Eye Care Community

Clear,Long,Stringy Goo in Eye Constantly

Hi, I am 31 and as long as I can remember I have had problems with my eyes. Througout the day I have to wash out eyes, out my fingers in eye to remove the stuff- I know this can't be good but it happens so often I have to. It is clear, and runs in the bottom of eye, on eye, top of inside eye, long stringy goo. I can lightly wet a cutip- put in inside corner of eye and spin. The stuff goes from top to bottom. It is such an irritant. What could this be- I went to dr before and they said it was allergies. All the time I dont think so. I have really long eyelashes could that have something to do with it. I cant even wear makeup because it makes much more stuff in eye. Please any advice will help.
I have had this problem as well for about the past 3 years (27 yrs old).  I thought that it was just something that happens from getting older, or my genetic predisposition to my dad's oily skin, but as it got progressively worse I realized something was wrong.  At the same time I had other health problems like skin issues (my skin had never had problems even when I was a teenager), sinus infections, ear infections, gastrointestinal issues, and more.  I learned a long time ago that the only thing you can be sure to get from a doctor's office is prescription medication that ends up hindering your health more than helping.  Western medicine is great with emergencies, and I am thankful for that, but when it comes to chronic conditions, well, not so much.  After years of researching my health issues I believe that they are all rooted in yeast overgrowth.  Concerning the eye strings- I have found that they are worse when I wear makeup and rarely do so anymore, but when I do I now use all organic makeup which helped.  To get the strings out:
1. After I wash my face morning and night I use Braggs Apple Cider Organic Vinegar diluted with water as a toner on my face
2. Next, I use grape fruit seed extract diluted (you can buy it from any vitaman store- it is antifungal, antibacterial, antimicrobial basically) and wipe my face and especially my eyelids with it on a cotton pad.
3. Lastly, but most importantly I take a qtip and put organic tea tree oil on it which is also antifungal and antibacterial and soothing.  I then use the qtip to gently sweep my eye and collect the strings.  During the day whenever I have the floater strings that blind me I simply wash my hands and repeat the above method with the qtip.  The best thing is that the strings cling to the tea tree oil and easily come out while also dissolving smaller strings and soothing your eyes.  Be warned, it may burn (but in a good way-like mint body was tingles your skin).  
The above posting by lilly 1307 is not good advice. Anyone that takes time to read all these posts or that has researched "mucous fishing syndrome" will note that the individuals set up some sort of self-perpetuating routine that involves daily repetitive digging, flushing, rubbing the eye. If the method above was so good and her problem was a yeast infection one would suspect a cure after several weeks of this. Most individuals can be helped greatly by working with an Eye MD ophthalmologist, a cornea specialist if necessary. First ruling out all the major causes. the most common underlying problem is dry eyes and in many of these individuals long term Restasis works better than anything else.  
Everyone listen! You have to STOP touching your eyes!! Yes, i know this is hard, but you must! I have the same thing as you and it's getting better, at first it's really hard, but it'll get easier. If it gets too much then excuse yourself to the bathroom and wash your face. As well as not touching your eyes use whatever "remedies" you have whether it's eye drops or hot tea bags. It'll start getting better and soon disappear!
Thanks  Yes touching your eye is like the cat chasing its tail. It perpetuates the problem and makes it worse and the more you touch the more "mucus" you produce.
This is not an emotional compulsion.  Fishing the mucus out is a necessity because it feels like there is always something in there because there is - the mucus building up.
I am so sick of people telling me there's nothing in your eyes as I pull a stringy thing out of my eye right in front of them. And I am sick of people and doctors telling me it's part of anxiety or all in my head or mucus fishing syndrome!
Its not make up - I stopped wearing makeup long ago and still have this horrible problem.
educate yourself with papers on mucous fishing syndrome:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11712630

http://www.reviewofoptometry.com/content/c/25906/

Im only 15 years old now, im having the same problem like this since i was 13. White long thin (sort of rheum) or eye mucus whatever they call it is coming out to my eyes. Specifically at the bottom part, it is itchy. Very very itchy and sometimes when it is so itchy i ccant help it but to rub and rub it then it became reddish and soon it hurts. Im having this imagination that is it possible that it has worms? Ohmy. Im so nervous about it. Ive had a lot of research, luckily it only says it could be allergies or maybe because of stress something like that. But, i know i have to be sure what it is. Please help me. I have a classmate who had the same case as mine one day she came to school with wounds around her eyes i asked her what happened to it she said, i rubbed and rubbed her eyes causing it to irritate. Now, it just brought me more nervous. What should i do?
Tell your parents about the problem if they don't already know. Then get in to see an Eye MD ophthalmologist for exam and treatment. At your age the problem is usually allergy and there are drops and treatments that should be able to help you.
I have the EXACT same problem.  I was told it could possibly Recurrent Cornea Erosion, but I dont think so.  For those of you using tissues, or paper towels to get the goop out, I recommend, what I do.  Get a high quality Qtip.  Saturate it with some form of natural tears.  I dlime Thera Tears. Carefully run along the bottom and top inside lid.  Make sure its good and wet with the natural tears and do it gently so you don't pull on the cornea.  afterwards, put in a drop or 2 of natural tears [I use the single use (no preservatives)].  Wont cure the problem, but is atbleast a better waybto get rhat gunk out anyways.
=
I too have this problem...dry eye, Dr says no cure.  As far as not getting those strings out, they actually skew your vision until they are removed with a q tip
Tried EVERYTHING, eyes always itching....
Go to Dr. Hagan's home page. Scroll throught the "Journal Postings" and read the articles on dry eyes. Much can be done to help.
Allergic conjuctivitis (see chart by going to link posted below)

Find out what you are allergic to! (And stop putting q-tips, etc, in your eyes!)

http://www.familyhealthonline.ca/fho/familymedicine/FM_redEyes_FHd12.asp
Really really irritating now.... dry, sore, scratchy ,weeping, Lucas filled eye's I feel disgusting .. can't sit for 5 mins in front of people in fear I have something disgusting in my eye... has it for bout 5 year's now . Taking over my life.
Your profile does not say where you live. See an ophthalmologist that specialists in disease of the cornea.  "Mucous Fishing Syndrome" can be helped. You may need to go on an advanced medication such as Restasis.

JCH MD
I have this exact problem, I also thought it had something to do with my eyelashes because they are super long. My dad has this problem too but he gets it because he has hay fever and the doctor told him that was the reason he gets it so I kind of self diagnosed myself due to him. So if you suffer with hay fever that could possibly be the reason xox
=
I recently went to an eye doctor with complaints about chronic dry eye and stringy stuff coming out of my eyes all the time. Unexpectedly the doctor asked me if my mouth was dry also. I told him yes as it has been dry for several months. He then sent me for blood work to test me for Sjogren's syndrome an autoimmune disease that destroys all of your moisture in your eyes and your mouth initially. Because it affects your saliva glands for your mouth and for your eyes. I suggest anyone that has chronic dry eye check out Sjogren's syndrome online and learn more about it. I have been waiting for the test results for 5 days now and I was told it would take up to 6 days for the blood work to come back to see if I have this disease. I really hope I do not have it because it can cause many other complications within one's body because all organs require moisture to function correctly. Very scary wait.
Hope you don't have it either.  It's possible to have dry eye and dry mouth without having Sj Synd.  The definitive treatment for moderate or severe dry eyes is Restasis or the newly released Xiidra.   Oral omega 3 (fish, kreel or flax seed oil) is also good therapy. Newest artificial tear is Retaine the first 4th generation artificial tear available without prescription at Walgreens and CVS.
Yes the eye doctor did give me a prescription for Restasis. I have had terrible rheumatoid arthritis like symptoms in both of my feet for many years. I have also been throwing up and having terrible digestive disorders for nearly three years straight now having to go to many emergency room visits to get hydrated. More recently I have been unable to void my bladder fully also. Sure does seem like I have quite a few of the same symptoms that Sjogren's syndrome presents. I am now using Biotene toothpaste and Biotene mouthwash for my dry mouth. I also purchased sugar free lozenges to eat during the day for what  they may offer my dry mouth. I just basically feel sick I do not feel well at all. I should be getting the results of the blood work today. Yikes!
You have a variety of problems that need the services of many type of specialists. My wife and I are both on Restasis. Know that it often stings and burns when you start generally gets better after 2-3 weeks. Sometimes steroid drops are prescribed for the first week or two.   Both my wife and I were miserable with dry eyes. We noticed an improvement after 3-4 months and at 6-7 months were totally asymptomatic. She has been on restasis 7 years and me about 2. We never use artificial tears anymore where before we were using 4-6 times/day with limited relief.  You have to be very patient but its well worth the wait. I have many happy patients on restasis.
Do you know what Sjogren's syndrome is. The first two signs or symptoms of this disease is chronic dry eyes and dry mouth. You might want to possibly maybe get tested for Sjogren's syndrome. It is a autoimmune disease that attacks all of your salivary glands and could also involve other parts of your body including skin dry skin that is and problems with internal organs as well.