Eye Care Forum

Chlorhexidine corneal burn

I had septoplasty a week ago, but woke up from anesthesia unable to open my eye and with severe eye pain.  It is important to note that I have a very large optic disc coloboma in that eye and very little vision.  It was very painful, I was groggy, but reiterated to the doctor that I had no concern for my vision.  I was given a topical anesthetic and told it was probably just irritated.  That night, I was sent to an ophthalmologist (not my regular) after hours who examined and saw a "large chemical burn or abrasion", gave me a contact lens to help the pain, but also realized there was little concern for vision loss so offered no other suggestions.  I told him I had some Tobradex ST and he agreed it couldn't hurt. Next day when he removed the lens, he still noted the burn, but did nothing since the pain subsided.  Fast forward a week: Pain is eased, but still dull ache.  It is constantly tearing; though no crusting, some redness, and sensitive to light.  I found out today my surgeon used chlorhexadine prep instead of betadine and that is probably the cause.  My question:  Is there anything I could or should do at this point?  How long does an injury like this take to heal?  Vision aside, are there potential risks to my comfort that I need to prevent somehow?  Also, I am very active and outdoors most of the day with my horses; the light sensitivity and constant tearing are getting in my way (it tears regardless of light).  Is this to be expected? And will it get better?  Again, with little concern for vision, is there anything different I need to be doing to prevent chronic pain or tearing?  Or should this just go away in time?  I feel those aspects get overlooked due to my visual impairments.  A sighted person would certainly be treated more aggressively.
A corneal abrasion resulting from exposure or a chemical should heal completely; if there is no infection, then the cornea should heal without scarring.  While small abrasions can heal overnight, larger ones take longer.  If there is no residual epithelial defect (abrasion) on the cornea, you eye might be inflamed and require a topical steroid or non-steroidal eye drop to resolve the ache and light sensitivity.  I would see the ophthalmologist again to determine if the abrasion is fully healed, and if there is any iritis (anterior chamber inflammation).  With treatment, all symptoms should resolve completely.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.