be further back.  I did not see the previous lens after it was done the first time around.  Also, it feels like the lens is 'sticking' to something when I wake up in the morning, and sometimes I get a bit of pain from it;

2.  I didn't have to pay for the operation because the surgeon knew I wasn't happy with my vision, almost from the beginning.  He said there had only been a handful of cases in the past where he had to re-do the procedure, and I assume those people also didn't have to pay;

3.  No, the surgeon did not give any explanation as to why the MPlus lenses have proved unsuitable.  When I complained, I don't think he really understood or believed what I said because he told me that he had had many successful outcomes with other patients.  However, he did eventually admit that one person was experiencing shadows on the top part of lights, as opposed to the bottom like me.  I should add that whilst I was recovering in the Recovery Area of the clinic, I was chatting to patients there and asking them what they had just had done.  All three had had cataract surgery, but DIDN'T have the MPlus;  they had FineVision IOLs (which I'd never heard of before).  It seemed odd to me that all these people weren't fitted with the 'wonderful' MPlus!

It is now four weeks since surgery and my eye is no better.  I'm going back to see the doctor on the 22nd, so I'll keep you posted as to my progress.  As I said before, I am finding it very hard to live with myself after choosing the right eye, as opposed to the left, for this replacement surgery.  I just wish I could see in the distance as I could before!

With kind regards,

Lynda.
Dear Lynda,

Thank you for the information it is very helpful.
I hope that you get better results with the new lens than you have had with the MPlus ones and that your surgeon can offer some positive indication of future improvement.
I would be very interested in hearing the results of your consultation of the 22nd.
It seems that with the MPlus lens the quality of image is there, but it is "over written" with a ghost image from the "reading" part of the lens. I don't know if this is due to misplacement of the lens or unusual curvature of the eye.

With kind regards

Brin
Hi Lynda

Im in the same position as you, i have 2 lentis mplus , implanted back in september, for presbyopia, i have glare halos all the symptoms you have, low light blur and so on , im seeking to have them explanted too as i also cant get on with them, i hope your symptoms improve, good luck on the 22nd i will follow your progress
Have you explored whether you can have the lens replaced with mono-focals or is this a one way trip. I have had the first eye done however so far - 5 weeks in it has been a distaster with all the side effects you mention. I am reluctant to allow the second eye to be done until the first is fixed.
I would be reluctant to have the second eye done until you have the first eye corrected. One of the earlier posts has had the lens replaced but I understand from her post that it is not as simple has having them inserted in the first place.
Are you Ok Lynda ? , did your surgeon discuss with you the type of monofocal to implant , and the power ie distance or intermediate ?, it doesnt sound like it if he had 3 to choose from to implant, would have thought this would be discussed and the various outcomes made clear to you before going ahead, I hope your eye is healing , when are you having the 2nd eye done?
I was recently diagnosed with cataracts and was offered these Lentis lenses, but after reading these posts (yikes!), I'm pretty sure I'll just go with the standard monofocal lenses. As Harehound pointed out, it's the patients who don't like the new IOLs who are posting here. Presumably, most of those who are satisfied simply go on with their lives and never look back. But I can too easily imagine myself struggling with the side effects discussed here.

I do have a couple of questions, though -- which I'll also discuss with my doctor on August 8 but I like to gather advice from more than one source...

1. Once I get monofocal IOLs in place, is my vision likely to become stable? Or will the presbyopia continue to get worse until later in my life? I'm only 49 years old, and the reason I ask is that glasses with good progressive lenses are outrageously expensive here in Sweden. In the past year alone I've had to change my prescription three times, and I can't continue to pay for this.

2. Am I likely to get dry eyes or other side effects from monofocal IOLs?

3. Since my cataracts are still mild, should I put off having the surgery as long as possible? I understand that cataracts can't improve but only get worse, but do they *always* get worse? I could live with my vision the way it is (although, as I said, it seems to be deteriorating quickly) and after reading this and other forums, it seems prudent to put off surgery as long as possible. We are, after all, replacing a tiny but vital part of our body with a piece of plastic.

This feels like a major decision. Until I started developing cataracts, I enjoyed crystal-clear (corrected) vision, and I want to maintain that as far as possible. I realize I'm somewhat off topic here, but any thoughts or advice from anyone on this forum would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and I am hoping for the best for those of you who are have had problems with your multifocal IOLs. /Eileen
re: "All three had had cataract surgery, but DIDN'T have the MPlus;  they had FineVision IOLs (which I'd never heard of before).  It seemed odd to me that all these people weren't fitted with the 'wonderful' MPlus! "

That is easy to explain, the FineVision is a newer lens, a trifocal which helps with intermediate vision and is intended to cut back on the likelihood of negative side effects that you and others experience (but no lens is guaranteed to avoid them).  I'm  considering risking a multifocal and using one of the new trifocals.   Unfortunately I'm in the US and they aren't approved here yet, so I need  to find a doc in the UK or elsewhere to do it (I'm unsure yet if Canada or Mexico have them).

re: "1. Once I get monofocal IOLs in place, is my vision likely to become stable? Or will the presbyopia continue to get worse until later in my life? "

Presbyopia is the reduction in ability of the lens to change shape to accommodate (change focus) to see near, and  since you are replacing the lens there won't be  change afterwards. The problem is that with a monofocal its as if your presbyopia were now the same as someone  decades older than 49 since you  lose most of the ability to accommodate. Apparently there is some "psuedo-accomodation" for a very minor bit of adjustment with monofocals, and some  monofocal lenses like the Nanoflex apparently do much better than others and may provide  somewhat usable intermediate vision, almost as much as   the Cystalens (which is a monofocal lens which can flex to provide limited accommodation.. but   still far less than at 49, and sometimes it isn't much better than a monofocal ).

If your vision is still good enough, if you've never done it I'd suggest trying contact lenses in monovision or multifocal contacts to see how well those approaches work for you. In my case multifocal contacts work well so I'm considering risking a multifocal implant (even though I know the optics aren't quite the same, and there is a chance I could wind up with side effects).

re: "I understand that cataracts can't improve but only get worse, but do they *always* get worse? I could live with my vision the way it is (although, as I said, it seems to be deteriorating quickly)"

Yes, they always get worse, so you will need the surgery eventually. How fast they get worse is unpredictable.

I am the same age as you and dealing with a cataract that got suddenly appeared and got bad within a few months. If I were just going to use a monofocal I'd just go and get the surgery over with right away to improve vision and not have to worry about it.   In my case I'd just prefer another option so its taking time to sort it out since I need to travel outside the US since the newest lenses aren't approved here (frustrating since they are often developed by US companies).

re: "3. Since my cataracts are still mild, should I put off having the surgery as long as possible? "

I'm suspecting you can't wait long enough, but the longer you wait the more likely a newer lens will come out that is better. That seems to me the only reason to wait.   One of my eyes only has the start of a cataract which isn't effecting vision at all so I may wait on that eye to use a better lens.

The Synchrony accommodating lens (available many places outside  the US, I don't know about Sweden) seems to provide far better accommodation than the Crystalens  with a greater likelihood of usable near vision and a lower risk of PCO. Unfortunately its only available now in a limited range of powers, in my case it won't cover my high myopia, and there maybe some other risks and   tradeoffs (e.g. there may be extra myopia for a few months while the eye heals). There are some lenses in the research phase that provide accommodation closer to what we have in our 30s which might be available  in a few years.

Newer multifocals have a lower risk of the side effects being mentioned on these forums and   new ones seem to be coming out every year. Some surgeons prefer to do both eyes, but there are studies showing better outcomes from using different lenses in each eye.
Hi just feel i have to post again , i started off by hating these lenses and my decision after undergoing a double implant, i think i have been slow to adapt, now after 10 months i can say i am happy with them, i now have excellent reading ability and mid and distance vision is superb and i am completely glasses independent

I have the " shadow " or faint double outline around bright or white objects in my left eye Lydia describes, this drove me nuts for a long time, by brain has learned now to ignore it and to a great extent has tuned it out completely and concentrates on the image itself, its still there but i have to be looking for it,
I have mild halos in some conditions, and some glare and star bursting form lights at night but this is now normal to me and not bothersome, if i were to put the negative effects into a percentage , ie how much i notice them now on a daily basis i would say its probably less than 1% of the time, i doubt if its any more than if i had had my eyes lasered

The key is to understand its a trade off , my fault was to concentrate more on the cons and worry about the effects ,adapting to multifocals can be a shock at first and you are left with what seems to be greatly degraded vision at first, and you dont know how much , if at all it will improve over time luckily i didn't have the reading problems that Lydia seems to have had
I made it my business to find out more on these lenses and it seems there is an acknowledged problem with the Mplus, but mostly with the +3 lens, this is the one that gives you better reading ability but in some cases will cause the shadowing or ghosting effect i have beyond around 5 meters,
With the 1.5 lens this effect is greatly diminished, but your reading ability is reduced.
I have this from the horses mouth so to speak and the clinic i was done in ( a national chain with large clinics all over the country ) no longer uses the +3 , i thank my surgeon for being open and honest about this and encouraging me to stick with multifocals.
I have the plus 3 , but im happy to live with it now , as it gives me great close up reading ability, and thats worth the trade off , the technology is changing and Topcom who manufacture the Mplus is shortly introducing a multifocal that will fit in front of the capsular bag, making a replacement a simple procedure so they say,  it looks like they are trying to capture a replacement IOL market, potentially a large one and when the time comes i may go for that in my left eye but not for a while to come.

It can be a rough ride having multifocal implants for others its alot easier, and you cant try them out !  i have been to hell and back with them since last September but but now i think it was money well spent, stick with it you will get there in the end
A belated thank you to RealityEngineer for your valuable information and advice. A few weeks have passed and I’ve done a lot more research. I also went and talked to my optometrist, who although not an eye doctor has known me and my vision for many years. Turns out I’ve already progressed quite far in my presbyopia, despite my age, so I will not be dismayed any sudden loss of accommodation if I get monofocal IOLs – which is what I’m leaning towards. I am a perfectionist and perhaps (hate to say it) difficult to please, so for me the wisest choice would seem to the tried-and-true monofocal lenses, aiming to get my nearsightedness down to about -2.0 so that I can read without glasses, and then get new progressive spectacles – I’ve had those for years anyway. I see my doctor again on August 8 so will make a final decision after that.

Rockspider, that’s great to hear that you’ve adjusted to your multifocal lenses in the end. From what I’ve read it seems like there can be quite a long adjustment period, and you’ve gotten through it and come out the other side. If I had those lenses and was having trouble adjusting, I’d be very encouraged by what you posted.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you wrote that the key is to understand the tradeoff. My optometrist said that the multifocal lenses can be terrific for people who are happy if their vision is “good enough” in exchange for not having to deal with glasses or contact lenses anymore. People have different priorities and different expectations for their vision – and also different capacities to adapt to the lenses. It is important (it seems) not to expect too much and to give yourself time to adjust.
I had Lentis M Plus multifocal lenses inserted 4 and 6 weeks ago respectively, after being diagnosed with cataracts. My day time vision is amazingly good at all distances, however as soon as the light level drops, eg indoors, my distance vision beyond around 2 metres becomes blurred - night time driving is impossible. I also experience glares, halos and starbursts, but I was expecting these - not the blurred vision. A week ago I posted how good these lenses are, but the low-light blurring problem did not seem so bad then - now I find driving is simply to risky for me to contemplate - I spoke too soon.....It's ironic that my night vision in the rear view mirror of my car is perfect at night, but forward vision is extremely blurred - it's a shame I can't reverse everywhere!

I assume it is a function of my pupils dilating and thus destroying my depth of field. I have two questions:

1. Is this a function of the healing process, and Icould I expect my pupils to adjust over time?

2. If it is not going to heal over time, is it possible that these lenses are too small for my eyes and will need to be explanted?

My present situation is desperate because I am virtually housebound in the evening as I need a car to go out - there is no public transport where I live and taxis are costing me a fortune.

Thank you, and advice would be gratefully received.

Roy
How is your sight now. I was looking at the lentils M plus also?i need some sort of multi focal lenses and don't want any glasses after surgery. Your opinion would be appreciated. I am in australia

Mm
I have done alot of research prior to my MPLUS.  I went to the 'best' surgeon I could find in Manchester.  His name has been mentioned above.  I developed ghosting after 24 hours of my firt surgery, so he convinced me that only with both done can i get rid of ghosting.  Its now almots 9 mnths and I hate them.  theyhave ruined my life.  The best surgeon....refuses to answer my calls.  Its a con.
Has anyone experienced the flickering effect?
I am only 4 days post surgery first eye and due to have the second Lentis M Plus multifocal fitted this coming thursday.
I have good vision near,far and middle distance with the new lens. Very little or no halo or ghosting. Just the flickering in the corner of my eye when under fluorescent light or by a window.
Is this one of the dreaded symptoms that may never go away.?
Hi, I experienced the same flickering effect that you described for about 10 days after my surgery - but I got single-vision IOLs, not Lentis. So, though I'm no expert, I would guess that the flickering is not from the Lentis lens itself but from the surgery or something. In my case it went away after 10 days or so. I hope it turns out to be the same for you. Good luck!
Hello Lynda

Have gone on this forum to read what others say about RLE MPLUS MULTIFOCAL LENS

i had my non dominant eye done on the 31st oct and my dominant eye done a week later on the 7th Nov 2012  had the one day eye checks on both eyes and the 7 days on the first eye.

but not what i epected so far with quality of vision.

i used to wear glasses for reading and distance.

so yes i can read and type this, but its not totally clear.  so in my mind could cuase eye strain.

distance - well that is more blury that i thought and dont know if it will go.  what do others feel about these lenses?  how is their distance and near vision?  does it get better in say 2, 3 or more weeks?

if you are still left blurry what can be done?  
if something can be done like laser then do you chance losing say the reading vision for gaining better clearer distance vision?

do they ever replace the lens? i bet they dont like to

in the literature it sounded good, good distance and good near with these MPLUS MULTIFOCAL LENS and i thought dont be silly it will be like that for me.

so does it improve with time less blur or what

good to share expereicnes

thank you
I still have some flickering.
My vision for both long distance and very small print is extremely good.
I still have a little blurring in my mid intermediate vision. ( Walking through the office things take a few seconds to become clear) but I am told that this will improve in time.
Night time driving. I do have the glare haloes etc but I don't take any notice of it. Apparently this tricks the brain and you will get used to it.
This procedure works for me . :)
I have excellent vision 1 year on post mplus, near and particularly distance but it took 2-3 months to really come good for distance. After the first eye was done my distance vision was very disappointing but just got progressively clearer. Now I couldn't be more delighted so don't lose heart like I did, wait and see, often it does take a little time. And yes, I was told you can get a laser top up without losing near vision, if it comes to that.
Hello Esmie 300
I have had just had an eye check again, at an optician here on the Isle of Man where I live, the company that did the operation are not over here, there are no companies over here that do laser or RLE, so the company uses an optician over here for its check ups.

so been there today and my vision is the same as last week, so not improved at all.

I have good near vision, but distance is a strain to drive and watch tv, and you end up with very tired eyes and you feel tired.

so first eye done on the 31 oct and second eye on the 7 Nov.   2 weeks and 3 weeks since ops for Mplus multifocal lenses.

i am getting very worried that i wont get clear distance vision that i will permanent have to strain to see. the optician today said that i may have to be topped up with glasses, but leave until she sees me again on the 7 Dec.

Getting worried.

how long until you had good near and distance vision? or did you get good near and distance vision very quickly and has it remained so?  is it the Mplus Lentis lens?

plus i have very dry eyes now, had dry eyes before but very dry now, so using lots of eye drops.

thank you for any reply back.
Hello Welldog4

Was it the Lentis Mplus multifocal lenses in each eye?

can you remember back, how long until you had good near and distance vision?

Getting worried.

thank you for any reply back.

Hello whattheheck652

sorry that you have such problems and seem really hacked off with your Mplus lenses. Are they lentis Mplus Lenses?

what surgeon?

are you the same now or have things improved.

This is what I am like at the moment and getting concerned. I am glad that i have found this forum so that we can share how we are and what possiblly can be done, or what is going to happen.

have had just had an eye check again, at an optician here on the Isle of Man where I live, the company that did the operation are not over here, there are no companies over here that do laser or RLE, so the company uses an optician over here for its check ups

vision is the same as last week, so not improved at all.

good near vision, but distance is a strain to drive and watch tv, and you end up with very tired eyes and you feel tired.

first eye 2 weeks and 2nd eye 3 weeks since ops for Mplus multifocal lenses.

thank you for any reply back.
.
Hello Lynda199

I hope you get on ok with the PRK laser surgery please do let us know how you get on and if you get good overall vision.

My distance vision after having Lentis Plus lenses implantes 2 and 3 weeks ago is not good, reading is good, and getting concerned seeing that i am straining to see distance vision, and eyes getting tired.

plus left with very dry eyes at the moment and using lots of dry eye drops.

do hope you get on ok

A bit concerned Lynda has dropped off the thread since March, please post Lynda to let us know how things are going since ex plant and if you are ok  
Thank you to Rockspider and everyone else who has sent me posts over the past year.  Here is a belated update of my surgery:

Thank you to everyone who has sent me posts over the past year.  Here is a belated update of my surgery:

As I had so many problems with ghosting, I had the MPlus explanted and replaced with single-vision IOLs (each one by a different manufacturer).  This happened in February and July this year.  I very much miss being able to read without glasses or using a computer;  in fact, it is driving me around the bend because I'm constantly wearing them for everyday things like preparing food, cooking or cleaning!

My distance vision is slightly short-sighted (-0.25 to -0.50), but good enough for me to drive.  Night-time driving is OK, but I now get glare around the whole of a street light, whereas before (with the MPlus) it was purely around the bottom of the light.  I am going to get glasses to bring my distance vision up a bit, and I think that will sharpen the glare from lights at night - well, I very much hope so because seeing lights at night like this is quite off-putting when driving along.

I made the great mistake of getting my right eye done first (although I think the surgeon just expected to do one eye, not both).  The reason I picked this eye first was because I couldn't read too well with it, but I think this reading problem was because of the PRK laser surgery I had had after the MPlus was inserted to correct the astigmatism in that eye.  After the PRK was done, my distance vision (after about a month) became very good indeed, but I still had the ghosting, although not as pronounced as the left eye.  With hindsight, I could kick myself for having the MPlus taken out of the right eye because of the very good distance vision and the ability to read without reading glasses, albeit not brilliantly.  The replacement single-vision lens is not giving me spot-on distance vision, hence my wishing to get some glasses to top it up, and my reading vision is now dreadful!

After I had the left eye lens exchange to a single-vision IOL, my distance vision was a lot better, but again I couldn't read or do other close jobs without glasses.

The one good thing I now notice is that when I'm walking around in a shop, the lighting is not ghosting all the time and disorientating me;  everything is completely clear.

So, in a nutshell, I am glad that I had the left eye lens exchange to a single-vision lens, but not the right.  If I'd kept the right MPlus, I would still have had extremely good distance vision (with the aid, of course, of the PRK) and been able to read a bit without glasses.  I don't know why the right single-vision lens doesn't enable me to see as well in the distance as the MPlus.  The surgeon said that it's the same prescription, but that different manufacturers have their own formulas for working out the dioptre, e.g. the materials it's made from are different.  I would have put up with the small amount of ghosting with that eye if I knew how my vision would turn out.

Finally, the surgeon said that an IOL for reading and other close work will soon be developed that can be fitted just behind the iris.  She said that many of their former patients who had been fitted with single-vision IOLS, before multifocal lenses came on the scene, had wanted to get rid of their reading glasses, and so something like this (which would involve a much simpler operation) would be ideal for them.  I am keeping my eyes open, so to speak, on this very welcome forthcoming development!
Hi sunshinett55
Hope things are getting better for you.
My distance vision is really sharp. I had laser 18 years ago but was told that I had a cataract forming in my right eye so decided to go ahead with iol. Also I needed reading glasses which became very annoying.
After treatment I found I was able to read and use computers virtually the next day.
Night time vision can take time to get used to. I am now nearly three months post op. I try to ignore haloes, glare etc and find this works.
I have to see Optical Express in the next couple of weeks for my monthly check up. I'm experiencing blurring in my right eye ( almost like when I was diagnosed with the cataract) so need to sort it out.
All in all I would not go back to how I was before the procedure. Try to stick it out even if it takes the 6 months we were told it could take to settle.
Good luck.
Hello I have had MPlus multifocal lenses implanted

left eye 31 Oct and the right eye 7 Nov

regular eye checks, left with distance vision not as good as i thought, gets worse in poor light and at night.  glost of ghosting and glare but that does not really bother me, what bothers me and waht is dissapointing is that distance vision is not as good as i thought it would be.

you say 6 months and you have very good distance vision, is that good reading too after 6 months?

i  have been told by a local optician that the big place use, that now after this time that teh left eye she thinks is where it is going to be and the rigth eye the same.

but you say 6 months.  when did you eyes level off and you gain the vision you feel is max vision?

have you heard others say it can take 3 months or more, that your eyes keep improving maybe?

just dont know if this is it and that this is the vision that they have settled at.

good to know how you are now?

thanks for any reply
Hello i notice this said Aug how are you now?
have you had any further treatments to improve things if so which and how did they go?

how is your distance and near?

this is a bit of my story
I am a lady just turned 49 years old

Needed distance and reading glasses and had in both eyes small cataracts.

Had first eye done on the 31st Oct and the 2nd eye on the 7th Nov. A big company that advertises across (I live on the Isle of Man).  
i am wondering with some of these people including me whether they put the right strength in. I have had in both eyes multifocal lenses, LENTIS® Mplus.

i dont have disantce vison as sharp as i would like and glare.  with all the equpiment they use to measure your eyes how come they do not get it right?  i am beginning to think that they have not put the correct strength lenses in.  can they take out and insert stronger ones, have you heard of others having them out and putting new ones in?  i dont know if they would charge you again though?

Reading is good, but distance is not what I had hoped for.  Even in daytime it is not sharp like before when I had glasses. I am just about legal driving standard for distance.
I can read that no problem but distance is a disappointment to me.

So I am wondering how others are getting on?
How long should you give 2 months, 3months, 6 months for you to get what vision you will get out of these lenses?  

Interesting to know where you are with your eyes, what you have been told?

Have you had any further treatments and if so has it been worthwhile?
I am wonder if I should have had difference lenses to the LENTIS® Mplus.  But was told that these would give all round vision definitely good distance if anything i was told i might need slight reading glasses. But reading is perfect its distance I that am not that happy with.

The other thing is I have very dry eyes, but again I can just put loads of drops in for that.

I am not on these but read someone was taking them, THERA TEARS, are you taking them?

http://www.****.com/success.php

Thanks for any replies.

Hi Lynda, glad things worked out , you have been through the mill by the sound of it and you come across as a strong person and not prepared to accept the " just learn to live with it " mantra these eye surgeons repeat at you, i admire you for that, the glare you still have is probably attributable to the PRK , if that is the eye you have the problem with, the new lens you spoke of is a sulcus fixed lens, these are being developed quite fast as there is a market for older fused in lenses being replaced for newer better ones, basically the entire capsular bag can be removed and the new lens takes its place behind the iris, its something i may look at in the future as my one eye , the 3 add, has poor night vision with starring. keep us informed of any new development and good luck for the future.
Wow, it is a bit disconcerting reading all these comments as I had not thought to check out the Lentis M plus lenses before insertion. I had them inserted on 3rd and 31st Dec 2012 so it is sstill early days. I have wonderful clear vision following the removal of cataracts and can read and rive without glasses (and can see all the wrinkles in my face either hidden by glasses or previously invisible!). So I am still delighted with the lenses except for 2 aspects, the "ghosting" driving at night (it was a relief to read of this as I wondered what was making driving so alarming, and 'ghosting' is an apt description), and the fact that I see some colours, especially on artificial fabric, in a distorted way. Some blacks are navy or even purple: my chocolate brown cardigan is quite bright purple and one tan jumper is now cherry red.I understand that there will be some change due to the removal of the yellowing cataracts, but that woyld not acount for a black cotton top still looking black but my black acrylic jumper now looking a navy/purple. I wonder if this will improve with time; I am still using the post op drops in one eye (and have other permanent drops for glaucoma) and am interested that this has not arisen in other comments... or maybe I missed it. I do sometimes use bog-standard reading glasses when
in poor light or I am tired, but do not mind that, but hope that I can get (hopefully cheap)
I had both eyes implanted with these in December 2012 at Moorfields Private. I am extremely happy with the outcome. My pre op prescription was -8 in one eye and -9 in the other and at 50 I had already graduated to varifocal glasses. I am now totally glasses independent and can see clearly at distance and to read. I have some night time light halo interference  but this has diminished steadily over the past couple of months.
Happy to recommend my surgeon to anyone!
Who was your surgeon at Moorfields Private, Pete?  I might wish to approach him to have the M-Plus re-inserted into my right eye, as I've found it was a grave mistake to have it removed from that eye in the first place!

Lynda
I've just signed up to watch this thread having been reading it for a few weeks.  I had the Lentis M Plus lens implanted into my right eye 5 weeks ago.  The left eye implant a week later was postponed as I had massive ghosting/double vision and glare, which caused me enormous distress and concern.  I have since had two other checkups, one was unscheduled as I was so worried, and my one month post-op was last week.  I was convinced that the lens was decentred but the optometrists say it’s perfectly centred.  It feels like I’m forcing my eye to see distance through the close up part of the lens.

I won’t name the clinic yet as I’m undecided whether I’m happy with them or not.  I’m trying to convince myself it’s getting better so I’m keeping an open mind for now.  It’s only been 5 weeks, but they are easily the longest 5 weeks of my life!  As things stand, if my left eye had been done after a week and had the same effect, I would be almost housebound, I certainty would not have been able to drive.   I’m only a young 53, so I’m glad I still have a good untouched left eye (with a contact lens).

I have been assured that the eye/lens will “settle” and my brain will adapt, so I guess only time will tell.  The clinic will happily explant (so they say) and replace with a monovision lens, but that really defeats the whole exercise, so I do want this to work.

Has anyone had experience of these bifocal type lenses being de-centred and re-positioned?  Also, I’d love to hear from anyone who had the same ghosting/blurred vision which lasted at least 5-6 weeks then cleared.

Anyone tried exercises to help with Neuroadaptation?  This company in the US will happily sell me their program for $500… http://www.revitalvision.com/

Currently investigating the M Plus Lentis Lense....and would appreciate the name of your surgeon for an advisory consultation Pete6209. Feel more comfortable dealing with somone that has come with a reference :))
My advice - don't!  Way too many compromises with this lens.  2 months on and I'm still seeing double and anything other than bright sunshine is a nightmare.  Luckily they didn't do my second eye when I told them about these problems.  If I had had both eyes done like this, I would be almost housebound, I certainly wouldn't have been able to drive and would have probably lost my job as a consequence.  As Clint Eastwood said "do you feel lucky"?
I noticed the colour shift the other day, I have only had one eye done, so I can make a direct comparison.  Left eye (natural lens) - black jumper, right eye (M-plus lens) - blue jumper.  I wonder if it is due to the UV filter in the M-plus lens?  If so, when they replace it with a mono-vision lens can I get one without a UV filter?
Hankill, see my post in the other thread you started regarding the Lentis MPlus and the Lentis Comfort.
Hello how are you now?

I too noticed straight after surgery RLE MPlus lenses that my black coat did not seem black any more but had a purple tinge and some of my glass cups at home and glass plates used to be black but had this purple aspect to them as well.  has this gone too?  you are the first person i have noticed that has said this albeit i have not read all posts as my eyes get very tired these days.

do your eyes get very tired?  more than they used to with wearing glasses.

i seem to be very tired by the end of the day and wonder if its due to my eyes

i can read, thats good, but saying that my eyes get tired fast and although i can read this computer and books, they get tired fast and the print seems to have a slight blur to it, cant explain properly but they say i have good reading vision but to me its not like before with glasses, not sharp sharp. do you have this?

distance - dissapointed in this, i always feel i am straining to see into the far distance as its not sharp. they say i am legal driving , do drive, but at night thats a pain as have so much extra glow and images, blur on lights, street signs etc.  and in the daytime, well again i always feel i am straining my eyes, so i have to drive, as most do, during the day, (not all day), and i am straining to see, but can see, if that explains? and end up i feel with tired eyes

I DID THIS TO BE GLASSES FREE, they have said have a distance pair for driving and watching tv but i dont want to do this!!!!

why cant they get it perfect, with all those machines before hand taking images, measurements?

i feel like going back to the surgeon again, but i did go back in Feb and he said to me bascially that he woudl not laser, as that might lose some of my near vision.  and i have dry eyes.

i dont know what to do, i want to be glasses free, but i feel like i am so tired every day and my eyes feel like they are straining if only the distance was sharp

so much money isnt it to pay and not feel right

can any one help what i could do?

can they replace, can i insist on this. the company i went with have a year guarantee, first eye was done is Nov 2012.

what about any new lenses on the market?  would they be better, i doubt i could get them to fit this FOC.
the surgeon was saying really that the lenses are fine, meaning that its different in each person
one person might get 20/20 and the other might not
and look past all and get used to it

but i am actually finding it harder as i go on

also and has anyone had this trigeminal neuralgia?

i had this funny feeling in my face, cheek, after having eyes done and not saying its due to the eyes, but never had it before, my doctor thinks its trigeminal neuralgia.

i have been put on carbamazepine and not happy about this as these are strong.
has anyone got this TN in the face?

please do get back to me anyone as i want to know what to do next about my eyes, i feel like i wish i had waited but i did research it, MPLUS lenses but did not come across this site then, if i did i would have had it done yet.

Hello how are you now?

The company I had my surgery with, first Eye end Nov and second eye first week of December 2012, they say online, just looked, so latest info on this,

Yes. With our premium multifocal lenses both distance vision and near vision is corrected. Our results indicate that 98% achieve reading standard of 20/80 or better* following the procedure and are able to read newspaper print smaller than that found in today's newspapers without the need for spectacles.

Have you noticed this yet? black does not look the same.

I straight after surgery RLE MPlus lenses that my black coat did not seem black any more but had a purple tinge and some of my glass cups at home and glass plates used to be black but had this purple aspect to them as well.   my eyes get very tired these days.

can any one help what i could do?

and look past all and get used to it

has anyone got this TN in the face?

Hi, I just answered your questions in another thread, but to just add here – no, my eyes do not get tired, or I should say “eye” since only one has been implanted with the Mplus.  I wear a contact lens in the other one, and I do get aware of that at the end of the day, whereas the implanted eye always feels fine.   Also, I notice fewer “floaters” than in the other “natural” eye.  I suffered no physical discomfort at all, which makes the ghosting/blurring even harder to bear.
Lentis MPlus induces optical aberrations into the eye. This lens does not have rotational symmetry. I',m optometrist, and I work in a refractive surgery center. I don't like the optical design of this lens from te begining, and I have seen very very patients with visual problems.
Its about two years ago that I had the lenses transplanted. For the first year I experienced the symptoms that many have  described, ghost images, colour changes etc.
Now two years later I am pleased with my vision. I do not notice the ghost images now, I assume my brain is now filtering them out because if I concentrate on trying to see them I can.
My distance vision is good as is my reading. The colour changes are still evident, my charcoal trousers still appear as a bright blue but this is a small price to pay for being free from spectacles.
Overall as time has passed the problems of the initial few months seem to have gone, I suspect due to the brain making the necessary compensations.
Although not perfect, I am now pleased with the results of the transplant.
I would luv to have the name of your surgeon !
Like Moskins, I would like to know the name of your surgeon, please Pete.
Hi Lynda,

Did you get any better resolution? I have teh m+ and like others on this forum are seriously considering getting it explanted.

I am reluctant to go mono - so am seeking feedback on the finevision trifocal or the zeiss trifocal lenses. I havent found ANY negative feedback on these lenses yet!
Some more positive feedback about trifocal lenses.  I had Zeiss trifocal lenses implanted 5 weeks ago.  I'm awaiting my final checkup next week but at the moment all seems well.  I've gone from -12 with some astigmatism to excellent far, intermediate and near vision.  See my post http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Eye-Care/Tri-focal-lens-Refractive-Lens-Exchange/show/2041653 (sorry, I'm not sure how to post a link).
Helow
Im from Argentina, I have 54 and i have been operated a few weeks ago whith the german lents(oculantis mplus ) for presbicia
first 2 days y was happy because i sow a diference reading my chats at the telephone. but the progress stop and started to have pain and see less every day.
Doctor said it doesnt work in my eye but he never see a problem with this lens
Afortunnally im only opereted one of my eyes.
Now dr said try to change for the american lens acrisof iq restor. Im very worry about my future in my eye.
Sorry about my English