Eye Care Community

Can anyone say anything positive about Lentis M-Plus?

I had these lenses implanted a few weeks ago, instead of the Crystalens ones I really wanted.  I am trying to get used to them, but the 'ghosting' effect is trying me around the bend, most especially when I drive in darkness.  I really can't see how my brain will manage to remove the skirts of fuzzy light around the base of headlights, etc.;  there has been no improvement at all since I had the surgery done.

In addition, reading is very hard indeed.  At various times of the day,I have to use differing strengths of reading glasses, starting at +1.00D.  My consultant told me me that I wouldn't be able to read with the Crystalenst, but the same infuriating problem is happening with the Lentis M-Plus!

Has anyone else had (or is having) these symptoms, please?  Could anyone also offer any advice, please?

P.S. - I should add that, after complaining at a recent check up, I am going back for PRK laser surgery in a few weeks' time on my right eye only, because the incision made in that eye to correct my astigmatism has healed itself up and I've got it back once more (to a slightly lesser degree).  The distance vision in my right eye is also not as good as the left, so I hope the laser treatment will help that.  However, I am experiencing the 'ghosting' problem in both eyes and don't know if the surgery help with that;  I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it will!

You may want to get a second opinion. You may need to wear glasses all or most of the time to get the best possible vision.
JCH MD
Dear Dr Hagan,

Thank you very much for your comments.  I did in fact get a (rather expensive) second opinion from another surgeon, who I later discovered only implanted the Crystalens, not multi-focal lenses.  He knew how upset I was at not being given the Crystalens, but told me that I must put that out of my mind now.  He could not find anything wrong with the positioning of the M-Plus lenses.  After the eye tests I took at his clinic, he saw I was experiencing problems with both distance and reading vision and suggested I got some optician-only prescription glasses for both.  I was shocked at this, because the whole point of the expensive surgery was for me to be specs-free!  I was prepared to only buy some off-the-shelf reading glasses, but these unfortunately only help a bit.  I am not going to get distance glasses as these won't rid me of the totally distracting ghosting/luminance I see at night whilst driving.

For a great many years, I wore gas-permeable contact lenses.  Well, these M-Plus lenses feel just as though I am still wearing them, but with a greasy mark on them!  I hope this sensation goes away over time.  At the moment, I simply wish that I had never had the surgery performed.  If after a few months I still have, in particular, the ghosting problem, I will have to ask for the lenses to be explanted and single-vision ones implanted instead!

With kind regards,

Lynda
Good luck, hope the dysphotopsia improves. Remember that Dr. Kutryb and I have published three research papers using these forums as the data source. Patients with multifocal or accommodating IOLs are about 23 times more likely to come here with a problem than a high quality monofocal IOL.

As I've said many times before if I was having catarct surgery on myself I would not consider any mutifocal or accommodating IOL.

JCH MD
Three and half months after the surgery I am still having exactly identical problems to you. I am 60 year old female and has been myopic all my adult life-  was -4 in both eyes befor the op. I would have been quite happy with monofocal IOLs set with mild mono-vision and would have been happy to have clear distance vision without glases but the surgeon informed me about this 'state of the art' multifocal IOL which supposedly had sorted all or most of the  issues found with other multifocals. I have been very unhappy with the nighttime vision. Day time vision is good but not consistant. I suffer a lot with dry eyes, sensitivity and glare. Preservative free artificial tears and plugs have helped a little. I have also developed cob-web type floaters 2 months ago but they are getting smaller and less obstructive. My surgeon who I saw 10 days ago said every thing was fine and was surprised that I was still experiencing nightime light issues. He has asked me to try alphagan drops to deal with nighttime light issues when driving. As my eyes are still very sensitive from the eye examination I will wait  for them to settle down before embarking on this new regime. I do have full faith in my surgeon and do want to believe that this lens is an improvement over other lenses. Perhaps it is the side effects of the surgery such as the dry eyes which are slowin down the healing process of the cornea in my case to some extent. I know my story will not give all the hope but there are quite a few of us in the same boat. Good luck. I hope things will get better for you.
Dear Dr Hagan,

Thank you for your message to me of 20th October last.  I am still having problems with the Oculentis M-Plus IOLs, even though I have had corrective laser surgery in one eye so far (4 weeks ago) to obliterate the astimatism there.  My surgeon has also given me Alphagen to use when driving at night, which only helps a little with the ghosting from lights.  If things do not improve substantially after I've had the other eye lasered, I want the surgeon (and he won't be happy with this suggestion!) to remove these lenses and insert single-vision (monofocal) ones.  You said in your message to me that if you yourself were having cataract surgery, you would not consider either multifocal or accommodating lenses, but high quality monofocal ones.  Could you give me the name of a high quality one, please?  I am going to see him again on Tuesday afternoon, the 11th (UK time), so if you are able to reply to me by then I would be very grateful.

These M-Plus IOLs have cost me £6,000, and I refuse to pay out more money for new monofocal ones.  Of course, if I had had the latter sort, I would have saved myself a lot of money!

Many thanks,

Lynda199
Dear  Lynda,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems with your vision. I myself gave up on alphagan drops as it dried up my already dry eyes bit too much. I am still suffering with dry eyes and at 6 months post op I can say that I am beggining to get used to my new vision at last. Yes, this is the trick. The light issues- GASH (glare, arcs, starbursts, halos) are still there but I am only noticing them when I remember about them. Six months ago I refused to believe in this neuroadaptation but having spoken to some of  my friends it can take upto a year.
My two colleagues have had standard NHS IOLs set with modified mini monovision ( a favourite of Dr Kutryb on this forum). The dominant eye is set for distance  and the other eye for intermediate range. This gives them glasses free driving and computer work but they need glasses for reading only. They are both very happy with their vision. NHS have been using these standard lenses for years and years.I am almost envious of my two friends.
If you look at some blog members e.g. JodieJ March 30 2010 there is some discussion about which monofocal IOL to go for. There is a suggestion for tecnis IOL. I should log onto www.tecnisiol for more info. I would still give each eye atleast six months and let nature take its course before going for a swap. As I have indicated, neuroadaptation takes a long time and I am getting there albeit slowly. The brain does learn to filter out the unwanted images.
Do let me know what you decide.

Shindi