Eye Care Community

Cataract followed by Retinal detachment and Membrane Peel Victrectonomy

Hi I need some suggestions.  Let me give some background first.  I can see only from one right eye and have been blind in one eye all over my life.  I am 30 years old individual.  Last year I had Retinal detachment in my good eye and it was treated on time and saved.  The procedure used was gas bubble and laser.  After 6 months of that I developed scar tissue and my vision was distorted and waves. My Retina specialist performed peel membrane,  emperical buckle Victrectonomy.  I took 7 or 8 months for my eye to be healed now distortion and wavey lines are pretty much gone. Last month I saw my Retina specialist for a follow up and he told me that there is a cataract developing and it might take two years to fully develop and need a surgery.  However for the last two weeks I am experiencing glare and distortion.  I went back to my ophthalmologist and he told me it's a cataract and it developed faster than expected.  So he refered me to Retina and cataract specialist.  I am seeing her next month.  Currently my vision is - 10. In my only good eye which is right eye.  My ophthalmologist advised me that I can get rid of Myopia by having implant the corrective lense.  However I would need a pair of reading glasses to read smaller  text.  
My question is should i go ahead with the corrective lense?  Or just get the regular lense and wear glasses?  Considering that I just have one good eye and wore contacts and glasses all my life.  

1. A cataract almost always develops after vitrectomy and usually within year or two.
2. Read this carefully and at least 2-3 times:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/841991/Consider-ALL-the-Options-Before-Your-Cataract-Surgery-Working-Through-Whats-Best-For-You
3. For most people the safest procedure would be a monofocal, high quality aspherior IOL and a target refractive error of 0.00 if you want good distance vision (farther than 20 feet) or -1.00 if you want a reasonable distance vision, good intermediate vision and fair reading vision without glasses BUT you should be wearing glasses all the time to protect your good eye.
4. Be sure your cataract surgery and retina surgeon work closely together. You will need some extra visits post op to have the retina surgeon check your retina while the cataract is heeling

JCH MD
Thank you so much doctor. Will do that. My retina suergeon sent me to this catract surgeon. So they should be consulting but I will also make sure .
Best of luck. I think you will do well and be astonished by the improvement.
JCH MD
Thanks for the good wishes.  I will post back the results after the surgery
-
Hi doctor.  I got a chance to see the cataract surgeon earlier.  She said that I will be going through a surgery and they will implant Tecnis® ZCB00 1-Piece Acrylic IOL.  They took the measurement of My eye and told me about the risks involved.  She said that there is a 1/1000 times chances to have complications.  Since I already had Victrectonomy,  the lense could fall at the back of my eye.  She kind of scared me because she said if that happens I could eventually go blind.  Since I have only one eye  that is functional  I am paranoid but still keeping my self positiv.   She said that since I had Retinal detachment and emperical buckle before that might happen.  Please do shed some light on this issue.  Thanks