Eye Care Community

Cateract surgery for high myopic patient

I am a 74 year old woman with high myopia and normal tension glaucoma.  My Glaucoma specialist
tells me that my cateracts should be removed because my night vision and day vision have deteriated.
My last RX 3/9/16 was  RT -12-350 021  LT -10 -9.25 120
My Glaucoma MD would be doing the surgery.  I've had many talks with him about my risks for retina
detachment and other complications.  He has done many tests, photos etc.  Sent me to see a Retina  
Specialist and Cornea Specialist several times for checks too.  They say things look good for surgery
During my last visit to my Glaucoma Specialist who would do my surgery he said he planned to
implant a -2 IOL. and he didn't plan on giving me 20/20 vision.  His plan is to allow be to see clear
without glasses for reading, computer and some distance but for driving I would need to put my glasses
on.  It seems to me that he plans to completely change my vision from being nearsighted to being
farsighted. I've worn glasses for distance since I've been 5 years old.  I don't think I can or would
adopt to such a major vision change.  I've never worn bifocals, or blended glasses because the distortion  
always bothered me.  He thinks I will like the change not having to wear glasses for close up work.
I've adapted my reading and computer skills by sliding my glasses down my nose ore reading with out
my glasses. Very worried about the he plans for my vision following surgery. Would greatly appreciate
Dr. Hogan's and others opinion..  Thank You.    
First read this article about cataract surgery and high myopia:http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/1648117/Timing-of-Cataract-Surgery-and-High-Myopia

Then read this article about what you should know before surgery:   http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/1648102/Consider-ALL-the-Options-Before-Your-Cataract-Surgery-Working-Through-Whats-Best-For-You

Your surgeon's plan to leave you about -2.00 is the solution that works best for most people.  I can't imagine that any surgeon would ever leave a person needing glasses as strong as you are use to wearing.  After the first operation you can decide what you would like on the second eye. If you want better distance vision you could go with a smaller number like -1.00 or if you wanted more reading power on the second eye you could go for -3.00.     You would stand a very good chance of adjusting to multifocal glasses either progressive, bifocal or trifocal or single vision for distance, intermediate or near.

To summarize no surgeon likes to ever leave an eye with a post op refraction stronger than about -3.00 and certainly nothing like you're use to wearing.
re: "to being farsighted"

I'll add the minor correction that the doctor won't be leaving you farsighted, merely just slightly myopic rather than very myopic. Since you will still need to use glasses for distance, it shouldn't be a major change other than letting you do some tasks without glasses.

If you merely like wearing glasses  all the time, you can always get non-prescription glasses off the shelf to wear when you aren't wearing distance glasses.  e.g. there are off the shelf non-prescription  computer glasses with 0 power, or use frames you like and have a non-prescription  0D lens put in.

It isn't clear from your post,  would you really prefer to be as myopic as you are now for some reason, is there some task you do very near that you don't wear glasses for?  Although as the doctor noted, its unlikely they'd wish to leave you as nearsighted as you are now, perhaps they might go a bit more myopic than -2D, e.g. perhaps -3D, if really close vision is important to you.
re: "to being farsighted"

=