Eye Care Community

Clear,Long,Stringy Goo in Eye Constantly

Hi, I am 31 and as long as I can remember I have had problems with my eyes. Througout the day I have to wash out eyes, out my fingers in eye to remove the stuff- I know this can't be good but it happens so often I have to. It is clear, and runs in the bottom of eye, on eye, top of inside eye, long stringy goo. I can lightly wet a cutip- put in inside corner of eye and spin. The stuff goes from top to bottom. It is such an irritant. What could this be- I went to dr before and they said it was allergies. All the time I dont think so. I have really long eyelashes could that have something to do with it. I cant even wear makeup because it makes much more stuff in eye. Please any advice will help.
After reading all of this, I had to post.  I've had the same problem for many years.  I also have extremely dry eye.  I've been through everything imaginable to try to control the problem, to include every kind of drop on the market. I finally talked to my mom, who has been in the medical field for over 50 years, and explained to her the problem.  Come to find out, she had the same problem. She recommended that first, I stop putting things in my eyes (cotton swabs, tissue, FINGER expecially) and she recommended that I go and get the Equate brand from Walmart of the Multi-Purpose Solution.  I clean out my eyes every night before I go to bed and first thing when I get up.  I can tell you that this has reduced the problem DRASTICALLY.  Now, instead of the problem occurring every day, all day long, maybe it might happen once a month.  I had it so bad I would have to pull over my car because I couldn't see due to the mucus accumulation in my eyes, which happened almost every other day.  I use the solution instead of "regular" eyedrops, which can be expensive and didn't work.  The Equate Multi-Purpose Solution is about $3 for a 4 fl oz bottle and so far, has worked the best.  
Lots of luck to the rest of you with this, I know it is bad..
I know there are lots of different reasons you can have itchy swollen eyes but my eyes were very itchy and swollen, really bad, especially the lids of my eyes. I'd often have blurry vision from a thin film I could see over my eyes. They'd get so itchy I'd have to rub them and then they'd puff up even redder and more swollen til I couldn't even see and get all gritty feeling until i could see a stringy white skin like substance in my eyes which I'd have to get out. Once I got it out I'd feel better but it would take 24 to 48 hrs for my swollen eyes to look normal again. I tried all types of drops from  artelac and optanol, antihistimines and antibiotics. The artelac was good and did help but I still had itchy eyes most of the time. I saw my doctor numerous times, I saw an eye specialist and a nose specialist as I thought that might be a factor but they all said they saw no real cause from tests. My doctor said it was dry eye. I had eczema a few years ago and the itching reminded me of that so I tried a little cortisone ointment on my eyelids even though I saw no signs of eczema on them and within a day my eyes were no longer itchy and now it's 2 weeks later and I haven't had a single itch and my eyes are no longer red and swollen. It's amazing. I had problems with my eyes for over 2 years and overnight it's gone. The ointment I put on my eyes is elocon and I used it very sparingly for a few days. I now just ensure my eyelids are lubricated daily with a little vaseline and artelac. No more itching, redness or puffyness. I keep the elocon in a drawer just in case I need it in future. btw I did try a 1% hydrocortisyl ointment before elocon but it didn't help all that much. I hope this helps someone as I know how debilitating it can be.
Ur putting the Vaseline on the outside of ur eyelids? I've been suffering as well and it's making my itch my nose and constantly squishing my eyes shut so hard I'm shaking my brain n my mom Ellis me I'm going to give my self a aneurism but I can't help it it's so irritating n my mainly doctor is an a** and will not listen to anything I say I'm getting so agrivated about this!
Hi Bridget

Yes I suggest you put a hot slightly damp cloth on your eyes for a few seconds. Do that 2 or 3 times and then put some vaseline gently on your eyelids and rims of eyes. It won't irritate them. If you continue to have problems and you've tried everything but still get itchy eyes that just never seem to get better then try a little cortisone ointment such as elocon like I did. It really helped me. My eyes haven't itched in a month now. You'll only have to use the elocon for a few days. You've got nothing to lose by trying it.
Feel the same way help!!! I seriously watch a movie and can't help but stick my fingers under my eyelids to completely remove the stuff every two min!  Will spend 5 min in the shower just cleaning my eyes out.  have you found a remedy. like u said it is ruining my life
I'm so glad I'm not the only one haha!
I'm 22 and had this since I was in my early teens as far as I remember. However after talking to my mum she said I had badly blocked tear ducts as a baby. Does anyone else know if they did too?
I've read that it could be allergenic conjunctivitis.. Personally I think it's highly possible.. Mine have been so much worse since it's now Spring.
Also wondering if anyone has had RAST (I think that was the name of it) testing done on their blood? Apparently they test for any allergic reactions for a whole range of different categories. It could be something we're commonly around?
Final question; does anyone else have reasonably sensitive skin and scalp? Also tend to get hayfever?
I suffered from gooey, sandy eyes for more than 10 years, following a bacterial infection from a keyboard at work. Seen 4 different doctors who said it was either allergy or dry eyes, without even examining me, an prescribing different medicine that didn't work.
I think I finally found an explanation to what it might be on this site:

http://www.eyehealthweb.com/blepharitis/

These are the symptoms listed, and I have most of them:

Blepharitis Symptoms
There are many symptoms that may signal the presence of blepharitis or eyelid inflammation. Some of these symptoms are more severe than others, and sometimes a person will not experience any of these symptoms at all. The most common symptoms include:

Crusty discharge on the lashes or lids, especially when first awakening
    Redness of the eye or eyelids
    Swelling of eyelids and skin around eyes
    Itching
    Burning
    Excessive tearing
    Dry eyes
    Blurring of vision
    Loss of eyelashes
    Photophobia (sensitivity to bright light)
    Gritty sensation when blinking
    Fluctuating vision due to secondary dryness and an unstable tear film

Treatment for Blepharitis
Depending on which type of blepharitis you have, there are a variety of ways to treat this condition. With any type of blepharitis, the cornerstone of treatment is keeping the eyes clean and free of debris with hot compresses and gentle lid hygiene.

Warm compresses are a mainstay of all treatments for blepharitis. The heat and moisture can soften flakes and debris on the eyelashes, making them easier to clean. The heat also helps to encourage the flow of oil from the meibomian glands. Blepharitis is a chronic condition, and it is helpful to make warm compresses a part of your daily routine, and to apply them more often when symptoms flare.

After a warm compress, gently massage the eyelid margins to prompt the flow of oil from the meibomian glands.

Gently wash the eyelids and eyelashes with baby shampoo diluted with water, or a commercial eyelid cleanser such as those made by Ocusoft. Wrap a washcloth around your index finger or use cotton swabs to clean. Avoid rubbing too hard, and rinse with warm water when finished.
I'm 50 - this started for me after a day in the Sun bout 3 yrs ago - my eyeballs got sunburned - I went to the local gp and he gave me some steroid drops and other crap - I shoulda done my own research before as the med field only cares bout peddlin crap... anyways.. aall I really needed to do was let the sunburn heal - I knew it was the Sun cause 2 days after it healed I was talking to someone and the Sun was low at sunset - after like 2 minutes my eyes started burning and stinging.. BAM !! instant sunburn irritation.. so now - everything is an irritant - BUT the trigger is the SUN !! Wear dark uva uvb glasses and some kind of hat cause the Suns radiation will find anyway possible to touch you eye and irritate it.. Took me a while to figure it out but that's the trigger for me. - More radiation getting thru to the most sensitive part of your body.. make sense ? We are stuck with it cause genetics will take over now and start protecting the future generation...  but sadly we got it man. - be well and protect your eyeballs from radiation. - OH - so basically if you stare at the computer, smoke a doob , wear contacts or go outside... u will have it forever - or just move to Seattle where the Sun never shines..
I am a 16 year old male and I'm experiencing this exact problem as we speak. It doesn't hurt, but it's just so annoying. I wake up, clean my eyes which have a bunch of goo in and then few hours later they reappear and I have to use the bathroom/toilet to do what I have to do.

It makes me so sad and ugly to think that I have this issue with my eyes. Once I wake up at a friend's house or cousin's house, the bathroom is my main priority. Ugh!

I use a Clean & Clear face wash product and use a NIVEA face moisturiser.

I do not wear contacts, neither do I wear glasses.

I need help, or shall I say WE need help!
I have this same problem and so did my mom, dad and now I'm seeing my 22 year old daughter doing it. One day I was talking to my mom on the phone and she asked me what I was doing and while pulling what I call "oodle noodles " out of my eyes I said "digging in my eyes again Mommy " I said to her "I'm sooo tired of doing this " without me asking her about her same problem... she said "I don't do it anymore " and I said "how " and she said "I just stopped and it went away " I know I got it BAD but my mom she would pull and pull until she would say it felt like she was pulling her actual eyelids out.
Which we all know that's wasn't true but that's how it felt to her. After she told me
she just stopped, I tried to "just " stop... but
I couldn't and told me that a couple of years ago... but she stopped like 8 years ago. Also if you smoke tobacco, you'll really pull. I stopped smoking for a while and the pulling stopped on its own and when I started smoking again because I was weak, the pulling started allll over again. One day I'm going to do what my mom did for her addition... as with ANY addition...
"COLD TURKEY " and "JUST STOP " we have to be our own "rehab " since there's not one for this addition. Look at it how you want to but that's what it is. NO doctors can help... we have to do on our own with Gods help.
Be blessed.
Wow!!! i can;t believe so many people are going through this. I myself am going through this. Its been almost 4 years now. And its gotten worse. Idk what it is but i constantly everyday have to pull white goopy stuff out of my eye.from when i go to bed even when i have to wake up in the morning for school. First thing i do everyday when i get it is wash my face a pull all this goopy stuff out of my eye. not even that sometimes i just go straight for my eye cause its so irritating and i can feel everything thats in it. its weird cause in the morning my eyes will be gooped shut and it kinda hurts, im so embarrassed about it and it pisses me off cause everyone will be so quick to tell me to not dig in my eyes but yet doesnt fully understand whats goin on. When i feel it i immanently have to get it out. I mainly use tissue but i have stopped because its like when i use tissue, more tissue gets stuck in my eyes as well. SO I MAINLY USE BROWN PAPER TOWELS. THE ONES IN PUBLIC RESTROOMS. Idk why but for me it helps me get a good grip and pull it out. Not only is this annoying but it also feels so good once i pull it out of my eye. I also have been to the doctor almost three times and he always gives me the same eye drops.all the drops do is make the goop more visible but what i need is for it to be gone completely. this really has a big effect on my life. I will sometimes be in the mirror for almost an hour trying to get everything out. even when i have to get ready for school im always late and even between classes i will be in the girls restroom for 20min just digging everything out.i cant wear make up on my eyes because i have to constantly dig in my eyes. but for some odd reason when im out havin fun or doing something that doesnt remind of digging in my eyes. i wont do it. but most of the time i have to dig in my eyes no matter what. This really ***** to go through but im just happy to know that im not the only person going through this, if anybody knows anything or anyone that can help me or let me know something ASAP!!! please & thank you soo much!!!
Back I'm 2002 when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, I made an appointmemt to an eye doctor about this gunk and for perscribed glasses. When I told the eye doctorabout the long stringy eye gunk peeling off my eyeballs, he said that it was the eyes way of shedding it's "skin". But continually on a daily basis? Come on! Seriously? What is this nasty crap that blurs my vision worse than my vision already is? It feels gross peeling off my eyeballs, but after it's off my eyeballs, it's nice to see again. I've had this problem since I was a kid, and I'm now 35 yeats old. Someone has to have a real logical and believable answer for this instead of eye shedding skin.
Nope, it's not skin shedding.  It's a kind of overproduction of mucus in response to irritation.  Unfortunately, in some people, it's self-perpetuating:  The more often they stick something in their eyes (Q-tips, fingers, Kleenex, whatever) to clean things out, the more irritated the eye becomes, and the more goo it produces in an effort to protect itself
You hit the nail on the head.  Your description of your situation is identical to mine.  I am sure there are "eye fishers" just as there are people who get off popping pimples… but that is not me.  As the day progresses, my eyes build up mucous.  Around 4pm I rinse my eyes with a sterile solution and close and massage my eyelids.  When I open my eyes, very large globs of mucous is situated at the base of my eyelids.  I wipe the mucous off with a clean towel.  And I can see again!  I have to repeat this process every 2 hours until bedtime.  After a lot of research, I feel my tears are too thick (not enough water) and so they accumulate behind my lids.  When too much accumulates, my vision becomes blurry because every time I blink .. this film coats my eye .. that is when I rinse .. I delay rinsing as long as I can.. but when my vision gets to where I am straining to see I have to rinse ..On the bright side.. this mucous does protect our eyes from scratches and such .. too bad it is so annoying ..
I have glasses and wore contacts (which I never wear because I can't get used to them) to a wedding. I came home and forgot to take the contacts out and showered. I took them out in the shower and the one suctioned to my eye and I had a hard time getting it out. After that, it felt like I had sand in my eye. I put drops in it and went to bed and woke up and felt okay. Then a few days later, it started feeling like I had something in my eye. I can feel the specific spot that I feel like there is a lash or something. Then the other day I started flushing it out and I pulled out what looked like filament, kind of like cotton fiber fill that goes into a pillow. It was stretchy and reminded me of a spider web. It has gotten a lot worse and I finally made an appointment to go to the eye doctor. For all you that have had this for years, I don't know how you deal with it! It is like constantly having something in your eye. Now my eyes are always sore and my eyelids are raw from rubbing because that is the only time I feel okay.

A lot of you said you can't stop digging in your eyes and it feels good. The only thing that feels good to me if when some of that mucus comes to the corner or my membrane and I can wipe it out. I think some of us suffer from the "mucus fishing syndrome" and some don't. I don't have any compulsion to touch my eye unless I feel like there is something in it. I am obsessed with trying to get out whatever it feels like it is that's in there.

Now I am dreading going to the eye doctor because I am afraid whatever he does for me, isn't going to help.
Okay so I had my appointment today and the doctor removed 2 "filaments" from my eye. I asked him what that meant and he said could be a piece of contact lens but that was all. He didn't know exactly what they were. Anyway, he gave me the typical prescription drops you all seem to have gotten at one time or another. So in my case, the irritant was causing the webby white crap in my eyes. I hope the relief I feel right now stays but I was talking to my dad and he said that when he wakes up, sometimes his eyes are swollen shut but usually it is when he is suffering from allergies. Maybe those of you who have gone to eye doctor and haven't had anything in your eyes have allergies. I am sure you have thought of that before, but maybe go to the allergist. I was thinking about it too and I know one of my friends was allergic to dust mites and she would wake up with her eyes swollen and crusted shut. Just a thought.
I've struggled with the same disease my whole life.. Sometimes it gets so irritated and so much mucus/boogers that it becomes insupportable and painful at times. I can relate with every comment posted on here. Aside from the sun, smoking, starting at computer screens, I've also found that beer/alcoholic beverages can also trigger the irritation or as some people call it "mucus fishing syndrome". I'm looking for a an Eye Specialist and will post any progress on here.
"Eye boogers" as I called it when I was a child... yes, I have had this as long as I can remember. First let me say that I have been a registered nurse for 15 years and I worked for an allergy specialist for 2 yrs. For those who keep referring to Mucus Fishing Syndrome, that's not the same as this, although this can be the initial cause of a person developing the syndrome. MFS is when a person continuously picks at the corners of the eye to hopefully get some stringy mucus. With the problem being discussed here, we do not have to constantly pick as those with MFS do; it just happens. We get the goo build up no matter what. You can wipe it out or wash it out, but regardless, it happens several times a day. If it stays in the corner of the eye, it gets hard ("eye coal"). For those of you looking for answers, it is because we have eyes with overactive mucus production - our eyes are fighting our allergens. While most people's eyes simply produce tears to keep the eye moist and flush away dust particles, etc., our eyes will not only produce tears but also produce the mucus to trap the particle. It forms the string because we blink, which rolls the mucus like dough, until it's in a string. Most likely in the mornings you will wipe the corners of your eyes to find it's not as stringy. That's why. It's almost like our eye is trying to attack the invader (dust, etc). The only thing that will help is prescription eye drops for allergies, but even then, that only helps with the itching and excessive "eye boogers". You'll still have them as long as you are exposed to the environment you are in which is triggering it. And most of all, don't worry about it, you're not weird.