Eye Care Forum

Caterac

Hello a friend of mine will not have a cataract operation to her right eye, as she is scared about her trigeminal neuralgia being made alot worse. She is in her early seventies, she is desperate to know if there are any side effects, or if this operation could harm her condition. Please can you help her? We both live near central London.
I really don't see how the operation can affect her trigeminal neuralgia especially if topical anesthesia is used (which I highly recommend.)  But on the other hand, trigeminal neuralgia is kind of a mysterious problem to begin with so I really don't have a lot of experience with seeing these cases get better or worse.  The cases I have seen with laser or radiofrequency ablation of the trigeminal nerve seemed to do quite poorly - but that is not related to cataract surgery in any way.  In the end, cataract surgery is really a totally different thing altogether but I would make sure she has good corneal sensitivity which is essential for good healing.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.