Catarac surgey coming up

I am gathering information on catarac sugery. I have an astigmatism and cataracs. My vision is getting blurry more and more each week. I am 57 years old and scheduled to get the replacement surgery done in the next few weeks. I would like to talk to anyone about what to expect and how my vision will be afterward,. I am planning on getting the multifocal lens so I can see far and near.
I would appreciate any response.
Pete
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
To all
I'm surprised to hear all the negative things about the multifocal. Surely there are people out there that love them, otherwise why would they sell them. Is there anyone that loves the multifocal? I don't want to have a pair of glasses hanging around my neck for when I read. I'm still working and want the freedom and convenience they offer, if that's indeed true.
Pete
Helpful - 0
Why would they sell them?  The profit margin on these lenes is tremendous.  I am not saying that all eye care pros do it for the money, but I am sure a lot do. Insurance covers (as does Medicare) monofocal lenes.
Helpful - 0
I realize there is profit in them but at some point there has had to have been successful studies done.
I would like to hear from anyone, that's still working, that's had it done. I would like to know of the lighting,vision sharpness, adaptability of your eyes to the new lenses ect....I'm not on medicare so I'm not concerned that the government pays for them, I will do that myself.
Helpful - 0
Pete, please see my post above.  It is unfortunate that disappointed66 and some other posters have had bad experiences with multifocal lenses.  I do enjoy my multifocals and I would have them implanted again.  Also see the various posts by Yarrow, who is extremely satisfied.  I was merely pointing out that my vision isn't perfect.  However, I have been able to get along quite well glasses free most of the time.  Really the only times I am in need of glasses are close work in low or dim artificial light, menus in dimly lit restaurants, or sometimes at fast food restaurants where it is a little problematic to see the menu items posted behind the counter.  For most multifocal wearers, it is unrealistic to expect to be totally glasses free, although it's possible for some people.

I was fortunate not to have experienced starbursting, glare, or halo effects, but you should know that this is sometimes an issue for multifocal users,  In addition, you should know that light is focused in more than one point (i.e., it must accommodate both near and distance vision at the same time) with multifocal lenses, meaning that only about 50% of the available light is used for each focal point.  This fact can cause night driving to not be not as sharp for some people, which is presumably the reason that multifocals are generally not recommended for people who frequently drive at night for a living.

I have a blog on this website that details my own journey and exprerience with cataract surgery, which I would invite you to read if you're interested.
Helpful - 0
Pete,

I was willing to pay for them myself, but I did not get the results promised. Oh,what a mistake I made!

Go to the archives.  Click on my user name.  You will find a lot of information.
Please do not make a hasty decision.

I can read all of the above without glasses with monofocal lenses.. My night driving is excellent.  No glare.

Everyone's eyes are different.  You need to discuss this with your eye care professional thoroughly.  As jodij said, get that second opinion.

I am happy that cwatt1 had such good results, but too many people have had bad experience with the multi. Unfortunately there is no guarantee with either.

Good luck
Helpful - 0
I agree with Jodie J and dissapointed 66. I had one Restor implanted and then explanted within six months after very poor vision. You can read my posts. That being said you will find more people posting in these forums that are experiencing problems because that is why people often turn to forums.

That being said I think you need to weigh your options carefully and at all costs choose a highly experienced surgeon who has implanted the type of lens you are choosing many many times. Keep in mind that there does not seem to be a lens out there that does not require glasses at least some times. I have blended monovision set for distance/intermediate and only wear progressive glasses to read fine print in dim light, i.e. I can usually read my blackberry and news print. I think you may sacrifice the quality, sharpness, lack of glare for the option of perhaps having a wider range of vision with premium lenses. For me I rather have the best quality of vision and put up with glasses occasionally.  

Take all the time you need to make this decision. You are young and need your eyes/vision for a lifetime. Good luck.
londonbridge
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Forum

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.