Eye Care Community

Congenital ptosis problem

I have this problem since my birth.I have ptosis in my left eye. I know it is curable.

1) But to whom will I have my first checkup, an opthomologist?

2) Currently, I am exatly 17 years of age. Can I have a surgery at this age and will I have any side effects if I had any surgery. I have checked in the net about this. I need to hear from a specialist.
You need to see an ophthalmologist but one with specific special training in ptosis surgery. They are called "oculo-plastic surgeons" (not plastic surgeons)   Your best luck might come in going to a medical school department of ophthalmology.

NOTE: ptosis since birth is called "congential ptosis" and while surgery can often improve it the eye cannot be made to be completely normal because the eyelid lacks proper innervation and the muscle structure is not normal.

JCH MD