Eye Care Community

Conjunctival nevus

I have a freckle in my eye and i think it occurred since I was born or when I was very young and I am now 18. But a small brown spot beneath the large one appeared in the last half of the year and its color becomes darker since then. Also there is another spot touching the limbus. Does this mean the nevus reach the cornea?

I've read some literature and I'm now wondering is this a conjunctival nevus or something called PAM (primary acquired melanosis) as does conjunctival nevus grow in separated spots? Does it seem normal or not? Should I remove it?
If its getting bigger or other spots appearing I would suggest you consult an ophthalmologist. A biopsy, a simple procedure, is often necessary to determine the exact diagnosis. Sometimes an excisional biopsy is done where most or all of the pigmented spot is removed.

JCH MD
I'm afraid of the chance of recurrence or even turning malignant if the pigmented spot is not removed completely. Does that usually happen?
This surgery is relatively minor. You can discuss with your ophthalmic surgeon removing it entirely to alleviate your concerns and also to remove it for cosmetic reasons. The risk of this being malignant or even pre-malignant are low.

JCH MD
Thank you Dr.
You are welcome
There's one more question Dr. cuz I'm still concerned about it.

From the picture I attached, does the brown patch seem more like a nevus or PAM to you? And I'm eighteen year old asian female.

Sorry to bother you Dr. and thank you again.
The pigmented spots on the conjunctiva found in dark complexioned people are called racial conjunctival pigmentation. These are numerous but don't tend to increase over time. So its more like that you have developed a acquired conj nevus.  If you look at PAM pictures on Google images you'll see they tend to be much larger, more elevated, more irregular in shape.

JCH MD