Eye Care Community
21.9k Members
1629735 tn?1397188005

Congenital ptosis problem

I have this problem since my birth.I have ptosis in my left eye. I know it is curable.

1) But to whom will I have my first checkup, an opthomologist?

2) Currently, I am exatly 17 years of age. Can I have a surgery at this age and will I have any side effects if I had any surgery. I have checked in the net about this. I need to hear from a specialist.
1 Responses
233488 tn?1310696703
You need to see an ophthalmologist but one with specific special training in ptosis surgery. They are called "oculo-plastic surgeons" (not plastic surgeons)   Your best luck might come in going to a medical school department of ophthalmology.

NOTE: ptosis since birth is called "congential ptosis" and while surgery can often improve it the eye cannot be made to be completely normal because the eyelid lacks proper innervation and the muscle structure is not normal.

Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Kansas City, MO
Avatar universal
Grand Prairie, TX
Avatar universal
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.