Catarac surgey coming up

I am gathering information on catarac sugery. I have an astigmatism and cataracs. My vision is getting blurry more and more each week. I am 57 years old and scheduled to get the replacement surgery done in the next few weeks. I would like to talk to anyone about what to expect and how my vision will be afterward,. I am planning on getting the multifocal lens so I can see far and near.
I would appreciate any response.
Pete
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
PLEASE consider getting a second opinion from an experienced cataract surgeon.  Some people are pleased with their multifocal IOLs, but others are extremely unhappy.  Some people are unable to drive at night because of the glare and halos.  Because (1) you don't mind wearing glasses, and (2) you drive for a living, the risks involved with multifocals may far outweight the benefits for you.  These lenses are a good source of income for the surgeon, although it seems that few surgeons want them implanted in their own eyes.  Consider getting mini-monovision for good distance and intermediate vision and some reading ability without glasses.
Helpful - 0
I have three pairs of glasses I use. I wear the Progressive Glasses like I did before the Cataract Surgery. (New prescription of course.) Regular activities and driving. When I work on the computer for work, I can see the screen just fine without glasses, but to read the paper documents I also work on, I wear half lens that are 2X. This way I can read the paper documents with the half glasses and look over then to see the computer screen. The bifocals I have I wear to watch TV since the progressives have a narrow fine tuned area while the bifocal has standard focus above the reading part (above the line).
Helpful - 0
Regarding the halo effects, I do not experience this problem. My day and night vision with the plano cataract replacement lens when used with the progressive glasses, is the same.
Helpful - 0
What do you mean " your vision is not perfect" ?  I have set a date of Aug 23rd to get the multi focal lens put in my eyes. I can cancel it of course but I have decided I want to go for the full monty on benefits with the implants. Can you tell me IN DETAIL what you like about the lenses and what bothers you about the lenses.
I do drive a lot but I do want to be glasses free, I suppose, if I can.
Pete
Helpful - 0
My distance vision is roughtly 20/25 to 20/30 -- clear enough for almost any distance viewing, but, as I said, not perfect.  I'm able to drive without difficulty.  I do have issues with near vision, although if my environment is well lit with natural light I see quite well for reading or other activiites.  Reading is a problem with low light, and it's not as good with incandescent lighting as it is with natural sunlight.

So far I've gotten by without glasses, but I do plan to get a new prescription (progressive lenses) in the future for those situations where reading is a problem or I want absolutely clear distance vision.
Helpful - 0
Definitely reconsider not to  get the multifocal lens.I had the Restor lens. Night driving was a nightmare!  Check the archives on this subject.  I had to have the Restor multi explanted and replaced with a monofocal lens.  Both eyes are now done with mini-minovision and I see excellent at all distance.  I just need readers for the smallest print, otherwise I am glasses free.  My advise is the monofocal lens.  I do not think you will be sorry.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Forum

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.